Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Soft Photos

I've been using photobucket for awhile for my photos that I post here, but I find that uploading them just really seems to soften them compared to the originals. I usually down size them to 1000 pxs across and up load them using lightroom 3. Do I just need to go to a different site from photobucket? Use a different method for downsizing?

Any input would be appreciated.

03-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
but I find that uploading them just really seems to soften them compared to the originals
Server image compression (GDLib compression more than likely) - most high volume servers do this, usually in the 8~10% range to save on bandwidth. Most of the time the average person with the average monitor can not tell - obviously you notice it as you have seen the originals...

EDIT: PF compresses when images are uploaded to user galleries:

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 87

You will see that when viewing a user gallery photo, it indicates that the image was compressed to 87% from the original, so 13% of the color and graphic structure information was truncated from the file...

Last edited by joe.penn; 03-16-2012 at 08:00 AM.