Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The State of Pentax after..

..release of the Q
..merging with Ricoh, not Hoya, edited that out...
..retiring the k-r, leaving a slot to be filled
..introducing the K-01 and the 40mm XS
..provide new lenses for the 645D, new DA lenses, new Q stuff

I've only been on this forum since last April and all I knew on this forum was a constant moan and groan of what we don't have. So this looks pretty good to me so far.

Last edited by JinDesu; 02-08-2012 at 02:56 PM.
02-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
The State of Pentax after..

..release of the Q
..merging with Hoya
..retiring the k-r, leaving a slot to be filled
..introducing the K-01 and the 40mm XS
..provide new lenses for the 645D, new DA lenses, new Q stuff

I've only been on this forum since last April and all I knew on this forum was a constant moan and groan of what we don't have. So this looks pretty good to me so far.
This actually is a change. Hoya was good and bad but moved fairly slowly; this is Ricoh and they're going to stir things up.
02-08-2012, 03:37 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ricoh want to compete with the best to show who's the best. A good thing this company is going to revive and kick some butt (i hope).
05-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #19

Technology gap ?

Today, i visited a photo store to see if they got Pentax equipment. He only got 2 zooms, 1 standard 18-55 and one high end DA 16-50 selling at a high price. We started to talk about the brand and what he told me would have make any fanboy cringe (i am not a fanboy, but i do love Pentax so a part of me was buthurt).

He said Pentax might never reach the level of Canikon anymore since the gap is now too huge. He bet that Ricoh will let Pentax down within 5 years due to this poor rentability. He recognize the great build quality of Pentax cameras, but wouldn't recommend Pentax against a Nikon or a Canon DSLR. "a WORLD of difference, even in optical performance". He also told me the processor performance of a Nikon 3100 is better than the K-5, which surprised me since i always doubted that.

What makes me feel blue about this is since we all experienced some well-known issues of Pentax cameras (such as AF, eg), what have said this professional with 30 years in the field might have some truth in it. Now, i know performances of the camera aren't everything in photography(eg Cartier Bresson pics aren't always even "sharp" ) but they can be helpful for sure in some situations (quick AF, etc).

I hope Ricoh will prove this seller wrong because i love my K-5, its IQ, its ergonomic, its size, its retro-compatibility...
He had no doubts whatsoever about what he said... for him it's no hope for Pentax anymore...

Last edited by OrbitalChiller; 05-02-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: nikon 3100 instead of canon
05-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Most of the "professionals" I know are Nikon fan boys.

QuoteQuote:
He bet that Ricoh will let Pentax down within 5 years due to this poor rentability.
Funny how the same guys who won't rent you Pentax lens, then say it has "poor rentability". And really, what does a term like "rentability" which largely relates to market share, have to do with anything?

You will meet more absolute knobs behind the counter at camera stores than almost anywhere else. Long story short, if the guy had a clue, he wouldn't be behind the counter at a camera store. They tend to be a haven for guys who didn't make it behind the lens. Their biases and lack of any real camera sense is what got them where they are. Honestly, some of my lesser talented high school students ended up behind the counter at camera stores.

QuoteQuote:
He also told me the processor performance of a Nikon 3100 is better than the K-5, which surprised me since i always doubted that.
Based on what? Definitely not sensor rating , DR, colour depth or rendition, so what the hell was he talking about? How long it takes to process the image would possibly be his only refuge on that one. If the guy said that to me. The first thing I'd say would be "Oh ya? show me!" Guys with serious biases, don't change them just because they get behind the desk at a camera store. If they'd know Nikon, they want to sell Nikon, and in a way that's fair, because when you come back looking for help they know what they're talking about. But, they be more honest if they'd just say, "I don't really know Pentax, but that guy over there does, go talk to him." But, almost every guy I've met behind the counter acts like they know more than I do, and when it turns out they don't, they get all sheepish and quiet.
05-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My buddy shoots with a D3x and it's a great camera. No issues with that. But he has a great job and can afford to put out that kind of money. But then again, what the hell is "pure photography, and who made him the arbitrator of what that is? The issue is, can I get it done with a Pentax? And the answer is absolutely. The next issue is , if I absolutely nail the shot with my Pentax, will it still be inferior to a Canon or Nikon image... and the answer is absolutely not. What you pay for how much ease of use after those two things is a question of how much money you have and what that performance might mean to you. There are cases where a more expensive system will get shots you won't get with your Pentax, and when you hit that wall, it's time to move on, (faster auto-focus in a sports situation can be the difference between getting a shot and getting nothing.) Many on this forum have moved on. I'm sure this guy also thinks the reason he's behind the counter at a camera store instead of shooting for fashion like benjikan, is because he couldn't afford good enough equipment. That's a really good mindset for a salesman, pretty pathetic for a photographer.
05-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #22

EDIT: oops, i ve deleted by accident my post which was in #21:
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Most of the "professionals" I know are Nikon fan boys.
lol. He did told me that Nikon is probably the most reliable DSLR manufacturer nowadays, in terms of pure photography.
But, hey, he might be right; for what i know, Nikon D800 and D4 are kick ♥ss cameras.

