Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Let's Demand a Response from Pentax

This forum, while international, is pretty much the voice for Pentax consumers in the USA. We've written hundreds of complaints here about the new price hikes. Pentax/Ricoh is scaring a lot of us, and making many of us long for the Hoya days. I would like for Adam to write to Pentax USA and demand a response from them. So many people are contemplating jumping ship, and we've scared off a lot of new comers. I am pretty happy with my collection of lenses right now, but I want to know that my investment isn't going to be worthless in 5 years; as I have lost faith in their stewardship of the K-mount.

04-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe, but America doesn't carry as much weight in the world as it once did, especially in Pentaxia. The rest of the Pentax world seems to be saying to PentaxUSA, "Stop screwing us."

So they stopped.
04-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The rest of the Pentax world seems to be saying to PentaxUSA, "Stop screwing us."
As a member of the rest of the Pentax world, I'd rather shout to PentaxWorld "Stop screwing us!!"
Shitty service, short warranties & high prices compared to the USA.
04-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I demand cake!

Angel food cake with whipped cream and fresh strawberries. And coffee. It's sunny and warm today, we could eat out on the deck.

That will put us in a better mood to consider the Pentax situation.

04-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Maybe, but America doesn't carry as much weight in the world as it once did, especially in Pentaxia. The rest of the Pentax world seems to be saying to PentaxUSA, "Stop screwing us."

So they stopped.
That's not true at all. The DA 50-135 is $1061(£668.98) in the UK and about the same in Japan, it's about $900 in Canada. I'm not going to call that unreasonable, but $1599 sure is. It's possible that they will adjust prices in the upcoming weeks, but they are handling this whole situation poorly. New, and reasonable, pricing should have been communicated to the resellers at the time this plan went into action. Other countries also pay more because of tariffs. While I agree with taxation, the US as a whole hates taxes and loves free trade and cheap foreign goods. These price hikes aren't even going to Pentax, they're going to the resellers. The price hikes are simply to prevent them from devaluing the brand, or, possibly, as you said on another thread to curtail demand while they retool. Nikon and Canon with their 3rd party support are looking like bargains compared to Pentax. I feel like we have to pay the hipster tax to be part of the Pentax club now. I can now buy lenses cheaper from Canada and import them, which is the same situation other countries were complaining about.

Furthermore, if we're too small a market, and they don't give a damn about us, that will be telling also. Why should we support a company that doesn't respect our cash.

Last edited by kenafein; 04-04-2012 at 09:30 AM.
04-04-2012, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

i think they are doing like Canon and Nikon : same price everywhere in the world, in webstores and B&M stores. and they will do some rebate world wide at the same period to clear stock, etc ...

The good point will be : constant price, B&M stores will carry Pentax at same price than webstores (so more Pentax in shop i hope), better profit for Pentax, better stock management.

bad point : the US will have the european price.

And i guess, soon the MSRP will go down a bit to be on the level of europe and japan.
In the end, this will be profitable to all of us.

just wait a bit, to see what happened.

(edit : if some want leave the ship, go ahead ! it will do more stuff on the market place for our LBA )
04-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shoe's on the other foot? Will we - US citizens - have to look to importing lenses from other countries?

04-04-2012, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Demand a response? A company does what it does and the customers respond with their wallets. Simple as that.
04-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes luftuss! I would like for Adam to write to Pentax USA and demand cake from them.
04-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
This forum, while international, is pretty much the voice for Pentax consumers in the USA. We've written hundreds of complaints here about the new price hikes. Pentax/Ricoh is scaring a lot of us, and making many of us long for the Hoya days. I would like for Adam to write to Pentax USA and demand a response from them. So many people are contemplating jumping ship, and we've scared off a lot of new comers. I am pretty happy with my collection of lenses right now, but I want to know that my investment isn't going to be worthless in 5 years; as I have lost faith in their stewardship of the K-mount.
Hoya was before my time. Why did you like them better?
04-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Demand a response? A company does what it does and the customers respond with their wallets. Simple as that.
Not always... consumer movements have scored a few wins in the past. I think all Kenafein is requesting is an explanation.
04-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Yes luftuss! I would like for Adam to write to Pentax USA and demand cake from them.
Mmmmm, cake.
04-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Hoya was before my time. Why did you like them better?
People hated Hoya, and we were all hopeful for Ricoh. However, Hoya gave us the K-5 and a system, while not complete, gave a lot of value and performance for the enthusiast photographer. Ricoh gives us the same products and bad service but at a higher price.
04-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ricoh is a high-end camera manufacturer preferring niche, high-margin products.

Hoya made a lot of glass.

Consumers are more powerful when they write separately rather than have some lobbyist do their dirty work for them. Write to Ned Bunnell and tell him you are putting off Pentax purchases.

Don't saddle Adam with this.
04-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Ricoh is a high-end camera manufacturer preferring niche, high-margin products.

Hoya made a lot of glass.

Consumers are more powerful when they write separately rather than have some lobbyist do their dirty work for them. Write to Ned Bunnell and tell him you are putting off Pentax purchases.

Don't saddle Adam with this.
Don't worry about that, letter already sent. It would be great if we all wrote to them, but Adam has contacts. He's always being fed information that we don't get. I think his voice will hold some sway. He's kind of the, benevolent, dictator of US Pentaxians.

Contact Us - PENTAX Imaging USA