Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Around San Diego...

Hi all,

Often see people post pictures of local places here that people from other area doesn't aware of.... so I think I should ask forum member living around San Diego for some interesting places (photogenic places) for my upcoming visit to San Diego.

Will be there around 3/28-4/2, have about 5 days.

I like hiking, visiting scenic locations (scenic drive), interesting historic small towns, interesting geographical features (caves, volcanoes, asteroid).
Will have chance in the city at least a day, so any great places to take pictures around the city?

Currently the plan is drive to Joshua NP, but hope you could introduce other interesting places.

Thanks in advance.

02-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hopefully you get some responses. I will be in San Diego for a couple of days at the end of this month. We plan on visiting the zoo and the wild seal lions at La Jolla.
Sea Lions ? La Jolla Marine Life
02-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #3

Hi,
I had been to San Diego last year... my 2 cents here
1. I don't think the Zoo and Balboa park kind of places can actually give more photographic opportunities. I found them too expensive ($40+ a day and insane food prizes) and not ideal for photography unless you want to shoot caged animals and birds.
2. A walk around the down town San Diego with a wide angle lens, you can actually capture some architecture shots. You can also do some shooting in the moody old town.
3. A trip to Torrey Pines state park will give you bird shooting opportunities. Many photographers suggested me, but I couldn't make it.
4. Go to some beaches where you can shoot cityscapes (I went to only one and it was far away from the city)
5. San Diego safari park could be interesting if you like wildlife (not the zoo...)

Google for more interesting places...All the best for great shooting...and do post some pics...

Cheers
Guna
02-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Guna. Torrey Pines sounds interesting, I hadn't heard of that one before. I think you're right about the zoo, I'm trying to scratch it, but my wife isn't sure. This page has some interesting possibilities:
San Diego Attractions | Things to do in San Diego | San Diego Activities

The link I posted above is wrong. It's not the sea lions we'll be viewing, it's the harbor seals. Aparently they have pups this time of year.
La Jolla Friends of the Seals - Preserving a Unique Natural Treasure

I expect to go to the Salton Sea for migratory waterfowl, and possibly Joshua Tree National Park. We visited the park a couple of years ago.

Last edited by audiobomber; 02-06-2012 at 07:48 AM.
02-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I expect to go to the Salton Sea for migratory waterfowl, and possibly Joshua Tree National Park
Should be a good one. Seems you will have a tough time deciding where to go and where not to; 2 days is very less a time for San Diego. A word of caution - on weekends the frequency of buses (public transport) is less (or was it only for the area I was put up???). Plan accordingly if you rely on it... happy shooting.

Cheers
Guna
02-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gut1kor Quote
Should be a good one. Seems you will have a tough time deciding where to go and where not to; 2 days is very less a time for San Diego. A word of caution - on weekends the frequency of buses (public transport) is less (or was it only for the area I was put up???). Plan accordingly if you rely on it... happy shooting.

Cheers
Guna
Yes, that is too much to do in two days. To clarify, we will be stopping at La Jolla to see the seals on the way from LA to San Diego, two nights in San Diego, then off to Palm Desert for a week. I will visit Salton Sea and Joshua Tree from Palm Desert.

Our hotel is located on the Bay in San Diego, so we're near the action, and we've rented an SUV. I'm looking forward to the drive through the mountains to reach palm Desert. We visited The Living Desert zoo in Palm Desert two years ago and may do that again, because my sister-in-law is volunteering there for a couple of months. I'm not that interested in another visit though. One afternoon was enough to see everything.

Living Desert photos:

02-21-2012, 05:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Well, having lived in San Diego for over 20 years I will say that the photo opportunities are so diverse that it just depends on the types of things you are interested in. A few things that come to mind are Balboa Park (the park not the zoo), La Jolla cove, UCSD + SCIO campus, Anza Borrego state park (wild flowers might be blooming at that time), Mt Laguna observatory, The Boardwalk at Mission Beach, Coronado Island ( you can get great downtown SD shots from here), Coronado Hotel...there is more but you could easily be overwhelmed having only a couple of days. Its a beautiful city so above all else enjoy your time in SD and there is also great dinning to be had around town as well.

Last edited by gda13; 02-21-2012 at 10:00 AM.
02-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Point Loma is the finger of land pointing south, across the bay from SD. Lighthouse, tidepools/rocks, Ft Rosecrans military cemetery, Juan Cabrillo monument and visitor center.

02-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Kyle I get homesick just looking at those photos...nice shots by the way.
02-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
Kyle I get homesick just looking at those photos...nice shots by the way.
Thanks! I was down there 2 weekends ago.