Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I don't care if it was 10 generations old - I cannot possibly imagine a brand new body that surpasses the K5's. It captures the very best in weather sealing, ergonomics, button layout, and compactness. In my admittedly very biased opinion, the trophy for the engineering of an APS-C DSLR body has been retired.
I like the body as well but they can surely do things to improve it.
For one is a joystick type controll instead of a 4 way button, i at least find that more pleasant to use.
Dual-card slot is also on my list, and indeed the SD door can be made better.
More buttons are welcome, i never found the dual purpose 4way button to work for me, i like the Fn menu of the K10D and K20D much better.
As long as they keep the ergonimcs good, the camera small and the looks the same style i won't complain.

QuoteOriginally posted by fast50 Quote
Not in the UK it's not. The RRP of the K-01 body is £629, while the K-5 body is currently retailing for £699.
But you're comparing market price with a suggested sale price and that's not the same.
Also the K5 is 1,5 years old so it has been reduced in price over the years.
Wanna bet that the K-01 will be £549,- within a month.

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I have a hunch that you're correct on this. I think the only reason they haven't responded to the issue is that in their judgment, it isn't serious enough to warrant a recall of K-rs (and possibly K-5s, tho it seems to have got some relief via firmware). I have to wonder if the AF sensor on the K-5 had a better IR filter already in place compared to the K-r, but not quite good enough.
I've also the same feeling, it would cost them quite a bit off money since they also need to call back the 645D as well...
I'm now thinking of making a DIY solution by cutting a piece of IR filter and place it infront of the opening of the AF, i think that should do the job.

02-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I'm now thinking of making a DIY solution by cutting a piece of IR filter and place it infront of the opening of the AF, i think that should do the job.
Interesting idea, not sure if it would help or hinder though. Be sure to post about it if you try it. I've thought about experimenting with an IR cutting filter on the end of the lens, but honestly I have great difficulty reliably reproducing the issue with my copy at all. Then again, I'm not shooting faster than f./2, but I'd think it should be somewhat apparent at that aperture. IR cutting filters are a bit on the expensive side, and difficult to find, too. I did find some here if it's any use to you.
02-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the K-r replacement will end up being a mirrorless K-5 replica, and the K-5's replacement will become a mirrorless FF/APS-H.. as the previous price point of the K-r is now covered with the K-01, which I'm hoping will end up being their bottom end of their market. As much as I like OVF's I think if Pentax wants to do well, they need to jump onto mirrorless and run with it full tilt.. get a GREAT EVF and they would be set.
02-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No way will MILC phase out any DSLR's in the next few years. We've been told this pretty clearly in the management releases and interviews.

We were told the plan for new DSLR's is compact size and better OVF coverage. We're on the way to four APS-C bodies if I'm reading the executive-speak correctly:
K-r replacement,
K300D (basic controls but WR like K200D),
K-5 replacement,
K30D (top of the line). Maybe the K30D will resurrect the K10/K20D body.

02-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I have no issues with any of your predictions, except one:

I don't care if it was 10 generations old - I cannot possibly imagine a brand new body that surpasses the K5's. It captures the very best in weather sealing, ergonomics, button layout, and compactness. In my admittedly very biased opinion, the trophy for the engineering of an APS-C DSLR body has been retired.

-Heie

Edit to add: In case you haven't seen this comparison.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7018/6625400559_f9c38fa2ae_o.jpg - Click on the image one more time after clicking on the link.

(It took me forever to make, so I try to use it as much as possible. You're welcome )
+1, that's a real nice mock up for comparison but you should have used a silver K-5 for better contrast.
02-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Sony's 16MP and 24MP sensors are so good, that Pentax will have to look at other factors to nudge above the competition. One is the 100% OVFs that interviews have already spoken of, the other is surely FF.

I wouldn't like to be invested in M4/3 when those pesky Pentaxians are rocking FF!
02-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I have no issues with any of your predictions, except one:

-Heie

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7018/6625400559_f9c38fa2ae_o.jpg - Click on the image one more time after clicking on the link.

(It took me forever to make, so I try to use it as much as possible. You're welcome )
Nice comparison. Thanks! I've always considered the K-7/K-5 bodies to be second to none.

02-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Excellent work ! Is that with or without batteries in all cases ?
02-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Love the comparison views! But the K-5 should have had the grip on for the ones with the 1DX and the D3s IMO, still a much smaller unit.. and now as far as IQ/size goes.. look at the K-01 and the Fuji Xpro sizes compared to these big Nikon/Canon monsters.
02-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I like the body as well but they can surely do things to improve it. For one is a joystick type controll instead of a 4 way button, i at least find that more pleasant to use. Dual-card slot is also on my list, and indeed the SD door can be made better. More buttons are welcome, i never found the dual purpose 4way button to work for me, i like the Fn menu of the K10D and K20D much better. As long as they keep the ergonimcs good, the camera small and the looks the same style i won't complain.
I am indifferent about the joystick honestly...although I am sure it will help in cold weather when using thick gloves. The one thing I don't understand, though, is what is everyone's obsession with dual SD cards? are you really need that much space? I have three cards in my bag, one of which is a 32gb...I don't understand this...

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
+1, that's a real nice mock up for comparison but you should have used a silver K-5 for better contrast.
I would have LOVED to, but they didn't have the silver one at Camera Size Comparison. The way I did it was to download every available angle for every camera you see in the comparison, and then overlap them in Gimp (poor man's photoshop). Any other database of photos and I would not have been able to guarantee size integrity.

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Nice comparison. Thanks! I've always considered the K-7/K-5 bodies to be second to none.
Wholeheartedly agree. They really are.

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Excellent work ! Is that with or without batteries in all cases ?
That is the weight of each camera with their specific battery.

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Love the comparison views! But the K-5 should have had the grip on for the ones with the 1DX and the D3s IMO, still a much smaller unit.. and now as far as IQ/size goes.. look at the K-01 and the Fuji Xpro sizes compared to these big Nikon/Canon monsters.
Again, camerasize.com didn't have the battery grip, although in retrospect, it just occurred to me that I could have trip pixel matching the two bodies of a gripped and non-gripped version. Something to consider...

But I am glad everyone enjoyed the comparison. Like I said in my original posting of it - there just isn't anything out there to really get a comprehensive comparison of just how compact the K5 is. Please do not feel that there is any copyright on it - I made it for the Pentax Community to share - go forth and advertise the superiority of the K5

-Heie