Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
04-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Their 300 and 500mm look great but way more than I want to pay.
The Sigma 300 is outperformed by the DA* 300 f/4 optically from f/4 on up. Didn't check the AF speed, of course more light is better.

The Sigma 500 is an outstanding lens.

04-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oklahomakid93 Quote
I'm very inclined to agree with you, luftfluss. Pentax may be "cooling the market demand" for the crop sensor lenses, as I understand new lenses made specifically for the K-01 are forthcoming.

And for the record; I have no intention to get rid of my K-5, but have every intention to purchase a full-frame. I'd love it to be a Pentax, but I'm prepared to buy another brand, too.

PS: Thanks for the like on my mini-rant regarding the "spoiled Americans" remark.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If the intent is to slow demand for lenses, especially lenses that are going to be replaced, while Pentax retrains assemblers and parts suppliers retool, then it means there is a ready supply of FA Limiteds available in Pentax inventory. Nothing more, nothing less. My supposition is, the most exorbitant price increases happened on the lenses that will be discontinued (generally DA* Zooms), which lenses will be replaced by D-FA versions with ring motors. DA Limiteds at MSRP are candidates for the same motors as DA's. All new lenses get better warranties, better QC (to match), perhaps better spec. glass - essentially the price stays where it is and the costs and quality go up to match. I do think you are right about the FF in mid-2013.

Frankly the only change I'm considering making is the ever-present sell everything, buy both sets of Limiteds and the newest body Plan, take pictures for five years, and then stop by to see what's new. The only net adds I would consider are XS lenses - I really like the K-01.

Yes, we sometimes do throw a temper tantrum when we don't get our way, don't we? This also is a signal that the world's Big Dog consumer economy isn't quite so big any more.
I think it's human nature to throw a tan - err, complain - when we don't get what we want, or something that we had is taken away from us. Heck, we (Americans) have seen other countries have finer cars, better technology, etc. but that is just the way it is. There are pros and cons no matter where you live, at the end of the day you hope that there are more pros than cons and that you don't have the misfortune in living in a place like Darfur.

I'll admit that I was speaking of an FF with tongue slightly in cheek, trying to stir the nest a bit. I do think FF is on the horizon, though.
04-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
There's at least a few ways in which French is superior to English.

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I checked out all three before purchasing... in my testing the Tamron was better optically, too.
I haven't used any of 'em, but the Tammy is on my list.
04-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX DG APO HSM is equal or better, but a slightly different focal range.
I'm really curious as to why you say that?

QuoteQuote:
I checked out all three before purchasing... in my testing the Tamron was better optically, too.
The issue with Tamron isn't the IQ, it's the build quality. read the forum reviews. Three people out of 33 had to return their copies, one more than once.

QuoteQuote:
Care to elaborate, what lenses.... more than one.
No, you might have to do your research. I've pretty much lost all interest in these types of comparisons. I took it on after someone made an equally bogus statement about Pentaxes not being worth the money just to prove them wrong. Since then the sale is off on the K-5, prices have been raised in the US, although they were always higher in Canada , so, I've done my duty to god and my country. My point is people who say Nikon systems are cheaper or better values are usually know nothings, and I'm sticking with it. But ifs it concerns you you have to do your own research.

Last edited by normhead; 04-06-2012 at 02:03 PM.
04-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have not been in a financial situation for a long time now to seriously consider buying any new lenses, and that was true even before the price hike. But there was definitely an 'eventually' list of lenses I wanted to round out my Pentax APS-C kit. I want to move to FF in the next couple years, but figured with my existing investment in Pentax gear I was better served in the short run building skills under this brand until I was either ready to move or Pentax brought a competitive FF to market themselves. An affordable stop-gap measure of sorts before inevitably departing for greener (but until now, far more expensive) FF pastures.

Now I'm revisiting my calculations because the price differential between some new APS-C Pentax lenses and FF CaNikon equivalents is not as wide as it once was. In the short run this means I'm stuck doing what a lot of you are already considering: holding (and enjoying) my Pentax gear as long as I can't afford to switch systems, but not adding to my Pentax kit in the interim. So to me it's a question of which comes first:

1) Pentax-Ricoh gets its ducks in a row and creates compelling reasons to stick with the brand (better service, warranties, QC, and um, full frame)
or
2) I have enough money to say bon voyage and sail to CaNikon (used D700, a few nice lenses? that would be lovely...)

If it ends up being #2, the follow-up question then becomes: what do I do with these lovely little Limited lenses I've collected? Do I sell them to make it financially easier to create a strong CaNikon toehold, or do I hold them for use in a second system? (K-02 with some Limiteds could be compelling). Is this just me being sentimental? I do love the glass.

Fortunately I will probably have quite a while to consider all this, but for the first time in two years of being part of this sometimes exasperatingly Pentax-critical community I've actually felt an urgent impetus to get out and get on with it.

