Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Thoughts on the upcoming DSLR's

Some speculation about the Kr and K5 replacements that are due this year.

With the K-01 out we have some bases to speculate on.

These are my thoughts
Kr replacement.
Since the Kr body is quite new i'm thinking they will reuse it for the replacement and only upgrade the hardware.
Since the K-01 is placed at a low price point it makes sense that the Kr would be just as capable so i figure that it will use the same hardware as the K-01.
So basically we are talking about a Kr camera with the sensor and processor of the K-01, this makes the most sense in the placement of the Kr and when we look at developing and production cost.
If the electronic hardware is the same as the K-01 it would save Pentax a lot of money.

K5 replacement.
Since the body is already two generations old it will have a new one I believe.
The processor will be the same as the K-01 but with RAM upgrade and most likely it might have the Sony 24mp sensor.
The 24mp sensor does preform almost just as well as the current 16mp sensor but to carry the same sensor across the whole range doesn't make much sense from a marketing standpoint.
The 24mp sensor will make it look more as an upgrade over the K5 model and as a step up if the Kr replacement will get the 16mp sensor.
I do wonder if they will give the K5 repalcement a dual slot SD card or SD + XQD slot maybe?

Beside this I do really expect an improved AF system because the current one is to sensitive for IR light which cause those AF problems... so i'm expecting a fix for that, maybe simply an IR filter.

What do you think about this, does this make any sense for things we might expect or do you expect something different?

02-04-2012, 08:22 AM - 5 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no issues with any of your predictions, except one:

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Since the body is already two generations old it will have a new one I believe.
I don't care if it was 10 generations old - I cannot possibly imagine a brand new body that surpasses the K5's. It captures the very best in weather sealing, ergonomics, button layout, and compactness. In my admittedly very biased opinion, the trophy for the engineering of an APS-C DSLR body has been retired.

-Heie

Edit to add: In case you haven't seen this comparison.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7018/6625400559_f9c38fa2ae_o.jpg - Click on the image one more time after clicking on the link.

(It took me forever to make, so I try to use it as much as possible. You're welcome )

Last edited by Heie; 02-04-2012 at 08:32 AM.
02-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Your speculations make a lot of sense. I'm also hoping for a hybrid OVF/EVF in the "K-3", but I'm not holding my breath. As for bodies, a slightly smaller body for the K-r replacement would be good.
02-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
As for bodies, a slightly smaller body for the K-r replacement would be good.
That's called a K-x. The only reason it got bigger was to add the focus points everyone seemed to need.

02-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I don't care if it was 10 generations old - I cannot possibly imagine a brand new body that surpasses the K5's. It captures the very best in weather sealing, ergonomics, button layout, and compactness. In my admittedly very biased opinion, the trophy for the engineering of an APS-C DSLR body has been retired.
You are absolutely right, the K5 body is great.

That Canon EOS 1DX is HUGE 1,3 Kg!!!
02-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't care if it was 10 generations old - I cannot possibly imagine a brand new body that surpasses the K5's.
The shape is fine, but I want separate controls for shutter, aperture and ISO (or compensation in automatic modes). They can either uncripple the mount or add a third wheel. (Both would be ideal.)
02-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Forum Member

Since the K-01 is placed at a low price point
Not in the UK it's not. The RRP of the K-01 body is £629, while the K-5 body is currently retailing for £699.

02-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If the recent past is a clue (who knows now with Ricoh at the wheel), they seem to come around every 16 months or so. If that holds true, we should see something in April.

K10d - released Sept 2006
K10d Grand Prix - released June 2007
K20d - released Jan 2008
K20d Titan - released Mar 2009
K-7 - released May 2009
K-7 Silver - released Mar 2010
K-5 - released Oct 2010
K-5 Silver - released Mar 2011
K-? April 2012?

I'd prefer our existing MP or fewer pixels, but better DR and noise. A complete overhaul of AF is needed IMHO. A polish to the electronics would help (touch screen etc)
02-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I love the k-5/7 ergonomics, but the k10/20 suggest a 2 generation use of a body design. So, while I hope it doesn't happen, I think a new body design will happen.

New processor (prime m) and an increase in ram.

If the body has to change, dual sd card slots.

I don't need more resolution, but a 24mp sensor seems likely.

That's all I can come up with. The k-7/5 have met all my needs thus far, so I'm admittedly lacking imagination at this point.
02-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Beside this I do really expect an improved AF system because the current one is to sensitive for IR light which cause those AF problems... so i'm expecting a fix for that, maybe simply an IR filter.
I have a hunch that you're correct on this. I think the only reason they haven't responded to the issue is that in their judgment, it isn't serious enough to warrant a recall of K-rs (and possibly K-5s, tho it seems to have got some relief via firmware). I have to wonder if the AF sensor on the K-5 had a better IR filter already in place compared to the K-r, but not quite good enough.
02-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Oh yeah, another thing I'd like to see changed on the K-5 body: Bring back the K10/K20 style card door.
02-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
The shape is fine, but I want separate controls for shutter, aperture and ISO (or compensation in automatic modes). They can either uncripple the mount or add a third wheel. (Both would be ideal.)
Uhm....you already have all of that. I completely fail to recognize what is so "crippling" about the way the ISO and compensation is adjusted on the K5 currently. I don't use the camera as much as I should (I spend way too much time on online forums reading about photography than actually doing it ), but when I am shooting, I still have never had a problem adjusting any of the the big 4 paramenters (ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture, and compensation), neither accurately (the parameter that I intended to change) nor quickly/efficiently.
02-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pontax Quote
You are absolutely right
Finally, some reasonable people
02-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That's called a K-x. The only reason it got bigger was to add the focus points everyone seemed to need.
Not true. That would explain the different and higher pentaprism, but not the wider and higher (sans pentaprism) body. I think they should make the next model look slender and "cute" and try to make it slightly more lightweight, in order to increase the appeal among those who try to decide between mirrorless and DSLR.
02-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Uhm....you already have all of that. I completely fail to recognize what is so "crippling" about the way the ISO and compensation is adjusted on the K5 currently. I don't use the camera as much as I should (I spend way too much time on online forums reading about photography than actually doing it ), but when I am shooting, I still have never had a problem adjusting any of the the big 4 paramenters (ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture, and compensation), neither accurately (the parameter that I intended to change) nor quickly/efficiently.
I never said the current way was crippling, I said I wanted separate physical controls. (I did say it had a crippled mount, which seems to be the generally accepted term. I'll rephrase it as "add back the aperture feeler to the mount" if you want. Of course that would make old lenses better than new lenses, so a third wheel seems like a more likely option. Not that either is actually going to happen.)

To be clear, I want to be able to teach my fingers where the controls are. This means they can't move between modes (not the ones I use anyway), and they have to be separate, not the same ones with a qualifier. I've had the K-5 long enough to be sure it will never be as easy for me to adjust the ISO as the other two (in M, which I usually use).