Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Maybe you should tell him with equal seriousness that you've changed your mind & will do it, but you'll require all of them to sign model releases because you now have a stock agency interested in the photos, and do they mind if they are used in billboard advertising?

02-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Maybe you should tell him with equal seriousness that you've changed your mind & will do it, but you'll require all of them to sign model releases because you now have a stock agency interested in the photos, and do they mind if they are used in billboard advertising?
That's a good answer.
02-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't think people seeing a good picture and saying you must have a great camera is that far off, something to consider is with all the auto functions on a "great camera" nowadays, most people CAN get really good regular shots with the camera doing most of the work. Its an understanding of composition and complex lighting and the ability to use the almighty M setting for artistic effect without making things worse that really make a photographer.
Most of those people have never taken anything they have off of auto or would even understand why you would want to, so to them all cameras are auto and if its a good pic it must be the camera, you just decided where to point it.
02-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Yeah but in my book there is a huge difference between a point and shoot and a DSLR. With a point and shoot maybe the camera does do most of it, but with a DSLR I don't think it should. I mean what is the point of even owning a DSLR if you're never going to learn to properly use it? I'm not saying the auto settings don't come in handy once in a while, of course they do, but if that's all your DSLR is ever going to be set on? I think that's rather a waste of some good equipment. There's taking a photograph and making a photograph and they're not the same thing.

02-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Yeah but in my book there is a huge difference between a point and shoot and a DSLR. With a point and shoot maybe the camera does do most of it, but with a DSLR I don't think it should. I mean what is the point of even owning a DSLR if you're never going to learn to properly use it? I'm not saying the auto settings don't come in handy once in a while, of course they do, but if that's all your DSLR is ever going to be set on? I think that's rather a waste of some good equipment. There's taking a photograph and making a photograph and they're not the same thing.
Have you not heard of male jewelry lol
02-12-2012, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

I propose that the standard response to comments like "You must have a great camera"

should be:

"Yes, it's a Pentax"
02-12-2012, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by demp10 Quote
I propose that the standard response to comments like "You must have a great camera" should be: "Yes, it's a Pentax"
That is officially the default setting now.

As far as DSLR's being used as a point and shoot I totally agree that's a bunch of crap, but nowadays you don't even have to focus, how many people even on this forum gripe about how the camera doesn't auto focus well or is always adjusting the lighting wrong, if they were actually composing pictures on M neither of those would even be noticed. Auto seems to be what sells cameras nowadays.

02-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Shtuff People Say to Photographers - YouTube

I don't normally watch the "sh*t people say" videos ever since the original, but this one reached out to me.

Followed shortly by irrational hatred for the actor in the video.
Thanks for posting this video. Cool and funny!
02-23-2012, 03:06 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
In fact now that I know what they've likely been throwing orgies in that pool ......
I hope it is just orgies thrown in the pool and nothing offensive.
02-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
That is officially the default setting now.

As far as DSLR's being used as a point and shoot I totally agree that's a bunch of crap, but nowadays you don't even have to focus, how many people even on this forum gripe about how the camera doesn't auto focus well or is always adjusting the lighting wrong, if they were actually composing pictures on M neither of those would even be noticed. Auto seems to be what sells cameras nowadays.
Truer words have never been spoken! I bought my DSLR for the sole fact that it put ME in control of what I wanted to do with the picture and composition. I didn't want to rely on the point & shoot saying "this is where we're gonna focus, here's the exposure I'm gonna give you. Deal with it!" It pains me when I learn that someone has a ~$800+ DSLR camera body and when I ask them about if they ever shoot on M (Or Av/Tv) and they respond with "What is that? Huh? Why would I ever want to do more work?" Talk about buying an expensive point and shoot camera then!

Back on topic: That video was hilarious! I forwarded it to the photographer that did a family member's wedding.
02-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
They can throw all the orgies they want, in their own home, and I wouldn't blink. But in the pool? That's just gross. Think about it. FYI, Jacuzzis and pools can be a hotbed of germs, chlorine notwithstanding. That's why you're not supposed to go to the bathroom in the pool or let little kids in diapers swim in a non-kiddie pool. I don't much care if they have orgies actually but I don't think I'd want to be an unwitting participant. I don't have anything against bathhouses or spas either but you sure won't catch me using one. I admit it I'm a pretty bad germaphobe. Not to the point of wearing a mask but I don't go to use the treadmill or the weight machines here unless I have a bottle of cleaner and that with me. A friend of mine got MRSA just going to the gym a few years back. It was ugly...
02-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
This is where I came close to throwing up and laughing at the same time lol