Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
APS-C K5 successor

There have been a lot of talk about the K-r replacement, probably K-z, and a new full frame class, and the launched K-01, but i cannot find much talk about a direct K-5 successor. A high end APS-C camera. K5 is over 1,5 years old and shure Pentax must be working on a direct successor. Maby even launch it later this year. What could we expect? Do anyone care or are they too high on the full frame idea? Or just so happy whit the K-5 that they are constantly out photographing and forgot all about PentaxForums?

Here is what i hope/expect:
- Sonys 24 Mp og Samsungs 20 Mp sensor
- Weaker AA filter, maby none
- K5-based housing
- Upgraded AF-system
- Smarter software (panorama stitching, something like Sonys multishot)
- Video pixel binning
- Video SR, AF and AE
- Video digital zoom

04-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Speculations go to in the general photography/industry section- moved.

I think you've nailed it except for the AA filter and K-5-based housing, also not sure about the software gimmicks.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Hey, how about an Android portal to upload photo edit software?
Or... an expansion port/socket to add features like a SSD?
04-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
Forum Member

That would be a nice specs list, but I often wonder whether Sony's 24-megapixel APS-C sensor is something of a step backwards in terms of signal-noise ratio and dynamic range. Samsung also has a record of producing sensors which aren't quite up to the standard of Sony or Canon (smaller R&D budget, I'd expect) particularly when high ISO is concerned. In truth, I'm really hoping that Pentax just fix the known K-5 bugbears with a K-5 Mk.II, and then devote their time and money towards other things, such as DA* lenses or something.

Regards!

04-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #5

How will they call it now ? The SS ? The K-Reich ? Hitlercam ?
04-03-2012, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asp Explorer Quote
How will they call it now ? The SS ? The K-Reich ? Hitlercam ?
Because KZ is exactly equivalent to K-z. No differences there at all.

The way people go out of their way to be offended, and think they're entitled to Not be offended, is shameful.
04-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Convert Quote
That would be a nice specs list, but I often wonder whether Sony's 24-megapixel APS-C sensor is something of a step backwards in terms of signal-noise ratio and dynamic range. Samsung also has a record of producing sensors which aren't quite up to the standard of Sony or Canon (smaller R&D budget, I'd expect) particularly when high ISO is concerned. In truth, I'm really hoping that Pentax just fix the known K-5 bugbears with a K-5 Mk.II, and then devote their time and money towards other things, such as DA* lenses or something.

Regards!
I second the Samsung sensor idea. However, I must admit I haven't pixel peeped their latest camera to form an accurate opinion, though my gut instinct says to stay away from them based on what happened with the K-7.

Having said that, I think Sony's latest sensor looks pretty good. And if Pentax can implement the same type of performance in the K-01 with the K-3, then they may just inherit another round as the top APS-C on the market.

Having said that, I'd like to see the following improvements in the K-3:

• 24MP (can we ever have enough pixels)
  • Low level noise control(RAW NR: ON/OFF)
  • Better DR, color and resolution(as always)
  • Focus Peeking
  • Single button zoom and hold in LV(preset zoom, push, focus, release, shoot. Can also be used for peeking)
  • Better LV functions(green, eV, ISO shutter etc when zoomed in LV)
  • Contrast detect *focus peeking in LV
  • Weaker AA filter(but NOT 0)
  • Better FPS selections(8/5/3)
  • Deeper Buffer(30 RAW @ 8FPS)
  • More surface control capabilities

And then there's a bunch of other stuff I'd like to see but isn't really necessary

04-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I really need to see a significant jump in capability and not just a MP upgrade to move from the K5.
Off the top of my head :
  • 24MP
  • Option to turn ON/OFF : High/Low pixel sensitivity (like Fuji S5pro), becoming 12MP o/p
  • Better DR - with high/low pixel implementation above.
  • Better AF (more sensitive; more accurate esp above 4m)
  • Focus Peeking
  • Touch screen (more useful than just a gimmick : focus point selection; fast menu select )
  • Window in window zoom in box at 2x magnification
  • Weaker or no AA filter
04-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Because KZ is exactly equivalent to K-z. No differences there at all.

The way people go out of their way to be offended, and think they're entitled to Not be offended, is shameful.
It's maybe because in Europe we have "sensibilities" on different subjects. But I'm pretty sure it will be OK for Pentax to release a K-kk in the USA, I don't know.
04-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #10

not the Sony 24MP please ... 16MP is plenty anoff and my computeu wont be strong anoff for file that heavy (and there is no point ! )
04-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
Hey, how about an Android portal to upload photo edit software?
Or... an expansion port/socket to add features like a SSD?
Is that so your Androids can dream of electric photoshop? (No apologies for being equally obscure)

Now, you can "peek" at your focus all you like, but I'll take Focus-peaking any day, because my eyesight is definitely on the down-hill run from its peak.

I think a combination of JohnBee's and pinholecam's versions of a K-5II is the more desirable one - in-camera trickery doesn't appeal to me in a DSLR, in fact you could leave the existing special modes out for all I care, but I know some people like to tinker on the spot, and it presumably costs almost nothing to include them in the camera's firmware.

The answer to more pixels is bigger hard drives - you can't buy small ones anymore - and any computer bought in the last two to three years should have more than enough processor power to deal with the change from 16 to 24MP.
04-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Or just so happy whit the K-5 that they are constantly out photographing and forgot all about PentaxForums?
I'm definitely with this one....the K5 hits the spot for me, not remotely interested in the next generation

Simon
04-04-2012, 03:49 AM   #13

This is not a new rumour.
Ever since the NEX-7 sensor was introduced, a K-5s was immediately inroduced to the rumour mill.
The sensor isn't bad at all. In fact, according to DxOMark, it is the best APS sensor in the market, as measured in the Sony NEX-7 - without a semi-translucent mirror in front of it.
Changes expected are a slight rearrangement of some buttons to make room for a "direct movie capture" button, a better screen and a new more powerfull processor.
Otherwise, it will be identical to the K-5 which will not be discontinued, but remain in production at a reduced price.

To me, this is a product that makes perfect sense and I'm looking forward to.
04-04-2012, 04:04 AM   #14
Inactive Account

The k-r successor will surely be the k-s. was it that fake leaked image that made everyone think it would be kz? Surely Pentax ruled that out before the k-r??
They had the k-x and thought "what next?"
k-y.... Erm nope
K-z then? No again.
And so they chose something completely different- k-r.
So unless they follow the previous method (m-x-r) which is seemingly random then they will just go for the next letter (s)
04-04-2012, 05:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simonkit Quote
m definitely with this one....the K5 hits the spot for me, not remotely interested in the next generatio
I'm very satisfied with my K-5 and cannot se myself buying the successor, but i cannot guarantee that. Still, i'm curious on whats next.