Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I gotta say, this kinda makes me laugh. Look at the video game industry recently. American corporations deciding that Australians should pay 60% more for a digital download version of the same game sold in the U.S. - not even dealing with shipping and packaging. UK? 40% more in a lot of cases. The Americans' rationale for this? Oh, we did some market research and decided that other countries should pay according to their ability, and can afford to pay more.

What a load of tripe. The U.S., despite its horrible economic issues (all brought on themselves in the pursuit of short term greed) is still one of the richest nations in the world. Maybe by same American corporations' logic, the U.S. should be paying more for the same product! The only difference here is, it's not a U.S. brand/corporation. Well boo hoo. Maybe things wouldn't be so vicious if the U.S. weren't continually trying to screw everyone else.

So, I guess this is a taste of what the U.S. has been doing to the rest of us. Deal with it, and don't worry too much, I'm sure the American resellers will enjoy their pursuit of short term gains with these new prices. Dollars today are all that matter after all, right?
We do the same thing to ourselves. Digital versions of books are often more expensive than paper. Corporations will charge what they can to whomever they can. I don't expect them to care about or respect me, but I do expect them to respect my cash. Other camera companies represent a better value now, and they're still foreign owned corporations. I don't think we'd cry foul if the prices increased to the same as those around the world, but we're being price gouged now. You're letting your rage over US policies affect you. We're all Pentaxians, we should stand together. Australia and the UK have Tariffs that cause some of the price increases. While I don't agree with the US tax policy of "don't tax but spend", our government doesn't tax us, but we have to spend the money elsewhere for the services they don't provide.

04-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Higher prices are okay, if they translate to these things:

• Five-year lens warranties, like Nikon
  • US Customer service responders who know at least as much about the product as I do, if more is too much to hope
  • Beyond-the-standard quality control
  • Clear signs that the money going into innovation and R&D
  • Pentax being available in retail stores around the country
Sure, it's expensive, but it's an expensive hobby (or profession). I don't mind paying for nice things.
Absolutely correct - and we'll see what Ned and John produce over the coming months.
04-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps this is a move designed to strengthen Pentax' image in the USA as a "quality" brand rather than a "value for money" brand? I know that doesn't exactly help you guys, might help explain it though.

One observation to note, when the K5 first came out I had a UK cam chain offer me one at £100 below the posted rate everywhere else. But, the deal was, I couldn't tell anyone about it. So from that I'd have to infer that some degree of price protection has already happened for a while in Europe, perhaps unofficially.

This wouldn't surprise me, as in the business I work a major manufacturer has tried to deal with the grey market (where an online seller buys items dirt cheap in Russia then resells them for more in the UK, but undercutting the price we in the UK have to pay for these items) but they're having legal issues, ie price fixing being illegal under EU law.

In fact, 'commoditization' is quite hated in my industry because it cuts dealer margin. When something becomes a commodity - ie people don't look at the features but at the lowest price, it's dangerous for that product. Because it's a descending circle through competition (prices get ever lower) and then dealers stop stocking/selling it, because there are other products that give more margin. Which might have been what happened here.

Does anyone happen to know or have an idea about the profit that the US business unit made last year? Have been changes at senior sales and marketing level in the US?
04-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As long as prices are cheaper in Canada, I think I will be using Prodigital 2000. I have to think as well that prices aren't going to be quite as high in the long run as they are now, as they are significantly higher than competing products from Canon/Nikon. Pentax cannot sell a 16-50 f2.8 lens for more than 1100 dollars since that was what Canon charges for their (much nicer) 17-55 f2.8 IS lens. Unless your product is clearer better, you just can't price it completely out of the marketplace (and Ricoh isn't stupid despite all appearances to the contrary),.

04-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
We do the same thing to ourselves. Digital versions of books are often more expensive than paper. Corporations will charge what they can to whomever they can.
You missed the point. In a lot of cases, the ebook version would be about 50-60% more in AU than it is in the U.S., and the printed version would also be 50-60% more than in the U.S., plus shipping. It's the mentality that everyone else should pay more "because they can" that's so obnoxious. It's not "because they can", it's "because they're not American, so it's right to rip them off". The U.S. can certainly afford to pay more for a lot of things, but as soon as something from elsewhere goes up in price, the crying starts.

For the record, I'm not saying the new guidelines are reasonable, positive or anything else. In general, I don't think companies should have a say in what their products sell for, beyond setting their own prices to the distributors. I'm just saying it seems hypocritical to say "We (the U.S.) deserve better" when these kinds of measures (and much, much worse ones) are pushed by U.S. companies every single day. So, this time the U.S. got stung by their own brand of scam. I'm not overly sympathetic.

