Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
I'd go with a D800 and top end Nikkor glass.

But if your all set with Pentax, why care so much what Ricoh does and sell out? Unless you have to buy lots more Pentax gear it should not matter?

As far as only 4 boycotting?

Even if the rest don't speak up, not many Pentaxians are willing to spend $2000 for Pentax's 60-250. It is absurdly overpriced. Same with many of the other Pentax price raises. I'd gladly spend $2000 for Nikons legendary 14-24 zoom, but would not go over $1000 for the 60-250. They are just not comparable.
Of course a 14-24 and a 60-250 aren't comparable, but there are plenty of people willing to spend 1500 dollars on a 4x telephoto zoom that is sharp from wide open. I personally bought the 50-135 because its focal range worked better for me, but I did seriously consider the 60-250 and it wasn't the cost that deterred me from purchasing it.

I just really feel like there are a lot of folks jumping the gun right now, when prices are in flux. I don't believe at all that the price of the 60-250 will stay at 2000, nor do I think it will drop to 1300 dollars either. 1400 or 1500 is where it will end up and it will be OK.

04-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Other than RD, those things mean nothing to me.
The warranty and service support should be on a lens like the DA* 16-50/2.8 and the 60-250mm. A 1 year warranty is pretty slim on such lenses.
04-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Those who want to write about it or do a "Occupy Ned's House", I'm sure no one can stop you.

IMO, market forces will sort itself out. (demand/supply/competition).
Just wait for the dust to settle a little.
04-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I'd go with a D800 and top end Nikkor glass.

But if your all set with Pentax, why care so much what Ricoh does and sell out? Unless you have to buy lots more Pentax gear it should not matter?

As far as only 4 boycotting?

Even if the rest don't speak up, not many Pentaxians are willing to spend $2000 for Pentax's 60-250. It is absurdly overpriced. Same with many of the other Pentax price raises. I'd gladly spend $2000 for Nikons legendary 14-24 zoom, but would not go over $1000 for the 60-250. They are just not comparable.
$1000 is a bit low for the 60-250. $1400-1500 is right for it. It may be F4, but it is wider and longer than then 70-200s, as well as Weather Resistant, SDM, and as equal to the 70-200s wide open at all ranges. To me, the WR and SDM do carry a good premium on a lens.

04-04-2012, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was going to avoid this not so merry go round, but I did think of one thing to add that has always been obvious to me.

I have an ad that another board member was kind enough to give me that's for B&H Photo. Its a full page price list for all the lines and came from Popular Photography magazine, August 1985.

According to the inflation calculators, $1 in 1985 is now $2.

Some of the most expensive highlights from the Pentax portion of this ad (without going into the super zooms that look like someone glued a K mount to a tasco telescope):
LX camera body with A50mm 1.4 lens : $417
A15mm F3.5 with case: $313
A35mm F2.0 with case: $119
A50mm F1.2 with case: $159
A135mm F1.8 $299
A300mm F4.0 $325
A24-50mm F4.0 $164.90
A35-105 F3.5 $159.95

SO, if one were to double the dollar amount of any one of those lenses, one would get the amount they would cost in today's dollars (thought not what they would cost to produce today).

I haven't even considered buying a lens new from Pentax since the digital age started, the only brands selling lenses for what they actually cost with a sane profit margin added are the 3rd parties like Sigma and Tamron, which from what I have seen are about 2/3 to half the price of Pentax even for the good stuff, which isn't that far behind the best of Pentax. And that was before the recent Pentax price hike. They also have a far better and more complete lineup and that's taking into consideration that we only get the leftovers after Canon and Nikon are fed.

So in conclusion, and my point in general, you've been getting screwed for years, why are you complaining now?

I'll buy a K5 used when they hit the $400 range like I did with my K20D (maybe 5 years) and keep using my old A's and whatever other leftovers I find, that's what keeps me happy. Pentax hasn't gotten one cent from me since the purchase of a Super Program with SMC-A 50mm F1.4, that was $258 in 1985 dollars in case you were wondering.
04-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
$1000 is a bit low for the 60-250. $1400-1500 is right for it. It may be F4, but it is wider and longer than then 70-200s, as well as Weather Resistant, SDM, and as equal to the 70-200s wide open at all ranges. To me, the WR and SDM do carry a good premium on a lens.
Not so sure about that - we have a user here on the forum that uses the 60-250 and the high end sigma 70-200 OS FLD and he seems to have a different take. Also, MFT charts look better for the Sigma (could be debatable though) and the updated HSM is reported by many to be quite a bit faster than SDM (I have screw drive AF lenses that is twice as fast as SDM). So really the only thing that the 60-250 would have over the Sigma would be WR and extra focal on the wide and long ends.

So:

60~250 Against The Siggy OS FLD 70-210

DA*
- Extra Focal Long and Short End as opposed to the Siggy
- Weather Resistant as opposed to the Siggy
- 1 Year Warranty
- SRP $1,995.00

Sigma
- f/2.8 as opposed to f/4
- HSM as opposed to SDM
- Designed for FF
- 4 Year warranty
- SRP $2,470.00

Right now you can get the Sigma for $1,299 with the rebate, the DA* you can probably get for $1,500 - to me that DA* don't look that good at the moment...

