Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Best camera for manual lenses

Asking expert advice:

What's the best camera out there for using with manual lenses (specially M42)? I want a digital camera, not necessarly Pentax, with a pleasant viewfinder and compact body that can take those lenses.

After having bought a stash of used Pentax lenses, I figured out I used (and enjoyed) the manual lenses the most, but manual focus on the viewfinder of my K-x sucks. Also, I could use smaller body. Any ideas? Thx

04-01-2012, 02:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Since you have Pentax MF as well as M42 ones, I'd say consider the K-01.
Its right sized and works with focus peaking and one of the best APS-C sensors out there.
Furthermore, you keep the camera company you like alive by buying their products (which is not a bad product at all); so a win-win.

If you have M or LTM lenses, then either NEX5n or GXR M-mount.
The NEX has better low light performance, MP and better LCD/EVF if you buy one, but mainly menu diving interface.
The GXR has better color OOC, more buttons, sharper o/p w/o AA filter.
Both have peaking to help MF.

Else, you can consider a FF 2nd hand 5D. The downside is that its the price of a new K5 and the K5 thumps it for o/p, AF, etc.
I considered this option, but gave up for the reason above and I can shoot my RB67 if I want shallow DOF for the same FOV.
5DII is viable too if you are willing to spend on one. Lots of folks selling it for the 5DIII. Pretty expensive for a MF platform though...

Gd luck on your search.
04-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, the best were old film SLR lol
If I were you I would wait for Pentax to announce their new products, as there are rumours they will have big 100% optical viewfinders. Maybe they will also feature focus peaking. Something like that, maybe adding a focusing screen or a magnified eyecup.. that would really be a Manual Focus beast!
Other cameras with focus peaking are also candidates, but some people prefer to look through an OVF rather than at a screen, especially on sunny days. And when it comes to M42 compatibility I think Pentax takes the cake.
04-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Since you have Pentax MF as well as M42 ones, I'd say consider the K-01.
Its right sized and works with focus peaking and one of the best APS-C sensors out there.
Furthermore, you keep the camera company you like alive by buying their products (which is not a bad product at all); so a win-win.
Sadly, the K-01 doesn't feature a viewfinder - otherwise I would have chosen it already, hands down.

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
If you have M or LTM lenses, then either NEX5n or GXR M-mount.
The NEX has better low light performance, MP and better LCD/EVF if you buy one, but mainly menu diving interface.
The GXR has better color OOC, more buttons, sharper o/p w/o AA filter.
Both have peaking to help MF.
I have tried the NEX already, but hated it's ergonomics. The GXR with the M-mount is truly interesting (I could also trade my K lens for some M ones), but unfortunately Ricoh products are even harder to find here in Brazil than Pentax ones - I couldn't find one retailer selling a GXR.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Well, the best were old film SLR lol
I'm afraid you're right I would love to still use one, but film processing is not a viable option for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
If I were you I would wait for Pentax to announce their new products, as there are rumours they will have big 100% optical viewfinders. Maybe they will also feature focus peaking. Something like that, maybe adding a focusing screen or a magnified eyecup.. that would really be a Manual Focus beast!
Other cameras with focus peaking are also candidates, but some people prefer to look through an OVF rather than at a screen, especially on sunny days. And when it comes to M42 compatibility I think Pentax takes the cake
Looks like it. I just wish Pentax released a no-fuss camera with a great viewfinder and a more compact (or square) form-factor. I can't stand the ammount of attention a DSLR grabs.

04-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

For manual focusing, a good camera for it would be a full frame since your lenses were made for 35mm format cameras and it has a huge viewfinder. But if you don't prefer a full frame, any camera using a penta-prism for its viewfinder, like those from Pentax's K-7 and K-5 (which are compact). It's more easier to view from it and brighter. And also replace your focusing screen with a split focusing screen, it's way more easier to focus manually with it.

Last edited by richard balonglong; 04-04-2012 at 08:57 AM.
04-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lets break this down into a couple of different points.

1) We neeed to determine first and foremost whether you want a full frame sensor or not.

If you want full frame, then for manual lenses, the best (IMO) is a canon. This is because canon has the shortest regestry distance of the major camera makers (pentax included) and also a very large diameter mount. Therefore for virtually any MF lens there is for 35mm film, it is relitively simple to get a mechanical adaptor to attach your lens to the camera and using stopped down metering and manual focus, take quality shots.

A canon user would be best at explaining the exposure functions and flash capabilities to you as I don't own one personally.

2) do you want support for flash better than using a flash capible of "AUTO"

If the answer is yes to this question, then really the *istD series of cameras is for you, because the *istD DS and DS2 at leaast, can support not only P-TTL flash (for lenses with A setting) but also TTL flash as these cameras have a dedicated flash sensor that takes light reflected right off the sensor, and therefore do not need to know any information about the lens to get the exposure.

3) Metering accuracy.

I can't comment about canon cameras and metering, but within pentax, from my experience, only the K5D has metering accuracy that is as good as the origonal *istD with manual lenses. I have posted at length about the inaccuracies of other bodies, with manual aperture lenses.

4) view finders

Full Frame cameras are better than ASP-C s they have bigger brighter viewfinders than ASP-C cameras, ASP-C cameras with Penta Prisms are better than those with penta mirrors, so in pentax this leaves you getting the higher end cameras,
04-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Trying to buy Pentax equipment in Brazil is really hard, I can only image Ricoh. I hope they plan to change that. We only have canon/nikon/sony options for DSLRs, even 4/3 are harder to find. I got my K-r and K-01 from family/friends that went to US.

By the way I recommend you think again about the K-01. LCD + Focus Peaking beats any VF by a large margin. It's so nice I'm barely using the AF on my K-01 no matter which lens is on it. Too bad you don't live in the same city as me, otherwise we could get together and I could show it to you in person.

I suggest you at least wait for the K-5 replacement that should come with this feature.

04-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just a little word of warning. The ist-d can do full ttl but the ist-ds can only do it with external flashes. If I understand right, if the flash is both p-ttl and ttl the ds will default to p-ttl and not work too. I have the ds and it works fine with externals but the internal not working can be a little annoying at times.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/2345-pentax-d...l-flash-2.html