Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #31

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I was one of the people who posted a long rant about John Carlson's last interview, and how much of a terrible job he had done.

The fact that the K-01 is still not on the front page of the Pentax USA site is pretty ridiculous. It's nice that they provided a link to Facebook, which features a link to Adam's article about "potential" K-01 lenses. You only have to go to 2 other sites to learn about their new camera!

Actually, none of the links on their front page are working at the moment, other than the scroll bar. I've tried clicking on the "products" link, and other links, and they have all taken me to some kind of "Smug Mug" error page.

At this point, I honestly wonder what Pentax USA actually does. It seems like they need some kind of intervention to help them realize how they appear to others. They announcement of the K-01 did generate a ton of interest, and they haven't capitalized on it.
The fact that they have the WG-2 up there leads me to the conclusion that they are willfully trying to bury/hide the K-01. They don't WANT to promote it. It's as simple as that.

02-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #32
Pentaxian

I'll add my own issues about Pentax USA. I contacted them about a technical issue. Their reply: they didn't know how to help and told me to contact Japan on my own. Fortunately, I found my answer here at PF.

PF, B&H, and Adorama each do more to promote and support Pentax products than Pentax USA does. Hopefully Ricoh HQ will do something about that.
02-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think they're trying to put the pieces together, they're just looking to add those missing pieces. it's okay for us to "hum and ha" on the forums and actually NOT have any idea on what's going on thru their re-organization etc. I say give them some time to start filling in the pieces...anyone here ever been in this situation? No? Well

http://c758710.r10.cf2.rackcdn.com/files/careers/1327944262_NetworkAdministrationPosition.pdf

http://c758710.r10.cf2.rackcdn.com/files/careers/PRandTradeShows.pdf
02-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The position brief fits with Ricoh's plan for Pentax. I've been critical of P-USA. I should wait and see.

Be of good cheer, Pentaxians. Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy.

02-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #35
Veteran Member

It's cool that they're adding the PR and Trade show person. It's surprising that they don't want someone with more experience.
02-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #36
Veteran Member

As posted it requires a lot of travelling year round, someone who is unattached and presumambly younger with enough experience to jump in with little supervision is best suited for the job...Ned and then John were carrying i suspect the bulk of that and now it's time for someone else to come in and for Ned and John to better manage from a more stable situation....i'm sure it must have been quite a task for Ned to be running around NA and to Japan and the big global trade shows then for John to pick up probably a fraction of what he was doing. It may seem glamourous but living out of a suitcase takes it toll.
Again this is pure specualtion on my part as i left the "rat race" a very long time ago.
02-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #37

Original Poster
The IT posting is ... schizophrenic?

Network administration, desktop support, and ERP? That's like, 3 FT jobs right there ...

Oh, and college degree a "large plus"? The whole thing reads like a job posting from 1999.

02-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Horrible Quote
The IT posting is ... schizophrenic?

Network administration, desktop support, and ERP? That's like, 3 FT jobs right there ...

Oh, and college degree a "large plus"? The whole thing reads like a job posting from 1999.
To me it says "low salary position, lots of work outside of regular office hours, in a small office without a lot of IT infrastructure."

At my old office, we had 300 people, 850 desktop computers (software company), a roomful of servers, and all in a mixed MacOS, Windows & Linux environment. We had four competent IT staff that handled it all, and none had college degrees related to computers, but they all had experience and decent salaries!

Sure, that's an example where more than half the employees were software developers, but the programmers were even more averse to administrating their boxes than the marketing staff! (Better things to do, efficiency and division of labor, etc. - typical programmer outlook! )

Personally, I think PentaxUSA is outsourcing a huge amount of their online PR right now, and your original point should be well taken - they should look at other suppliers.
02-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I bet 99.99999% of Pentax K-mount lens users already know about the K-01 and that is the market Pentax is looking to sell the K-01 to. I am sure Pentax USA will have the K-01 on the top page when it's available in the USA on March 29, 2012.
Wow, you must have worked for Kodak because that's precisely the attitude that put them into receivership. If you ONLY sell to your established customers (and I am NOT saying Pentax USA even does a passing job on that score) you WILL fail - period.

