Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #31

def not upset, just shocked lol.... http://www.facebook.com/groups/showiteers/ . i too am not a fan of many clubs i've seen. so pretentious and competitive. but this was a unique community growing on and off line. just wanted to share

03-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Someone who would be willing to hike a mile up a steep hillside or lay in the dirt just to get the right shot.
If you say there are women who are like this with no direct male influence (which tends to be the case around here at least though you say its nonsensical), and in fact they are common, then I am cheered up greatly and simply need to look harder to meet them since I am obviously in the wrong spot. Though I live on the edge of a major metropolitan area its a place that nobody willingly goes to take pictures (no grand canyons here), and I guess I just don't see much of the locals out and about in the backwater hiding spots I like
Here is where you may have found your answer -- are there plenty of women in these backwater hiding spots doing things other than photography? Probably not. You're really seeing a difference that has nothing to do with photography per se.
03-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I really shouldn't say backwater in a literal sense though it occasionally gets that way for nature stuff like state parks (I have pics of girls at a waterfall all with camera phones if you want), I frequent many local places along the river that are quite trendy where most of the cars cost more than my yearly salary. Many many women around. Its more that the area in general is somewhat less "progressive" than in the really major cities nearby, the people in general tend to be either rich enough to buy a DSLR to use as a point and shoot, or poor enough where it baffles them that anyone would ever want to spend over $1000 on a camera that doesn't even have a lens yet. Not the greatest place to look for real creative photographers I'll admit, but what I had seen was rather lopsided. Lots of art places in the trendy areas, but mostly just people purchasing to show off their wallet, not a seriously creative area, there is one coffee shop and about 10 bars in the most creative area if that says anything.
03-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #34
Veteran Member

How many men with DSLRs do you usually see?

Perhaps its time to change the title to something more appropriate?

In my state of Washington, we have a female Govenor and 2 Senators, both female also. For several years, the major of our town was female to be replaced only recently by a male mayor with a female deputy major. The head of the local political party that i belong to is female. IIRC, there are now more women enrolled in American colleges than males (the males are playing High School football in preparation for their careers in the NFL). As a volunteer photographer with a professionally oriented live theatre, i now work for a female who's in overall charge of this non-profit (and she doesn an excellent job).

Major cultural changes are in store for America, which isn't bad if it replaces some of the corruption now going on

03-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually I think now that my locally skewed impressions have been corrected the matter is settled and the thread has served its purpose.
That and I need to move.

I think this quote from the movie Dogma about sums it up:

Bethany: Were they sent to Hell?
Metatron: Worse. Wisconsin. For the entire span of human history.

03-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see them pretty frequently, and when i'm covering live music events it's about equal on many nights
I don't do the soccer mom circuit so i don't see those ones
03-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I see many with m4/3 recently

03-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
I see many with m4/3 recently
I know they sell here but to be honest I see more Pentax than m4/3 or Sony when I am out and about in Toronto. but I see way more Canon or Nikon than all the others combined
03-24-2012, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here are two that should be viral *source PDN

03-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Looks like G20 but I know the uniforms indicate it's not. Journos frequently take hits from the cops who in general don't like them being there.
03-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Smartest person in those pics is the guy with the yellow shirt and sunglasses in the back.
Some day people will learn that the guy with the big stick decides what is legal or moral. Thinking otherwise is like explaining to the guy mugging you at gunpoint that its not legal or right to steal.
I won't even comment on the intelligence of a person that mixes cameras and cops, they get pissed even when there ISN'T a riot going on if you try to photograph anything with them in it.
They invented the super telephoto for a reason, to take pictures of things that run away from you, or things that you should run away from.
03-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I saw one !
Had to buy her the camera though

03-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
.... What amazes me on there is that most of the men on here do seem to be willing to share their good equipment with their wives and such. ....
Tell about it, I'm a pathological lender, my GF got my FA50 and DA-L 55-300 and the daughter got my nice Tamron 90/2.5 with the A adaptal ...
Pete
03-27-2012, 05:09 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Smartest person in those pics is the guy with the yellow shirt and sunglasses in the back.
Some day people will learn that the guy with the big stick decides what is legal or moral. Thinking otherwise is like explaining to the guy mugging you at gunpoint that its not legal or right to steal.
I won't even comment on the intelligence of a person that mixes cameras and cops, they get pissed even when there ISN'T a riot going on if you try to photograph anything with them in it.
They invented the super telephoto for a reason, to take pictures of things that run away from you, or things that you should run away from.
Both those people look like journos to me, so in fact the cops are beating the press, not a smart thing. it's a journos job to get fronmt and center in thos scenarios and get the image. At the G20 up here accredited journos had major issues with over amped cops abusing their position (AFAIK one guy had a camera "misplaced" and still hasn't got it back and he worked for a national daily)
03-27-2012, 06:10 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Both those people look like journos to me, so in fact the cops are beating the press, not a smart thing. it's a journos job to get fronmt and center in thos scenarios and get the image. At the G20 up here accredited journos had major issues with over amped cops abusing their position (AFAIK one guy had a camera "misplaced" and still hasn't got it back and he worked for a national daily)
here's the article link to the photo(s) PDN Pulse

Most females with DSLRs i meet on my walks are usually holding a Nikon or Canon