Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

No wonder Kodak went bankrupt / Walmart phasing out film processing.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Back in the day all I shot was Panatomic X, Plus X ,Tri X, Kodachrome, Ektachrome and a little Ilford BW. We bought rolls of 100 feet bulk film and used bulk loaders to load reusable 35mm cartridges in a changing bag.

Since going to digital in the late 90's I have not looked at film at all. Curious how the state of affairs were with film photography I decided to check my local Walmart.

For film they offered some disposable preloaded film cameras and 3 small pegboard pins of Fuji color film...maybe 25 rolls or so total. No wonder Kodak went bankrupt!

I asked the film processing technician how things were going. She said within the next few months Walmart will be phasing out film developing with the large processors. She said the only service they will offer is the the little self service print machines.

Film...that stuff may be like gold someday...only in museums!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/166-sheets-expired-Kodak-4x5-film-Panatomic-X-6140-a...item19cd49d294

02-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
kodak went bankrupt because they were too focussed on milking the cash cow of film. They had digital sooner than anyone else, but did not capitalize on it. Management was short sighted. Then they moved to digital late and had "me too" products. Film will continue to trail off except for some very unique purposes. Kodak will come out of chapter 11 and hopefully shed some of the weight silver has had them carry.

simply put, short sighted uninspiring management pulled them down!
02-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Considering that Wal-Mart in the USA used Fuji paper, chemistry and machinery, I suspect some different reason for Kodak's demise.
05-13-2012, 01:49 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Inactive Account

Now, if we could just get Wal-Mart to phase out Wal-Mart all would be good with the world.

05-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I think there is more gold in the banks than there are in museums. There are many good things worth buying that you cannot get in a big box store and film has become one of them. Not a good thing but the new reality. Both Kodak and Ilford had commented that film sells had small increases in the last couple of years so still not dead yet, and does not even spell funny either. Just ordered a small amount of film for use in New Orleans and half Kodak and half Ilford. Each roll of film was greater than my usual annual spending at WalMart
05-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Even in the hay-day of film I never bought my film at a department store and I don't today. And I still obtain it just the same as 20 years ago except now some choices are gone but some are new.

Last edited by tuco; 05-18-2012 at 10:35 AM.
05-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I do get some color negs processed at my local Walgreens. If they stopped, it would hurt a little. One hour service for virtually no money probably isn't a recipe for continuing, though.

05-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Walmart has always gone with Fuji, Target is the main chain near me that uses the Kodak machines and sells their film. They are dropping in store processing of film later this year (this time for sure I'm told) and may not even offer it as central location several day processing time service like walmart does, no official word yet. Walgreens is rather overpriced compared to the others where film processing is concerned, but I was told they plan to stick with it and be the "last man standing" so to speak and make it profitable by being the only option in most places. I will see if the walgreens opening near me soon has film equipment like the rest. They are also the only local place to buy that C-41 B&W film that kodak makes (BW400CN).

All the money is in printing, they make a mint off of people with digital cameras just by having the little photo kiosks and printers there. Most all the stores still do film scanning to digital and will continue to do so.
05-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter

The Wal-Marts around here haven't done film in 3 years. Target quit about 1.5 years ago.
05-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

does anyone want to start a mail order film processing business? It's how kodak started out! It's like we're going backward!
05-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
does anyone want to start a mail order film processing business? It's how kodak started out! It's like we're going backward!
Isn't that called Dwayne's or Bluemoon Camera & Machine?
05-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, Walgreens just dropped selling the BW400CN film, I got the last 3 roll pack from the 2 stores close to me and its fairly old it looks like as the others I got before were. I changed my mind and have a feeling they are slowly edging away from from film in general now. I would guess film and developing supplies will always be available online since with that method the profitability is still huge since a very small number of companies can supply a large number of customers. I haven't followed if Kodak is independent or already owned by someone else but I see them becoming a small portion of another company eventually and even then only because the brand is so well known. Sorta like Hoya with Pentax actually.

I myself will be going straight digital for color and getting a black and white darkroom used off craigslist for home soon, color work at home is just too damn fiddly for me.
06-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Local developing options fading fast...

Since I restarted this hobby last summer, I've been used my local WalMart for one-hour developing with generally good results. Recently they had problems with their equipment which caused extended downtime waiting for parts. So I sought out the local Target, since they had one-hour service as well. Upon entering the Target store, I was greeted with a sign stating their photo center was closed for remodelling, and when re-opened, they would not process film. There went the backup plan.

Today I called WalMart to get a status on their equipment and was told management decided to remove it rather than repair it - no more one-hour film service their either. Apparently, the plan was to phase it out at the end of the year anyway, and the equipment failure provided a perfect reason to phase out earlier. (Even though they had 70 rolls of customer film on hand waiting to be developed.)

Now I've got two rolls to develop, and I need to decide: drive 28 miles to the closest Ritz or send it off. And if I deceide to send it, where do I send it? Maybe it's time to learn C41 developing, but I really wasn't ready to go there just yet.

(somewhat frustrated)
Fred
06-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quality processing is as close as your nearest mailbox!

FWIW using mail-order was once the only way to obtain discounted color processing.
Today many mail-order labs offer good quality and fast turnaround at low cost.
Some labs offer mailers. Using these you won't even have to go to the post office.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 06-22-2012 at 04:20 PM.
06-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

@Chris, I appreciate your advice regarding mail-order.

I already contacted Dwayne's. Having read positive comments for them here on PF, they seemed like a good starting point.

They told me to expect turnaround time of about a week. And if I provide an address on the form, they will send an email to notify me that the film is being returned. To top it off, their develop and print prices are half of the WalMart fee. Who'da thought!?! In the end, maybe the demise of local developing options will have a positive outcome for me.