Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2012, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

This has to rank as one of the hardest jobs in photography!

I just watched Nat Geos White House 'Through the lens' Obama Administration doco and it blew me away!
His photographer Pete Souza carries a minimal of gear two bodies short and long zoom lenses flashes, maybe a backup short lens and I imagine loads of batteries and cards.
Has to hit ALL his shots, and NONE of them are deleted, they have to be unaltered by law. He has the same crazy schedule as Obama but doesn't travel in the same car so has to run in after him to get official greeting photos etc. Typical day is 13 hours but has a staff of 3 photographers and someone who manages the images. Thy output 20,000 - 80,000 shots per month.
So basically a wedding shoot every damn day! Of course a huge part of it is the relationship between him and the subjects especially the President who are just oblivious to him as they are shot all the time. I knew they had photographers but didn't realise they shot so much behind doors as well as formal engagements.

Interesting stuff.

03-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Now that is one stressful job, rather him than me.
03-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Aye I saw that documentary, interesting stuff.

My comments echo the others here, apart from there would seem to a lot of repetition in the job, one dignitary shaking hands looks much like the next dignitary shaking hands, I just wonder how you'd keep it fresh......................
03-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Aye I saw that documentary, interesting stuff.

My comments echo the others here, apart from there would seem to a lot of repetition in the job, one dignitary shaking hands looks much like the next dignitary shaking hands, I just wonder how you'd keep it fresh......................
I remember he mentions this with all of the presidents speeches so he takes alot of crowd reactions/candids as well.

03-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Here is the first thing that came to my mind: when shooting 20,000 to 80,000 frames per month, do you shoot in RAW or in JPEG? I'm assuming the latter, but the size of their archive must be enormous despite this. Sounds like it's a stressful but unique and fulfilling job. I'd do it if given the opportunity.
03-13-2012, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is a tough schedule. well maybe he will be able to take a long deserved rest in another 10 or 11 months.

regards,
03-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
That is a tough schedule. well maybe he will be able to take a long deserved rest in another 10 or 11 months.

regards,
I sure hope not . It doesn't seem like a partisan job, why wouldn't the next President keep him on if he's good.

03-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
Here is the first thing that came to my mind: when shooting 20,000 to 80,000 frames per month, do you shoot in RAW or in JPEG? I'm assuming the latter, but the size of their archive must be enormous despite this. Sounds like it's a stressful but unique and fulfilling job. I'd do it if given the opportunity.
If they must remain unaltered I wonder if that means no RAW images.
03-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's cake work compared to the full time photographers working for rolling stone magazine...