He was talking about 100% crops displaying in Photoshop (i emphase that words since it might have some reasons) using a calibrated screen.

05-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You will meet more absolute knobs behind the counter at camera stores than almost anywhere else.
I agree however my experience was quite different then OrbitalChiller's. The fella that I bought my K5 from was very positive about the merits of the body. He was shooting a Nikon but told me he was seriously considering switching to a K5. At under 30 years old knew enough about legacy Pentax lens, that I was convinced his statement was genuine. Sometimes one gets lucky.

QuoteOriginally posted by OrbitalChiller Quote
He was talking about 100% crops displaying in Photoshop (i emphase that words since it might have some reasons)
Whatever his opinion the K5 is the top APSC rated body at dxomark and in fact is surpassed by only 2 full frame Nikon bodies, last I looked.

Last edited by riff; 05-02-2012 at 06:21 PM.
05-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have met salesmen who've been selling Pentax for 30 years, who know the Canadian sales reps and were great sources of information re the Pentax mind set, so, yes you can get lucky... but it's rare. I usually shop at Henry's, but I don't know anyone there who sells Pentax.. even when I go to the stores I get little from them. Of course, they almost never have what I want in stock, it's hard to build a discussion around "no we don't have what you want to see and we won't get it on so you can have a look at it unless you pay for it up front." I took time out of a busy day to get that message. Apple really took off when they came up with the Apple store. We need a Pentax store, or maybe a Ricoh store, there's Sony Stores, really, I'm on to something here. Everyone wants Pentax to compete with Canon and Nikon, they need to take it out of the hands of the fanboys who man the counters in most camera stores.
05-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Er, insulting everyone else is not such a good start.

From this I conclude that all brands have improving sensors. Score zero for Pentax being any different.

The opposite is also true. Cameras like the Nikon D700, Olympus PEN, Hassy's etc. have all stayed superior, regardless of what Pentax has done. Rather depends on your requirements and resources doesn't it?

Which is what you then spend several paragraphs saying, neatly contradicting your previous assertion.

Poppycock. While Pentax have some superior lenses, these are all much older models. Other brands also have great lenses. Please tell me how Pentax matches the Canon tilt/shift lenses, the long glass of other makes, the fast normals and cheap 85mm you can get elsewhere?

Your next couple of paragraphs again contradict everything you have said so far about superior lenses and sensors.

They make me go "ho hum". If this is your example of a superior lens, please dig a little deeper.

Oddly, I do quite well without this mediocre lens. But thanks for dismissing my entire photographic output.

But instead we get "toy" lenses and the K01. Any wonder people are annoyed?

Or perhaps the "other system" offers more, while not being compatible with a K-mount lens? That would be the generous assumption. But instead you insult the ability of someone who changes brands! Incredible!

Yep, your argument comes down to faith. Which is not an argument, by definition.

You've missed their last two systems then. Pure gimmickry and even Pentax admits it. "Toy" lenses. Built for "designers" only.

No wonder you feel the need to write such a defensive screed. Your religion is being threatened from within.
Wow Molly !!!

That was quite a thourough analysis of one's post!

Sorry, I wasn't able to follow through.

JP
05-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Sorry, I wasn't able to follow through.
Lucky you.
05-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #27

Apple really took off when they came up with the Apple store. We need a Pentax store, or maybe a Ricoh store, there's Sony Stores, really, I'm on to something here. Everyone wants Pentax to compete with Canon and Nikon, they need to take it out of the hands of the fanboys who man the counters in most camera stores.
I,ve been in the Philippines, there in the malls, lot of brand had its own store: Toshiba store, Case Logic store, Canon store, Sony store, Nikon store, Samsung store, Apple store, Yamaha store, Samsonite store, Asus store and so on. Of course, no Pentax store...

I ve found Pentax equipment in only one general photographic shop there. I've been visiting a lot of them. I was surprised that even in Asia...
05-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OrbitalChiller Quote
He said Pentax might never reach the level of Canikon anymore since the gap is now too huge. He bet that Ricoh will let Pentax down within 5 years due to this poor rentability.
I would take that bet! (OTOH I doubt he would put the money where his mouth is)
05-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Years ago when I bought my *ist I was at henry's in Barrie, I looked through their book. They had pictures taken with all the different cameras they sold. The Pentax ones were just really bad. I went home took a couple shots and stopped in to see them later in the week. He took out the pictures I'd printed, took the ones they had on display, threw them out and put mine in in their place, right in front of me. Those pictures represented maybe an hours work, and a very little bit of PP. I could have done much better if it had meant anything to me. Another one of Pentax's deficiencies as far as I'm concerned. Canon and Nikon s both had company supplied images. The Pentax photos were taken by a store employee in his spare time.