Does Nikon not have the new D4 up because its not yet shipping? Ah', NO, because they're not idiots. Just Google "newest nikon camera" and you get thousands (yes thousands) of hits for the D4 and the NikonUSA site is like, oh I don't know, the FIRST on the list with a direct link to the D4 & the D800! Do the same with "Pentax New Camera" and you get the 8th link referencing the K-01 and its here: Pentax News and Rumors - PentaxForums.com the first few are Pentax USA but they're for the WG-02 or the generic front page to the Pentax USA site that doesn't even reference the K-01.

It would be funny if it weren't just so basic and serious.
02-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
Perhaps Ned is having a problem with his dial up modem. For all we know, he has no idea that Pentax has released a lens roadmap or a new camera.
Given that he apparently lives in a completely different state from the HQ and commutes there - you just may be right.
02-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had high hopes for Ned when he joined Pentax. I see no changes from before - other than Pentax has dropped out of nearly all retail stores. You can't find one to hold anywhere and they have moved to what appears to be a more expensive office building in downtown Denver from the suburbs of Golden.

I was pretty astonished to read Adam's reply to my post about getting an interview with Ned - the reply was (to paraphrase) - that they had already done a number of interviews and that was plenty.... Worried about over exposure?

Its time for a house cleaning - just fire everyone! Can a new crew do any worse? Consolidate and let Pentax Canada run the US marketing operation. Heck - let the Singapore office run the US operation - just look at the worldwide buzz they created with one K-01 camera body and the local Pentax club. The idea of PF taking over is a pretty reasonable suggestion - given that this is where all the heavy lifting is being done.

The University of Colorado at Denver has a Marketing degree (Bachelors and Masters) - how about commissioning a case study of your product, the market and an optimum approach.How about big box stores - not walmart or kmart or sears (they are dead, dying or absolutely hated and despised) - but something like Costco (actually they are pretty upscale) - they even run their own annual photography contest!

How about improving warranty service - stockpile parts so that the parts wait is decreased.

There are positive actions that can be taken.....

Last edited by interested_observer; 02-25-2012 at 05:16 PM.
02-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well, if their homepage doesn't have all the cameras, at least now ours does: Pentax Forums - The Largest Pentax Camera Forum and Pentax Review Site - Front Page News
Adam,

I am dead serious when I say that this forum is the ONLY effective marketing for Pentax in the US that I am aware of at all. Questions posed to Pentax USA seem to be too challenging but the same question posed here gets thesis level responses from several people often within minutes of the query. News about Pentax - look here first (and apparently for the K-01 - only here).

You're doing all the work for Pentax USA in marketing - all of it - with the help of the contributors here.

As for those who think this is some kind of 5 year old rant - I resent people getting paid to do a job and not actually doing it, regardless of my involvement or ownership. I happen to be a stakeholder in Pentax and would like to see it thrive so that there are more great toys for me to play with.
02-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #43
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I am dead serious when I say that this forum is the ONLY effective marketing for Pentax in the US that I am aware of at all. Questions posed to Pentax USA seem to be too challenging but the same question posed here gets thesis level responses from several people often within minutes of the query. News about Pentax - look here first (and apparently for the K-01 - only here).
Haha yeah that is pretty much true...even Pentax Japan has realized this and are treating us quite nicely!

The only thing Pentax has on us right now is more Facebook likes- we're at 10k and they have 45. I hope to change that, though

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax USA is a hapless marketing business. They have been for a long time.
03-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #45
Pentaxian

They appear to have updated their web pages with the new announced models but with little fanfare. I have purchased Canon printers and after registering, I continue to get regular emails from Canon announcing new products, specials, etc on a regular basis. After numerous Pentax purchases of cameras and lenses, never a word. Usually when you purchase a product or register one, you get at the very least an acknowledgement and a thank you. Not with Pentax. I hope all this changes soon. Canon stays in touch with their customers. Any questions as to why they are number one in sales? Come on Pentax, at least show some effort!