Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-5 replacement speculation?

So we can assume that we should see better AF and video stuff in the K-5 replacement, and maybe the Sony 24mp sensor from the Nex 7. If so, how is that 24mp sensor regarded? Is it as good as the 16mp sensor in the K-5? Just wondering...

03-29-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The news and rumors forum isn't for speculation I'm interested to hear more about how that sensor's doing, though!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been wondering the same thing. I was looking at DXOMark and was wondering if the score was based on MP or sensor size. If it isn't, then the new D800 has an amazing score. What if they created a APS-C version of that sensor for he new K-5?
I know people say the D800 sensor is the same as the K-5 sensor, just in full frame. But if DXOMark score doesn't rely on sensor size or MP, then the only way to get better score is to increase the performance of the sensor.
03-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The news and rumors forum isn't for speculation I'm interested to hear more about how that sensor's doing, though!
Oops! Sorry! I wasn't really sure where to put it and N&R was a guess...

03-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
So we can assume that we should see better AF and video stuff in the K-5 replacement, and maybe the Sony 24mp sensor from the Nex 7. If so, how is that 24mp sensor regarded? Is it as good as the 16mp sensor in the K-5? Just wondering...
The K-5 replacement is going to be so good that it's going to send FF fans into a violent frenzy.

Having said that, I think Sony is going to turn the Nikon and Canon FF market on its head this year with their upcoming FF solution. Granted, it won't have the low light performance and AF of the Canon and Nikon, but it will be provide consumers with an excellent FF system at a very affordable price.

Having said that, I think its going to be very exciting year for product innovations in the camera industry.

PS. these are nothing more than my own speculations btw. Though the Pentax bit is perhaps more wishful thinking than speculation
03-31-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Granted, it won't have the low light performance and AF of the Canon and Nikon
Didn't Sony recently have a prototype 100 cross-type focusing system? That should scare Canikon alittle. Obviously they don't have the mature algorithms that go with the 100 cross-types, but the SLT implementation offers something no one else has at the moment. I'm actually glad Sony went that route. If Pentax is looking for something to differntiate themselves with, Sony already has it...