Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2012, 09:00 AM - 6 Likes   #1

An open letter to Ned Bunnell and Pentax USA

Dear Ned,

You may have noticed that Pentax accidently released a lot of news in the last 60 days. New products, new lens announcements, new corporate structure.

You'd never notice it by looking at www.pentaximaging.com

Glad you're still excited about the merger last October, and the GPS for the K5. But some other things have happened since then.

Yes, I know if I click down several links I can (eventually) find out about the new K-01. But guess what? For a huge number of web surfing folk, if it's not on your main page, it doesn't exist. Seriously, no one wants to dig through layers of your website to "discover" your new products. You need to push them, and promote them. And the way you do that is through your main page.

Look at Nikonusa.com. In many ways, Nikon and Pentax are similar, in that they are primarily camera companies. And the websites are a similar template.

But on Nikon's page: the D800, the D4! Some P&S cameras that I don't care about but which they are actively promoting!

On your page: the GPS from last year, the Pentax Q from last year, the Pentax merger from last year ... and the WG-2. Ok, I don't get that last part. Why promote 3 old products and one new one? I'm confused. Are you embarrased by the K-01? Wishing it would go away? Don't think it will sell? That last one might be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Seriously, Pentax America, what's the deal?!

And don't you dare tell me it's because of Pentax's small market presence in this country. That means that you need to promote your electronic (web, twitter, etc.) presence MORE, not less. But that of course, means paying attention. And, you know, marketing.

02-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Banned

I bet 99.99999% of Pentax K-mount lens users already know about the K-01 and that is the market Pentax is looking to sell the K-01 to. I am sure Pentax USA will have the K-01 on the top page when it's available in the USA on March 29, 2012.
02-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent point! Someone over there has to ride their new ad agency harder to get this stuff up. While they're at it, I'd also rework the page with lots of keyword-rich text to drive up traffic. With the launch of the K-01, I'd be monitoring inbound traffic on a daily basis and working relationships to get more traffic. And I'd have a dedicated K-01 micro-site with great product shots, videos, sample photos, links to my best retailers, etc... with Share and Link buttons everywhere.

This is the basic blocking and tackling of online marketing.
02-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I bet 99.99999% of Pentax K-mount lens users already know about the K-01 and that is the market Pentax is looking to sell the K-01 to. I am sure Pentax USA will have the K-01 on the top page when it's available in the USA on March 29, 2012.
That may be true, but the job of marketing is to help create awareness, interest, and product demand. Positive buzz as they say. They should have built upon the wave of interest that came with the announcement and worked to shape public perception of the product instead of just letting it out there and hoping. Opportunity lost.

02-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now now, be nice. I'm not saying I don't agree with your points, but you may find that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
02-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A few weeks ago I said that John Carlson, Senior Manager Sales & Marketing, is not doing his job well. This proves it once again... I'm sorry and I'm really a nice guy, but is it really that hard to show some news...?
02-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
So, do you think Nikon is making a mistake talking about their new D4 and D800 cameras on their FP? If so, I respectfully disagree.

02-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Maybe they haven't hired back enough people after they laid them off a while back (before Ricoh) -- a met a local guy (Pentax USA HQ is here in Denver) who had lost his job during the Hoya era...
02-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Now now, be nice. I'm not saying I don't agree with your points, but you may find that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
Sorry.

Dear Ned Bunnell:

Great job, there, tiger! You're really making waves. Everyone on Pentaxforum's talking about the bang-up job you and John Carlson are doing!!

Just a teensy-tiny suggestion for a little improvement that you might find worthwhile ...

Is that better?
02-22-2012, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Perhaps Ned is having a problem with his dial up modem. For all we know, he has no idea that Pentax has released a lens roadmap or a new camera.
02-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
Perhaps Ned is having a problem with his dial up modem. For all we know, he has no idea that Pentax has released a lens roadmap or a new camera.
It might also explain why the Pentax USA news feed, twitter feed, and facebook feed are word-for-word identical.

Which of course, means that the "here's a fun cartoon from Gizmodo" post on twitter is showing at the main page of Pentaximaging.com.

But that's ok, because the twitter feed is showing a Pentax WG-1 graphic, but the main PI page shows the WG-2. Way to be inconsistantly consistant, guys.

Seriously, anyone driving this train?
02-22-2012, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

February 5th I started this thread comparing the various Pentax Regional marketing websites. At the time the K-01 had not yet been released in Japan.

At the time all three European websites and Canada had a prominent image of the K-01 in the banner head. China had a link to the featured content prominently displayed, in English, on the front page (which I cannot find now).

Russia and Australia have websites apparently maintained by their distributors there.

USA had a scrolling banner head containing 4 features: The merger; WG-2 (before the official release); K-5 and Q. The banner is unchanged; the K-01 is still not included in the scrolling banner.

In small type immediately below the banner there is a scrolling announcements link. The K-01 was announced in the scroll but was not featured. The announcement is gone now (but PentaxForums.com is linked and Adam is featured as the author of a lens guide targeted at "potential K-01" . . .) [emphasis mine]

There is no discussion of the new Lens Roadmap nor any discussion of CP+. I believe Pentax had its largest booth there in many years. Where's the story?

Once again, as was requested when the K-7 was released, we are asked to "be nice, now." John doesn't take kindly to antagonism; John can't spend a lot of time here; John will respond to questions as, if and when he can. I asked JCPentax a question the last time he professed to take questions here. It was never answered.

I have repsented facts and links in this reply and in my original thread. You may draw your own conclusions.
02-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
Or maybe he's busy shooting with his Leica.
02-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Or maybe he's busy shooting with his Leica.
Ouch

02-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Ouch

Well I know Ned just loves cameras and photography and I know that wasn't nice - but I still haven't gotten over those blog posts and it was what, 2 years ago? I can't even find them now.

If you're going to be CEO and you have a blog, you become a public figure and there are certain liberties you sacrifice. Blogging about your competitor's product, no matter how romantic the product, is one of them.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-22-2012 at 01:54 PM.