Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my place it's becoming a common item too, especially among the young college kids and yuppies who just happened to have enough cash and few responsibilities in life to care about. To say the least, at least 3 out of 5 days I walk from the office to the bus stop I encounter a woman with a Canon / Nikon entry-level DSLR hanging from her neck. The more discreet ones (which are rare) I pick from the kind of bag they carry the camera in- mostly Lowepro ones, which I reckon have either a 7D, D7000 or 5D MkII in it.

03-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know 6 female DSLR shooters (3 of them shoot with Pentax, and one is my wife)
I know 2 male DSLR shooters, both pro wedding photogs. One shoots with Canon, the other Nikon, but they're both friendly toward Pentax.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
03-22-2012, 07:26 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Over here most young people with DSLRs are female. Though I guess most pro photographers are male. Not that I know very many either way.
03-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is a photography group in my area with a reasonable gender split. Most of the people have SLRs. I think it's more likely that the men have the more extreme gear though. I have yet to see a woman with a tilt-shift lens.

03-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Somehow the info of how many women in my photoclub have dslrs got deleted before saving. Its at least 8 have dslrs and the remainder have various other kinds of cameras. Women to men is probably equal with about 30 active members. I would guess that not everyone has access to a local camera club, but if there isn't one in your area, perhaps you can start one . It takes like yourself and one other person, and presto, you have a club

Photoclubs are both a like and dislike for me. On one side of it, i like shooting alone because i'm not distracted. But socializing with other photo nuts like myself provides support and generates new ideas. I had 3 club members (2 gals and one guy) over to my house the other day showing them how i stretch my canvas prints. For an hour and a half, we talked about everything under the sun and more

Regarding genders, its ironic how one's gender has its benefits in some kinds of shooting. For example, it usually doesn't bother me to shoot late in the evenings or early mornings in isolated places - like i used to shoot in alleyways in my home town, plus did that a coupla times in Seattle. I had one female from the club tell me how she enjoyed my evening pics but didn't feel comfortable going to those places as a woman. On the other hand, American society seems to accept that women can shoot pictures of kids and other women with a lot less concern than if men are doing the photography. Not sure about other countries and cultures, just saying that photographers have different amount of access & opportunity based on gender alone. Of course there must be exceptions.

Last edited by philbaum; 03-22-2012 at 04:00 PM.
03-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

seems a little odd discussing how many female photographers there are and whether they have a nice set of ............ equipment. i am female and 1 of my female friends has done professional work for NG...she is a canon fan and pentax is mine...i originally got into pentax because of the weather resistance and it seemed only natural to stick with it and expand accordingly...i am a serious amatuer...have 2 k5s, k200, bigma, 70-200 2.8 etc and i get the most comments when i am carrying the bigma..."my what a big ....lens you have "...my partner (male) is starting to get interested in photography and he is using my k200 and my one of my prized lenses...i will soon let him play with my k5 but figure once that happens all my property will become joint...i also have a fast car and i have allowed him to back it in and out of our garage....so we do exist and we are just as serious as men with the same hobby and i suspect there are probably more than you think...you just notice the cute ones............
03-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So the only difference between women and girls is the size of their . . .

Hell, I can't make it work.

03-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All I need is a mirror.
03-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
How many women with DSLR's do you usually see?
There are a quite a few women here doing live music photography, so the correct answer is every day, do I win a prize.
03-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Only one, but I see her a lot...

03-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Only one, but I see her a lot...
Mine shoots an A40. But she shoots it oh-so-well
03-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #27

admittedly i'm a little baffled by this thread.... it seems a bit odd? i would say that out of the pro photogs i run into in online communities and in meetups the majority are women ha ha ha. perhaps you live in a small community? and the nonsensical idea that the ones people see with a DSLR usually have it because of influence from a man in their life, well it's just that. nonsense. though there are women who fit into that stereotype, it's most definitely not the majority. you should definitely try expanding your photo circles and i'm sure you will see that it's quite common to see a female pro toting pro gear for the simple fact she is an artist following a passion.

mahalo
03-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #28
Inactive Account

I actually know slightly more women DSLR shooters personally although there is a larger representation of men online- maybe they are too busy actually shooting!

I notice alot of female tourists with DSLRs in Sydney aswell.
03-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Regarding genders, its ironic how one's gender has its benefits in some kinds of shooting. For example, it usually doesn't bother me to shoot late in the evenings or early mornings in isolated places - like i used to shoot in alleyways in my home town, plus did that a coupla times in Seattle. I had one female from the club tell me how she enjoyed my evening pics but didn't feel comfortable going to those places as a woman. On the other hand, American society seems to accept that women can shoot pictures of kids and other women with a lot less concern than if men are doing the photography. Not sure about other countries and cultures, just saying that photographers have different amount of access & opportunity based on gender alone. Of course there must be exceptions.
Good points there Phil
03-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by anyroad Quote
admittedly i'm a little baffled by this thread.... it seems a bit odd? i would say that out of the pro photogs i run into in online communities and in meetups the majority are women ha ha ha. perhaps you live in a small community? and the nonsensical idea that the ones people see with a DSLR usually have it because of influence from a man in their life, well it's just that. nonsense. though there are women who fit into that stereotype, it's most definitely not the majority. you should definitely try expanding your photo circles and i'm sure you will see that it's quite common to see a female pro toting pro gear for the simple fact she is an artist following a passion. mahalo
That's what I want to hear actually, most specifically "it's quite common to see a female pro toting pro gear for the simple fact she is an artist following a passion". (Warning a whole bucket of personal opinion inbound) Whether male or female I don't automatically consider anyone with a nice camera a photographer. Also I'm not really interested in the tourist photographer who takes pics to record a vacation they would have taken anyway, or the family photographer just recording family events or sports games, or even the technical photographer who shoots pics of things as a job be it news or weddings or whatever. What I want to know about is the sort of person that takes their only free day in the week and spends it with their camera being creative, or plans a trip purely around what pictures they want to take of things they don't live near. Someone who thinks "A" is the lazy mode on the camera for when you just want to snap a few pics without working too hard, and wouldn't choose a DSLR with only one dial for the frustrating inconvenience it presents to customizing exposure. Someone who would be willing to hike a mile up a steep hillside or lay in the dirt just to get the right shot.
If you say there are women who are like this with no direct male influence (which tends to be the case around here at least though you say its nonsensical), and in fact they are common, then I am cheered up greatly and simply need to look harder to meet them since I am obviously in the wrong spot. Though I live on the edge of a major metropolitan area its a place that nobody willingly goes to take pictures (no grand canyons here), and I guess I just don't see much of the locals out and about in the backwater hiding spots I like. I have tended to avoid most of the photo clubs because from what I have experienced they have a bad habit of becoming a place for the sort of person who posts "<insert name> studios" in 800 point font across the bottom of all their pics and just wants everyone to appreciate how great they are. Perhaps I will try again with different more just for fun groups.
I should mention this thread started more as me wondering why the demographics I personally saw always seemed somewhat lopsided and wanting to know what things were like elsewhere, not simply looking for women, it did go a tad off topic in that direction though, as I would consider that sort of woman the ideal woman regardless of what she looked like. I was afraid I would get some people rather upset though, since it is a rather touchy topic for many.