Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #16

Original Poster
You know, I really don't care that Ned Bunnell uses/used a Leica D-Lux 4. As far as I'm concerned, it's a product that Pentax did not compete with in any meaningful way.

I do care that Pentax USA can't be bothered to update their website and/or is embarrassed by the K-01. That it can't get it's twitter feed image to show current product. That it doesn't seem to care what all this does to their corporate image. A few years ago they retreated from the brick and mortar stores, with the understanding that they would have to rely on web-based sales to sustain them.

Notice that last sentence? If you're relying on web-based sales, you need to bring your A-game to the Internet. You can't stop just because you're between interns.

02-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Horrible Quote
Notice that last sentence? If you're relying on web-based sales, you need to bring your A-game to the Internet. You can't stop just because you're between interns.
You assume P-USA has an "A" game to bring. Anywhere.
02-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well I know Ned just loves cameras and photography and I know that wasn't nice - but I still haven't gotten over those blog posts and it was what, 2 years ago? I can't even find them now.

If you're going to be CEO and you have a blog, you become a public figure and there are certain liberties you sacrifice. Blogging about your competitor's product, no matter how romantic the product, is one of them.
Actually I find that kind of reaction typical of a jealous 5 years old boy. But what do I know?
02-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You assume P-USA has an "A" game to bring. Anywhere.
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Actually I find that kind of reaction typical of a jealous 5 years old boy. But what do I know?
It has nothing to do with jealosy and you know it. I wouldn't be seen using one of those overpriced hipster toys to save my life.

It has everything to do with loyalty to your employer. I suppose values such as loyalty are too middle class for artistes and sophisticates.

A CEO simply cannot be seen to extoll the virtues of his competitor's product (especially if there isn't a direct brand competitor in your line - that says Pentax isn't the best) in a public forum. To me that is grounds for immediate dismissal - no apologies, no negotiations, its unforgivable. You violated the contract. Pack your stuff.

02-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Well, if their homepage doesn't have all the cameras, at least now ours does: Pentax Forums - The Largest Pentax Camera Forum and Pentax Review Site - Front Page News

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-23-2012, 05:58 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well, if their homepage doesn't have all the cameras, at least now ours does: Pentax Forums - The Largest Pentax Camera Forum and Pentax Review Site - Front Page News
Maybe Pentaxforums should take over the PentaxImaging site & start managing their social media.
02-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Horrible Quote
Maybe Pentaxforums should take over the PentaxImaging site & start managing their social media
That's not a bad idea.
Adam, in all seriousness, maybe you should approach them with that.

02-23-2012, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That's not a bad idea.
It's not a bad idea, it's a Horrible idea! Sorry can't help it!
02-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Odd thing is, why isn't there more consistency between the various regional websites; in this day and age of the Internetz, we are way past the "we have to have our own region-specific website that looks nothing like yours" mentality...
02-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I was one of the people who posted a long rant about John Carlson's last interview, and how much of a terrible job he had done.

The fact that the K-01 is still not on the front page of the Pentax USA site is pretty ridiculous. It's nice that they provided a link to Facebook, which features a link to Adam's article about "potential" K-01 lenses. You only have to go to 2 other sites to learn about their new camera!

Actually, none of the links on their front page are working at the moment, other than the scroll bar. I've tried clicking on the "products" link, and other links, and they have all taken me to some kind of "Smug Mug" error page.

At this point, I honestly wonder what Pentax USA actually does. It seems like they need some kind of intervention to help them realize how they appear to others. They announcement of the K-01 did generate a ton of interest, and they haven't capitalized on it.
02-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #26
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
It's not a bad idea, it's a Horrible idea! Sorry can't help it!
Well, I was going to try and talk Adam into making you head of PR; but NOT NOW!

Last edited by Parallax; 02-23-2012 at 01:12 PM.
02-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I bet 99.99999% of Pentax K-mount lens users already know about the K-01 and that is the market Pentax is looking to sell the K-01 to. I am sure Pentax USA will have the K-01 on the top page when it's available in the USA on March 29, 2012.
Blimey... I hope not.... if thats the case they might sell a couple of hundred if they are lucky lol.
If they have K mount lenses it stands to reason they have an SLR.
You might get a few, for reasons known to them that want or need a compact camera thats not even compact but there wont be many
photographers intrested in a compact. Pentax are selling it in its own right, and the kind of people that buy it will prob buy a cheap second
lens at some point. Its little more than a fashion accesory thats a bit chic.
02-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Odd thing is, why isn't there more consistency between the various regional websites; in this day and age of the Internetz, we are way past the "we have to have our own region-specific website that looks nothing like yours" mentality...
I've dealt with marketing clients at global corporations and almost to a person they have hated having to work within a unified global platform because it often ties them into a slow-moving, inflexible system that doesn't meet their ever-changing and regionally-varied marketing needs. Just look at Sony.com, Samsung.com, Panasonic.com, and you'll see little more than brochure-ware with byzantine navigation and no real personality. It's like marketing circa 1995.
02-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I've dealt with marketing clients at global corporations and almost to a person they have hated having to work within a unified global platform because it often ties them into a slow-moving, inflexible system that doesn't meet their ever-changing and regionally-varied marketing needs. Just look at Sony.com, Samsung.com, Panasonic.com, and you'll see little more than brochure-ware with byzantine navigation and no real personality. It's like marketing circa 1995.
Well in this case its P-USA that is slow-moving and hide bound.
02-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #30
Pentaxian

"Pentax USA Business Case Study" ... What not to do?

Or maybe he's busy shooting with his Leica.
Bonjour,

The first time that I came across this double brand affiliation, I about fell out of my chair ...

OK, maybe I'm an overeducated foreign residing American snob, but let me try this one out on you.

I teach "management" classes (among other subjects) in higher education, and let's say that if I were to explain this "special circumstance" concerning a CEO that promotes two differing brands such as described above ... what do you guess my students would say or think about it?

I tell you what ... I think that I'm going to slip in a "module" about this to get their reactions. Stay tuned, maybe some interesting results to report by the end of next Fall semester.

Bonne soirée - J Frog