EDIT: I highlighted the "4 Year Warranty" because for me this is a huge deal - this just shows that Sigma will not only provide pro grade quality glass at a reasonable price, they will also have my back for a period of 4 years.

Last edited by joe.penn; 04-04-2012 at 07:49 PM.
04-04-2012, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #52
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

May I suggest you read the following posted on the Motley Fool web site:
Electronics Companies' New Pricing Policy - AMZN, BBY, PC, SNE - Foolish Blogging Network

I quote below the first two paragraphs of the story so that people will only pursue the link if they are interested. In essence, the April 1 shift to universal pricing is not a trend limited to Pentax.

QuoteQuote:
It has become the norm for electronics retailer Best Buy Company (NYSE: BBY) and others to steeply discount some items like flat-screen TVs in order to generate sales. But that practice is under fire from electronics manufacturers like Samsung, LG, Sony Corporation ADR (NYSE: SNE) and Panasonic Corporation ADR (NYSE: PC).
These electronics companies have decided to introduce a new price-setting policy in the United States to try to protect their brands from heavy discounting by the likes of both Best Buy and their e-retailing competitors like Amazon.com (NASDAQ: AMZN). The new policy is called UPP or Universal Pricing Policy and was introduced on April 1. Under this policy, retailers will be warned they may not receive future supplies of electronics from these companies if they fail to stick with the fixed prices for electronic items set by the companies...
On an encouraging note, the author concludes:
QuoteQuote:
The move toward UPP pricing by Samsung, LG, Sony and Panasonic should level the playing field somewhat for Best Buy and others, at least temporarily. The pertinent question remains though as whether these electronics makers can enforce this policy over the long term or whether their pricing will be undercut by rivals not involved in the UPP plan.
The result of the UPP plan remains to be seen. But given the competitive nature of the business, it is unlikely that it will be effective for anything more than the very short term.

04-05-2012, 04:15 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Not so sure about that - we have a user here on the forum that uses the 60-250 and the high end sigma 70-200 OS FLD and he seems to have a different take. Also, MFT charts look better for the Sigma (could be debatable though) and the updated HSM is reported by many to be quite a bit faster than SDM (I have screw drive AF lenses that is twice as fast as SDM). So really the only thing that the 60-250 would have over the Sigma would be WR and extra focal on the wide and long ends.

So:

60~250 Against The Siggy OS FLD 70-210

DA*
- Extra Focal Long and Short End as opposed to the Siggy
- Weather Resistant as opposed to the Siggy
- 1 Year Warranty
- SRP $1,995.00

Sigma
- f/2.8 as opposed to f/4
- HSM as opposed to SDM
- Designed for FF
- 4 Year warranty
- SRP $2,470.00

Right now you can get the Sigma for $1,299 with the rebate, the DA* you can probably get for $1,500 - to me that DA* don't look that good at the moment...

EDIT: I highlighted the "4 Year Warranty" because for me this is a huge deal - this just shows that Sigma will not only provide pro grade quality glass at a reasonable price, they will also have my back for a period of 4 years.

I think a lot depends on what you want/need. Pentax views the 60-250 as replacing a 100-400 lens, functionally on a full frame camera, while the 50-135 is their answer to the 70-200 range on a full frame 35mm sensor. I think the 60-250 is a very nice, highly reviewed lens. It is one of the few Pentax lenses that Klaus on Photozone gives a highly recommended nod to, something that he does for very few Pentax lenses.

I would like to see Pentax update their lenses with faster lens motors and extend their warranties. That said, I have owned SDM lenses for over 3 years and have had no problems with them. They focus relatively quickly, depending on their focus throws and are quite quiet. All in all, I think 1500 dollars is reasonable for the 60-250. 1900 to 2000 dollars is way too much.
04-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

This is the situation in Australia in regards "Resale price maintenance". PRIC may find it difficult in Australia.

Resale price maintenance (supplier controlled prices)

Greetings
04-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Just a though and maybe I am being too kind but has anyone had a thought to the fact the rise in lens prices may have something to do with an increase lately in getting them made? Pentax being further down on the list of camera companies probably pays more for their lenses to be made in the first place, plus you have all the factories that were involved in flooding and such trying to recoup their losses. I'm not too surprised they would go up actually. Everything is going up lately...
04-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Once upon a time...Pentax's high end lenses used to be more expensive than similar lenses from Nikon or Canon. I always chalked it up to Canikon selling more of those lenses so they could afford to lower their margin of profit per lens.
04-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #57
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

This is the situation in Australia in regards "Resale price maintenance". PRIC may find it difficult in Australia.

Resale price maintenance (supplier controlled prices)

Greetings
So this is happening in the U.S.A, U.K. and Australia but not in France or Germany. Is this an English speaking country thing that is taking place?
04-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
So this is happening in the U.S.A, U.K. and Australia but not in France or Germany. Is this an English speaking country thing that is taking place?
Hi

Have a look at this it makes interesting reading:

BBC News | BUSINESS | Volkswagen slapped with record fine

VW Is Fined $111 Million in Antitrust Case - NYTimes.com

European Commission - Competition - Delivering for consumers - Competition cases
04-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #59
Site Supporter

Given how difficult it is to get premium Pentax lenses in the U.S.A., I doubt this is the reason Ricoh and/or dealers have increased prices in the U.S.A.