Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will a FF Pentax be released or announced in 2012?
Yes, a FF Pentax will be released or announced in 2012. 3243.24%
No release or announcement. 4256.76%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Will Pentax/Ricoh bring a FF camera in 2012?

Over the last few years that I've been a Pentax user, the rumors and wishes of a FF Pentax release have resurfaced again and again every few months. And time after time the hopes have turned out to be unanswered. Now under the new Ricoh overlord, the FF rumors are again in their prime time. While there is little or no real data around, even many hard-core Pentaxians seem to be already discussing the Photokina 2012 announcement as a fact, comparing the alleged camera to the competition and such! Personally I'm fairly confident that there will be no Pentax FF this year. Or the next.

But let's see how seriously Pentaxians take the current rumors. A full frame Pentax camera (DSLR or mirrorless) announced or released in 2012: yay or nay?

03-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Considering the massive threads we already have on this subject.. a lot of people want a FF, a large portion of them have given up hope, some threaten to leave unless they get it; some people are against FF and want just a really high end crop sensor; but most people don't really care about FF vs APS-C, they have other priorities.
Do I think they will announce FF this year? About as likely as ever.
03-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Thank you, finally a poll on this! I'm still beleving in PhotoKina this september!
03-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Wrong forum. My guess is that it won't be out until next year, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I hope they do, but I think they will not. I am not likely to buy one if it does come out, but it would give more credibility to the brand and I'd really like to see my fellow PFers happy. Maybe in a few years one will filter down to me in the used market as a home for my 55/1.2.
03-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Wrong forum.
Sorry. I thought that News or rumors might be the wrong place, but couldn't figure where to put it.
03-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't think they will either, but...

03-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nay.

I say Pentax needs to keep working on making the best APS-C camera's in the world.
Then once they've earned everyone's respect as the best of the best, they can use this to put the fear of Oden into their competitors when they announce they're going to enter the FF market.

Last edited by JohnBee; 03-29-2012 at 09:01 PM.
03-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

With developments now going really quickly in the prosumer cameras, waiting to long to jump into FF would probably make it too late. If a FF is coming, I expect it to be announced this year.

OTOH, the high end of APS-C must have some edge to keep going. The FUJI X-Pro1 sensor looks like beating them all; is it the sort of thing Pentax can do? Not so sure whether they have the technology to do that as it is apparently Fuji's specialty (the layer on the sensor). It is very interesting to hear D700 and M9 owners saying that the X-pro1's IQ is comparable. But it is a different sort of camera than a dslr, if Pentax can equal it with a K-5 successor, that would be tantalising. A fast 18-20mm would be nice, though, to complement the 31 and 55mm.
03-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Does anyone refer to Nikon as Mitsubishi/Nikon?
No, it is just Nikon.
So why do people insist on referring to Pentax as Hoya/Pentax, HoyaTax, and now Ricoh/Pentax?
Or am I missing something and these same people who refer to Pentax as Ricoh/Pentax also refer to Nikon as Mitsubishi/Nikon?
03-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Does anyone refer to Nikon as Mitsubishi/Nikon?
I interpret references to Pentax/Ricoh as a sign of a new beginning, hence hope, not something that is meant negatively, although I admit that's just one take on it. Another possibility is that Ricoh actually make cameras too, unlike Mitsubishi.

Pentax/Hoya, on the other hand, was a not entirely happy marriage. So the references made sense, but let's drop them, yes.
03-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a difference between a wholly-owned subsidiary and a distinct business unit owned by a Holding Company

Ricoh Establishes PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.

Mitsubishi does not "own" Nikon. All Mitsubishi group companies are separate and independent business units with separate funds.

Nikon Corporation
03-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I think Pentax will announce a FF camera at Photokina with availability in early 2013. I think they’re working like crazy at the moment in the Pentax labs on a FF DSLR and a couple of FA zooms. If Photokina comes and goes with no FF announcement then I really do think it may never happen, there has never been a more imperative time for Pentax to make the FF move, to not do so now will prove suicide for them in the DSLR space.
03-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Will Pentax/Ricoh bring a FF camera in 2012? ->
03-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Maybe the poll should be multi-choice:

* Yes
* No
* Who knows?
* Who cares?

I'll go with WHO KNOWS? because none of us has the slightest idea what P-R-I-C will do here, or when.