Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2012, 07:08 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Am I a Troll? :)

I just realized this is probably in the wrong thread. Moderator please move.

So late last night I was bored and I decided to do a spoof review of the 5d Mark III. Some people liked it. One guy called me a Nikon fanboy and one guy called me a troll. Both don't realize the point of what I did. Either way, it is the most helpful critical review of it right now. Wondering what you all think of it? Feel free to give a thumbs up for helpfulness.

Here's the link

Here's what I wrote:

I bought this camera because I need higher quality profile pictures for my Facebook. My 1.3 megapixel (I think that's what it is called) camera on my flip phone wasn't cutting it. I make a dang good sexy-duck-face and with 22 glorious megapixels, it really shines. I would have given it fives stars except it hurts my wrist to hold it one handed while taking said sexy-duck-face pictures.

Also, I want a camera that earned me some respect. Nothing says serious photographer like a camera that cost as much as my car. I will admit that I am new to photography but that's ok. This camera almost takes the pictures for me. I get respect from all of my Instagram friends with this camera. Only problem is...I can't seem to find the "grundge" filters on it. I docked a star for that. Now if only I could find a good set of railroad tracks...

Also another problem, the touch screen on this camera seems to be broken. I am thinking of taking it back but don't want to deal with the hassle.

I also had and issue when I first starting taking photos. Nothing ever turned out. Luckily I called a friend of mine who let me borrow a lens. What kind of a camera maker ships a camera without a lens?

I also don't think this camera needs all of those extra features. I mean seriously, who uses anything but "Auto"? Waste of space if you ask me. Plus the Tv function doesn't seem to work. Question for the masses... Anyone know of a good antenna for this? I'd love to watch my shows on this thing. I prefer if it was something discrete. I don't want to have to carry a set of rabbit ears around if you know what I'm saying.

So to sum it up.

Pros:
Takes good pictures
I feel pretty cool with this hanging around my neck
I get respect when people see this

Cons:
Hurts my wrist when taking self portraits
Doesn't come with a lens
Too many modes. I just want "Auto"
Can't find the "grundge" filters
Touch screen on back is broken.
Internal Antenna doesn't work. Looking for a good external one if anyone knows of a good brand.

Would I Recommend It?:
If it wasn't for all the respect I get when people see this hanging around my neck it would be a toss up.

Last edited by lurchlarson; 03-30-2012 at 07:15 AM.
03-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, you are clearly a Nikon fan boy!

Excellent satire. Makes me want to get one myself!

Oh, as far a being a troll goes, I'd say you are more of a pixie.
03-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's kinda messed up. One, *you* are not poking fun at yourself for buying the camera - as most men - don't do duck faces on facebook. That is a female thing for the most part. What you are playing up is the stereotype misogynistic view that women who buy DSLRs are stupid.

VERY uncool - even if you *are* a woman.

Plus, reviews are the things that I read, and while I understand this is satire, it won't help when others come and trash Pentax products.

VERY not cool.

So your post/review - FAIL.
03-30-2012, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very good.

I should complain about my K-5 as well, it's TV mode doesn't work either. Hmm, under those rubber caps on the side of my camera there ARE a couple of holes that look like you might be able to push something into like an antenna made from a coathanger.

Hi lurchlarson, check your 5d mk III. Maybe it has some holes under some covers that you could shove a coathanger into. Then maybe you'll get TV working.

(To the humour disabled, do NOT take this comment as serious)

Last edited by mtansley; 03-30-2012 at 08:20 AM.
03-30-2012, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #5
Inactive Account

Pretty funny if you ask me, it's blatantly obvious you were just having a bit of fun at the expense of no one at all.
03-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
It's kinda messed up. One, *you* are not poking fun at yourself for buying the camera - as most men - don't do duck faces on facebook. That is a female thing for the most part. What you are playing up is the stereotype misogynistic view that women who buy DSLRs are stupid.

VERY uncool - even if you *are* a woman.

Plus, reviews are the things that I read, and while I understand this is satire, it won't help when others come and trash Pentax products.

VERY not cool.

So your post/review - FAIL.

...wow....
03-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I thought it was funny also, BUT... it might be to early to do this type of humor with a camera like the 5D Mark III. As you may or may not have noticed, camera release periods causes everyone to be on heightened alert. Not to mention that the Canon crowd is known for it's, well... lets just call it extra sensitivity toward their products

03-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Point well made. However, with the crowd of said sensitivity I don't know that there ever is a "right" time. At least this time, plenty of people see it. Looks like my count is 1 to 41 of people who don't like it.
03-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Technicall you are a troll - you have a mock review that may be misinterpreted by people lacking in humor, who do not read very well, or who spot it's mocking tone but take your intent as to insult the camera.

Now, whether or not you are a mean spirited troll... that's a different question and a far more important one. I found your review humorous and lacking in bite.
03-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

When you call someones baby ugly, in jest or not, you get the expected results. An Amazon review doesn't seem to be the right forum for this kind of thing.

Last edited by tuco; 03-30-2012 at 08:57 AM.
03-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The thread is
QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
I just realized this is probably in the wrong thread. Moderator please move.
It's fine here. I just hope everybody sees it!
03-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is all in the placement of the post.

Had you posted the Spoof here you wouldn't be a Troll, you would be a humorist. Having posted on an open review site (or worse, in a Canon Forum someplace like DPR) you clearly would be a troll, "trolling for strikes," i.e. fishing for attention.
03-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
What you are playing up is the stereotype misogynistic view that women who buy DSLRs are stupid.
For what it's worth, I didn't read it that way at all Lauren. I read it to be playing up the mis-idiotical stereotype of people that take, and post, tons of sexy-duck-face images on facebook are stupid. That and the stereotype of people that buy expensive Canon DSLRs place a disproportionate emphasis looking cool in the eyes of their peers. Still playing up stereotypes though... so shame, shame on you lurchlarson.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Canon crowd is known for it's, well... lets just call it extra sensitivity toward their products
Right, 'cuz I may be new here but I've already noticed how laid back we Pentaxians are when people mention Kr FF issues or K5 buttons falling off...
03-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Funny, but not for the review section of Amazon. There I prefer to read real reviews. But that's me.
03-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HockeyDad Quote
Right, 'cuz I may be new here but I've already noticed how laid back we Pentaxians are when people mention Kr FF issues or K5 buttons falling off...
Or the K-01 (oops, did I really say that? )