Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm happy I'm not a Pro. There are days you do not want to touch something (e.g. the camera) and there are times you want to do something in a specific way. Being a pro limits the enjoy in anything sometimes; it's like anything else that you "have" to do....

03-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
I'm happy I'm not a Pro. There are days you do not want to touch something (e.g. the camera) and there are times you want to do something in a specific way. Being a pro limits the enjoy in anything sometimes; it's like anything else that you "have" to do....
That's a very good point. There is a great deal of freedom in being an amateur.
03-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #18
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Every job has its dreaded aspects, even the best or most suited of jobs. It's all about putting it into perspective - and eventually the less desirable aspects of the job become less onerous. But in photography, most people love the travel and shooting aspect of the vocation rather than the sitting in front of the computer and manipulating the image part: when the final result is in mind, it makes the PP process more enjoyable.
04-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cscurrier Quote
There is definitely no simple answer for most of us in this aspect. I'm sure the transition varies greatly from person to person. But probably the first big step most of us probably has taken is to build connections. Start with whatever small jobs you can contract and kick some ass. Provide great results and a great experience for the client. Like most other businesses, word of mouth travels and helps a lot. For a little while, you may be only doing some "small" jobs here and there, but it helps to build a great resume and portfolio you can then present to bigger clients. Plus, you never know who your "little" clients may be connected to and they may recommend you for a nicer gig.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It's all about putting it into perspective - and eventually the less desirable aspects of the job become less onerous. But in photography, most people love the travel and shooting aspect of the vocation rather than the sitting in front of the computer and manipulating the image part: when the final result is in mind, it makes the PP process more enjoyable.
I was taken aback by those. Very true indeed. Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
Being a pro limits the enjoy in anything sometimes; it's like anything else that you "have" to do....
There's a good point there, but as they say, if you love something there's got to be a way around it, perhaps?

04-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
I hope we all could have helped!
04-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
How did you become a pro photographer?
Someone paid me.

Kind of reminds me of an anecdote from my youth, where a friend and I, (a friend prone to blurt things out when he really shouldn't,) walked into a rather sensitive scene involving organized crime and a number of mooks... Especially since at that age I had an uncanny way of reading 'cop' for some reason, (Apart from that I often carried a scanner in a largely unproductive effort at journalism) I'd just kind of managed to reassure these gents, 'Whoops, nope, wrong place at the wrong time, which is not where we are right now, actually,' when my friend blurts out, 'But! These are *professional killers!'*

Awkward moment. Then I'm like, "That's a relief. Whatever you do, lad, *don't pay anybody.* "
04-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
The answer depends upon what kind of "pro" a person wants to be. The guy at the mall doing assembly-line portraits is as much a "pro" as the guy who sells fine art prints of the landscapes he's taken in his world travels. The paths to each destination are radically different.
Very true.

In my case I spent about 5 years teaching myself photography after deciding to go professional. I acquired very good technical skills and experience working in challenging situations in terms of light and weather. My darkroom skills were at a professional level. Only after building my skills to a high level did I try for paid work. I got the first photographic job I applied for, at a small newspaper publisher. Used that experience combined with more self-directed study to build up additional skills. After several years I landed a job at a museum/archives where a combination of advanced technical knowledge and ability to pitch in as a generalist were required. I then enjoyed a very good 20-year career before taking early retirement. I have a great interest in the history and culture of the area where the museum is located, so the work was very meaningful for me. I did personal work and exhibited on the side.

If it wasn't for health issues, I'm confident that I could still be making a decent income based on my technical abilities. In particular, I think there is a nice market involving work for small to medium-size museums and archives that wish to digitize their photograph collections. (Working with old photos for museums also requires some knowledge of proper handling, old processes, other speciallized knowledge, and the ability to desgn and implement projects involvinbg thousands of images.)

In general I would say that a combination of high level skills with specialized knowledge is more likely to lead to a decent career than is the shoot everything, wait for the money to roll in approach.

An old friend of mine who is now a very famous nature photographer started as a wildlife biologist and combined his knowledge of and empathy for animals in the wild with photographic skills to build his career.

These days I'm sticking to my personal, fine art work- selling prints in galleries. Not a way to make a living, but satisfying.

John

Last edited by John Poirier; 04-02-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling
04-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #23
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
How to be a pro? Sell stuff. If you sell stuff, you're a pro. If you don't, you're an amateur. If you make your living selling stuff or otherwise being engaged in photography, you're definitely a pro. Long time ago, photography was my job, so I was a pro then. Doesn't mean I'm any good beyond certain limits, or that my judgment is any better than a gifted amateur's; just means that I got paid for wielding a camera and producing images.

I saw a study a few years ago that the 'average' photographic professional in USA has a lower income than a fast-food manager. The message is clear: Go to McFood U. Get and keep the day job. Shoot elsewhen. Otherwise, you're in competition with every n00b with a Rebel.

I do a considerable amount of traveling and can't help but notice all of the people that claim they are a wedding photographer; and then (even worse) somehow manage to get the job. There are very few true career professional photographers out there - especially for weddings. Could most part time pro's have the resources (or experience) to really do a wedding effectively??

Wondering what type of customer would want to take a gamble with what is supposed to be a once in a lifetime event - by hiring a photographer with an almost Walmart camera?? BTW can't tell everyone out there how many times I've seen a wedding job (or any other professional job) go completely down the drain because the so called photographer missed far too many pics - or even had their one and only camera fail.

Which reminds me; should we start a thread about epic fails??