Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone use Meetup.com for anything?

I was recently invited to join meetup.com to shoot at a local workshop. After signing up and viewing the site, I find that I like the concept since it allows people with the same interests to "meetup" and all. The interests are vast and many, from hiking, the arts, cars, bicycling, etc., but I noticed most of the photography centered meetups all cost money. So what's up with that? In terms of photography, I'm beginning to think it's more of a place for people to advertise their workshops. Has anyone else used meetup and what's been your experience?

03-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been using it since last December. Two local groups mainly which are photography based and is usually free except for the occasional workshop, and one other which is run by a pro photographer who does workshops. I think it's mixed really and you have to look around for a group that fits your need or...start one yourself. One of these is this one:

Sonoma County Photography Group (Santa Rosa, CA) - Meetup

It also seems like the SMUG groups are all about workshops. It just depends. Look around.

My other impression is that a lot of the people in Meetups tend to be - and this is a very gross generalization on my part - less skilled. There are usually a few good photographers in the group though.
03-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm in a couple of meetups here in the northeast. They are great sources of education, comraderie, and new ideas of places to shoot. Both of them charge $5.00 per year, which is more than reasonable...and affordable. Another one, more educationally oriented, is charging $20 per session, which is too much for me, especially considering the distance from home. If you can't find any free or affordable meetups locally, I suggest you start one yourself, and you're bound to have many takers. Good luck!
03-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just signed up for a group here in the Liverpool, NY area. We'll see how it goes.

03-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foto guy Quote
I'm in a couple of meetups here in the northeast. They are great sources of education, comraderie, and new ideas of places to shoot. Both of them charge $5.00 per year, which is more than reasonable...and affordable. Another one, more educationally oriented, is charging $20 per session, which is too much for me, especially considering the distance from home. If you can't find any free or affordable meetups locally, I suggest you start one yourself, and you're bound to have many takers. Good luck!
I wouldn't moan about the $5.00/year fee either. Most of the groups in my area seem to be more workshop oriented charging anywhere from $30 to $150 a workshop. I'm noticing now that photography based groups tend to either be:

a) "Professional" photographer putting on workshops for a fee.
b) Hair/makeup people setting up model shoots for a fee.
c) Completely Beginners group doing photo walks.

In any case, I think I'll attend some of the ones that I can find for free. I also want to get used to how the website works before taking the plunge and starting my own group. Considering what's available in my area, I can certainly see a demand for a group that is less "profit oriented".

Lol...beyond that, I just don't see myself being that social and fraternizing with other photographers, since photography is mostly a solitary thing for me. I don't know how it is for the rest of you, but the forums here satiate most of my desire to "talk shop" But, I do realize if I ever want to make any money from my photography, I need to network...Oh the dilemma.
04-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I enjoy the social aspect of the groups but, like you, I prefer solitary shooting. Whenever I shoot with a group, I come home with mostly junk. So I don't do many group photo outings anymore, but a social or educational meetup I will (if I'm feeling social at the time). The one I participate in mostly is a good blend of skill levels and they have a wide variety of shoots they do. Too bad you can't move to Connecticut.
If you want, check out the group here: Mid-CT Photography Meetup Group (Newington, CT) - Meetup
04-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I've used meetup to find other players for my tabletop gaming group. It's worked well for that.

Too many photo groups feel like overpriced wannabe-pro and voyeur workshops (paying to photograph a nude model isn't my thing). Maybe PF has me spoiled because y'all keep teaching me stuff faster than I can go out and put it into practice. I'm also fortunate that my local astronomy club includes a retired newspaper photographer willing to share his expertise.