Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #1

Pentax D800 equivalent

With the new Nikon D800 just announced and all of the full frame rumors going around here I had a question.
Could Pentax build a sub $3000.00 full frame camera, (K-5 full frame upgraded features to compete with the D800)?
I am not asking will they actually do that but could they hit that price point or would the lower sales volume prevent Pentax from pricing competitively with Nikon?

02-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I'm not too sure if Pentax could do it or not but I don't really need that many MP any way.

I'll be happy with a 16-20MP FF thank you
02-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
I would say that I don't need that many MP either, I just wonder if they could produce any type of full frame dslr that does not land in the Sigma SD1 price range. I think for the right camera I could be convinced to spend 2500, if we also got a new flash system (1/250 sync or better) I might even push my budget closer to 3000.
02-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Doesn't Sony also have a 24 MP full frame sensor coming out? Would that help with reducing the price?

02-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

They could do it if they wanted. Rumor has it...
02-07-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rumor has it we might see a Pentax in 2013...but I wouldn't consider it a credible one.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Last year the D7000 and K-5 came out at about the same time with pretty much the same Sony sensors. The Pentax version cost a little bit more. I think the same would hold true of a Pentax D800.

02-07-2012, 01:59 AM   #8
Forum Member

There was a time when I was keen on owning a full frame body. But then they were too expensive [and still are] and I continued to shoot using aps-c sensor based cameras and invested in a lot of gear in it plus I learnt a lot using these systems. Now I have got so used to shooting with it I somehow dont wanna switch over to a full frame body and adopt a new shooting style and invest in new gear and start all over again.
02-07-2012, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Last year the D7000 and K-5 came out at about the same time with pretty much the same Sony sensors. The Pentax version cost a little bit more. I think the same would hold true of a Pentax D800.
I agree, but I think they could also match the price or come in a bit lower, considering that:

1) It would be released much later

2) It wouldn't have to match the specs (e.g. 24MP, or 16MP if high ISO like the D4, would be great). In fact, I'd love to see 16MP high ISO - keeping the MP lower would also avoid perceived overlap with the MF 645D (notice this is something neither Canon nor Nikon needs to worry about).

Come to think of it, this would make Pentax unique (having both FF and MF 645D). It would make them simultaneously look more old school and a bit more serious then any other camera manufacturer - go Ricoh! Think about it, no one else is in both MF and standard DSLRs. And if the D800E can truly rival MF (which I rather doubt for at least another generation) Pentax would already be poised to enter that market, as long as they were already into FF and had the FF lens line going.

What Pentax really needs here is to get third party lens makers to more completely support K-mount again, as well as specifically sponsoring/promoting third party tethering and improving flash/strobe support (like working out deals with Pocket Wizard and Paul C. Buff to support Pentax TTL).

Last edited by DSims; 02-07-2012 at 03:24 AM.
02-07-2012, 03:45 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I think pentax could certainly do it, though maybe at a small premium
02-07-2012, 05:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by usrbrv8 Quote
With the new Nikon D800 just announced and all of the full frame rumors going around here I had a question.
Could Pentax build a sub $3000.00 full frame camera, (K-5 full frame upgraded features to compete with the D800)?
I am not asking will they actually do that but could they hit that price point or would the lower sales volume prevent Pentax from pricing competitively with Nikon?
I think they could, though I'm not sure how wise this would be considering the direction of things with respect to mirrorless advancements etc. For example, Fuji has shown us that it's possible to bring crop sensor close to FF performance in terms of DOF performance.

Having said that I often get the feeling that Pentax's position is the most beneficial in terms of competitive market placement. That is to say that the FF market seems to be both highly competitive and expensive to maintain.
02-07-2012, 05:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
But the K5 is weathersealed and has a full magnesium body, D7000 only has a magnesium backside, the front is plastic so no wonder the K5 cost a little bit more
02-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

My wishful thought: Pentax will come up with the first FF MILC. After all, it makes a lot of sense to put a FF sensor in a K mount MILC, which can't get as light as a NEX...
02-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

My big dreams:

1) World peace
2) Economic equality
3) Pentax digital FF
4) A pet goat

I fear the goat will be the only if these I'll see in my lifetime.
02-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Lol...my wife wants a pet goat. And a cow, some horses, and chickens. Basically a farm.

Anyhow, it's a wonderful time if you're a gearhead with so many selections and such. I could totally see Pentax with a full frame if they source out Sony's sensors like they did with the K-5. I would love to see them with similar functionality as the Nikons with the option to switch to an APS-C/cropped mode. Since they seem to be all about backwards lens compatibility, that would be a huge selling point making a lot of Pentax DA lens owners very happy (myself included). Does it make financial sense for them to make a full frame? Who knows, but there certainly is a demand for that type of camera (i.e. just look at people salivating on the D800 threads).

But I also agree with others in the idea of not making a "me too" product. There needs to be something distinguishing, aside from "design" (*k-01*), that sets their FF camera apart from others. I'm also thinking mirrorless is the way to go.