We're all Pentaxians, we should stand together.
Sorry, I didn't join any club or organization. I shoot a particular brand of camera. It's just a camera. I like it, and I like a lot of the products of this brand, which would be why I bought it. It's not a political affiliation, nor a religion, not even a social commitment. I help here where I can, because it's something I've become somewhat knowledgeable about, and I have some time, and it helps my own learning process to be reading all this stuff. It's not out of any sense of affiliation. Fanboyism is counterproductive.
04-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You missed the point.
You missed the point. I know corporations don't give a damn about the consumer. Stuff sells for higher in other countries partially because of tariffs and other taxes; know that it's going to cost more than the US(in general) because the US is not a country that provides for its citizens. Those taxes provide for the society as a whole. That aside corporations will charge whatever they can get away with. Don't buy that video game if you don't want to pay the excessive price I know I won't be buying Pentax products until they fix this situation.

So you don't want to belong to a community or be a "fanboy", fine. Seems you're more the type who's motivated by petty vindications.

Last edited by kenafein; 04-04-2012 at 03:10 PM.
04-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Higher prices are okay, if they translate to these things:

• Five-year lens warranties, like Nikon
  • US Customer service responders who know at least as much about the product as I do, if more is too much to hope
  • Beyond-the-standard quality control
  • Clear signs that the money going into innovation and R&D
  • Pentax being available in retail stores around the country
Sure, it's expensive, but it's an expensive hobby (or profession). I don't mind paying for nice things.
Other than RD, those things mean nothing to me.

04-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #38
Veteran Member

So you don't want to belong to a community or be a "fanboy", fine. Seems your more the type who's motivated by petty vindications.
Watch yourself. Belonging to a community and agreeing with you because you're a Pentax user are two completely different things. If learning more about the hobby and helping others here with what I've learned, and throwing in the odd opinion post - which is all yours is, are petty to you, that speaks more of you than me. Have a nice day.
04-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Watch yourself. Belonging to a community and agreeing with you because you're a Pentax user are two completely different things. If learning more about the hobby and helping others here with what I've learned, and throwing in the odd opinion post - which is all yours is, are petty to you, that speaks more of you than me. Have a nice day.
Your vitriolic and confrontational posts don't do anyone any good. You don't have to agree with me, but you don't have to take pleasure in the situation that affects many of the people who you learn from in this community. The community you don't support in word or deed(site support). Have a nice life.
04-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Other than RD, those things mean nothing to me.
Really? You don't think a longer warranty and better QC - signs that a company stands behind its products - mean anything?
04-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Philoslothical & Kenafein - fellas, play nice please, otherwise I'l have use my awesome moderator wand of doom. Consider this a warning.

Thanks
04-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #42
Veteran Member

As I told you before...all things change.

Just because one was in love with everything Pentax - the young guns come on board and everything gets changed. Sometimes to the point of it having almost no resemblance to the original.

And any successful love affair has to be a two way commitment. You both are committed to each other. But Ricoh/Pentax seems to have fallen out of love with its loyal customer base.
04-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #43
Veteran Member

With regard to the boycott idea, i count only 4 folks, including myself that would join the boycott - so thats not going to do much.

The most constructive thing for me to do is sell off the lenses i no longer use much, and wait till later in the year to see if i agree with how Ricoh conducts their program. If not, i'm out of here.

Meanwhile i'm going to start looking at other brands. I could use some advice on that. If i jump ship, which brands should i look at. I don't want to give up on the kind of low light performance i get from the K5. Seems like that kind of limits me to Nikon and Sony. Or does Canon have something thats comparable to the K5?
04-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
With regard to the boycott idea, i count only 4 folks, including myself that would join the boycott - so thats not going to do much.

The most constructive thing for me to do is sell off the lenses i no longer use much, and wait till later in the year to see if i agree with how Ricoh conducts their program. If not, i'm out of here.

Meanwhile i'm going to start looking at other brands. I could use some advice on that. If i jump ship, which brands should i look at. I don't want to give up on the kind of low light performance i get from the K5. Seems like that kind of limits me to Nikon and Sony. Or does Canon have something thats comparable to the K5?
I believe I saw refurbished Mark 2s on slickdeals awhile back for 1500.
04-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote

I'd go with a D800 and top end Nikkor glass.

But if your all set with Pentax, why care so much what Ricoh does and sell out? Unless you have to buy lots more Pentax gear it should not matter?

As far as only 4 boycotting?

Even if the rest don't speak up, not many Pentaxians are willing to spend $2000 for Pentax's 60-250. It is absurdly overpriced. Same with many of the other Pentax price raises. I'd gladly spend $2000 for Nikons legendary 14-24 zoom, but would not go over $1000 for the 60-250. They are just not comparable.

Last edited by slackercruster; 04-04-2012 at 05:28 PM.