Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kodak to stop production of digital cameras

Kodak to stop production of digital cameras, frames | Democrat and Chronicle | democratandchronicle.com

No more pocket video cameras or digital picture frames either. They are selling the brand name to an importer.

But they are still selling consumer film and photographic paper....head in the sand.

02-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The patent buyers are waiting for a bankruptcy court firesale before they buy patents. Why pay $X now when they can pay half of $X during a bankruptcy liquidation?

This will probably happen by April, unless something we don't know about yet happens.

Kodak will sell their film business to Fuji, Ilford, or some other existing film manufacturer. Maybe Impossible will buy it and begin to charge $15 for a roll of Ektar 100, or $25 for a roll of Portra. The patents, machinery, etc. will be sold off to raise cash to pay off employees' retirement and healthcare obligations, and stockholders.

This is how I see it going down, but I hope I'm wrong.
02-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Kodak to stop production of digital cameras, frames | Democrat and Chronicle | democratandchronicle.com

No more pocket video cameras or digital picture frames either. They are selling the brand name to an importer.

But they are still selling consumer film and photographic paper....head in the sand.
their digital cameras are a lost cause anyway and the category is being rapidly replaced by smartphones (just look at apples iPhone sales last quarter - profits were so high they skewed nasdaq numbers by almost 2%).
Their film division OTOH is still profitable and actually grew last year - rationalized it will be a Gem if it gets sold
and they are repositioning themselves as a printer manufacturer (which is the dumbest of all since so few people actually print photo's)
02-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know they're just a giant faceless corporation, but it's a little sad in a way. The name "Kodak" was synonymous with photography for over 120 years. I guess it's nothing but a stamped-on name, but still...

02-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
The patent buyers are waiting for a bankruptcy court firesale before they buy patents. Why pay $X now when they can pay half of $X during a bankruptcy liquidation?

This will probably happen by April, unless something we don't know about yet happens.

Kodak will sell their film business to Fuji, Ilford, or some other existing film manufacturer. Maybe Impossible will buy it and begin to charge $15 for a roll of Ektar 100, or $25 for a roll of Portra. The patents, machinery, etc. will be sold off to raise cash to pay off employees' retirement and healthcare obligations, and stockholders.

This is how I see it going down, but I hope I'm wrong.

Do you see Kodak US shutting down? Or if not shutting down, have little or no connection to the Kodak we all knew and loved?