Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will a FF Pentax be released or announced in 2012?
Yes, a FF Pentax will be released or announced in 2012. 3243.24%
No release or announcement. 4256.76%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I believe Pentax will not (and should not) ever do a FF dslr. Now, a mirrorless FF is another story, and Pentax can be the first one doing it. I believe if they do, it will put them back on track (although I am not personally going for it)

03-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe announced in 2012. Maybe released spring of 2013. Significantly different (unique) than anything you have ever seen yet generally within the context of a dSLR.
03-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Pentax needs to be careful in enlarging their company to handle more lines of cameras. In technology/skill driven companies, bringing in too many new employees faster than they can be trained and assigned to useful work, builds up overhead costs with no immediate gain in revenue. One risks the existence of a company to expand rapidly.

I don't doubt that Pentax will manufacture a FF camera, but they need to rebuild the company along the way.
03-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
they will bring one on the market this year, first shown in Koln. I will be there in september and if possible buy one instantly, lol

03-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm hoping for a compact full-frame along the K-5 line at Photokina. I'm lusting after a D800, but the size won't work for the type of shooting I like to do. If they release a full-frame, I'll still be worried about full-frame compatible lenses. May have to rely on 3rd party manufacturers (sigma?) for the lenses.
03-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery
don't have to worry about that. I still have some old ff lenses
04-01-2012, 03:45 AM   #22
Forum Member

After having talked with an official Pentax sales rep here in France and asking her directly the question she quietly said that Pentax will release many new products in 2012 and she could not say more.

I will not mention her name here, but there is good promise here. This year there is the Photokina and the Paris Photofare. So manufacturers will be releasing new products, and Pentax should be no exception.

04-01-2012, 03:55 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BNBPhoto Quote
...that Pentax will release many new products in 2012 and she could not say more.... but there is good promise here.
Sorry, but what good promise? Pentax will release new products, no doubt about that. Products such as the replacement of the K-r, some P&S cameras. Perhaps even a new flagship APS-C camera.
04-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Sorry, but what good promise?
Well let's just say that the way and the tone she replied to my question was implying that the "new releases" would be in the sense of the question I asked her.
04-04-2012, 04:35 AM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
I believe Pentax will not (and should not) ever do a FF dslr. Now, a mirrorless FF is another story, and Pentax can be the first one doing it. I believe if they do, it will put them back on track (although I am not personally going for it)
Leica made the first FF mirrorless. Unless I'm missing something...
If its going to be a FF mirrorless then I don't think it will be this year. The Evfs are not fast enough yet.
It would fit the Pentax brand in terms of uniqueness though. And fill an interesting gap in the market.
It would definetly be in the advanced amateur category.
But it would have to be very very good to do even remotely well and below the $2000 mark.

I just don't think it's going to happen.
It will be a slr IF there is one IMO.
04-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Wrong forum. My guess is that it won't be out until next year, though.
I agree.