To that end, saving my pennies ... for now.
04-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
Not everyone has completed the quest of attaining all of the legendary Pentax lenses
Gotta buy 'em all!
04-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #67
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I think it's human nature to throw a tan - err, complain - when we don't get what we want, or something that we had is taken away from us. Heck, we (Americans) have seen other countries have finer cars, better technology, etc. but that is just the way it is. There are pros and cons no matter where you live, at the end of the day you hope that there are more pros than cons and that you don't have the misfortune in living in a place like Darfur.

I'll admit that I was speaking of an FF with tongue slightly in cheek, trying to stir the nest a bit. I do think FF is on the horizon, though.

Yes indeed. Throwing a hissy fit is the American Way. Kidding, of course, and obviously completely overreacted on a previous thread. But working in music instrument retail, and remembering watching the dollar value drop, thus making all amps imported from Great Britain jump up to current Pentax DA* levels, greatly slowed the sale of Marshall amps (R.I.P. Jim Marshall). Add to the quality control issues of Marshall and Vox (prior to Korg moving amp production to China), customers gladly bought a hand-wired boutique amp for less money than an often problematic, over-priced amp with a printed circuit board. Vox got smart and made changes....Marshall???? Well, in the seven years I've been running the website (which includes heavy use of my K-7 and K-5) I rarely get an inquiry about a Marshall amp, and when we finally do move one out of here and get another, we're skeptical whether the dang thing will even work. Bottom line....Once consumer confidence is lost, it's really hard to fight your way back when other companies with more appealing products have taken them from you.

And thanks to America's size and demand for luxury products at lower prices, we are a bit spoiled with many consumer goods. However, rest assured, we are certain to be getting it up the pipe in some other fashion.

And with that being said, I also expect to see a FF from our friends at Ricoh/Pentax on its way.

Cheers!

04-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #68
Veteran Member

The issue with Tamron isn't the IQ, it's the build quality. read the forum reviews. Three people out of 33 had to return their copies, one more than once.

No, you might have to do your research. I've pretty much lost all interest in these types of comparisons. I took it on after someone made an equally bogus statement about Pentaxes not being worth the money just to prove them wrong. Since then the sale is off on the K-5, prices have been raised in the US, although they were always higher in Canada , so, I've done my duty to god and my country. My point is people who say Nikon systems are cheaper or better values are usually no nothings, and I'm sticking with it.But ifs it concerns you you have to do your own research.

If you talking about the Tamron 70-300. It is a great lens IQ. I bought some used for $75 and $100. Treat them as disposables if they get messed up or stolen. Great IQ for a cheap Chinese lens.
04-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
If you talking about the Tamron 70-300. It is a great lens IQ. I bought some used for $75 and $100. Treat them as disposables if they get messed up or stolen. Great IQ for a cheap Chinese lens.
I still use my Sigma 70-300, generally regarded as a very poor lens. I was talking about the 70 -200 F 2.8
04-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #70
Veteran Member

I still use my Sigma 70-300, generally regarded as a very poor lens. I was talking about the 70 -200 F 2.8

Hell no it is not a poor lens. (In the $125 price range)
04-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #71
Veteran Member

So far, Canada seems to have dodged the price-increase-bullet this time around. I think the Canadian prices reflect the true value of the 16-50 and 50-135 lenses and up until now, the price was under-valuing these lenses in the US. Having said that, the price increase in the states makes me wonder if something similar will happen up here in the near future.

I'm pretty lucky; I have all the lenses I need, a couple I want and a very short list of lenses to be bought, meaning I'm in a fortunate position whether the prices go up or not. But I have to be honest, I'd think twice about Pentax if I saw a 16-50 for $1500 if I was starting from scratch. And the fact that this lens can't cover 24x36 means it's an APS-C dead-end....not the upgrade path a lot of people might be looking for now.

Like I said before, I'm pretty lucky to have what I need and I'm not really wanting for anything (except maybe a DA70). That doesn't mean Pentax/Ricoh haven't shot themselves in the foot with their new DA* pricing.

It was tossed out there before that maybe Pentax is trying to curb demand with the possibility of a replacement coming out (sorry I can't remember who said that). I don't really buy that one because the earliest DA* is due in 2013 and it would only replace the 16-50 - not the 50-135 or 60-250. Unfortunately, I think this pricing is the new reality. It also makes me wonder whether future lenses will be priced out of the market or not.

Either way, I don't think this extreme of a price jump in the states was the right move and hope that Pentax/Ricoh correct it sooner rather than later. I think the current CDN prices are where the 50-135 & 16-50 should be - so long as Pentax doens't change these in the near future.
04-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #72
Pentaxian

My 2 cents ... or maybe saving more than 2 cents

Bonjour,

Despite being an American that has lived in France far too many years, I still comparative shop between the two countries ... where's is it the least expensive between the two, etc. ...

So, I took out out my trusty pencil and a sheet of paper ... crunched some numbers ... i.e., took the lowest French internet price on each available Pentax lens (chez Numipixel), multiply that by 0,8 to remove the French "VAT" tax and then calculate in dollars using a relatively high exchange rate ...and compare that converted non-sales taxed French price to its counterpart in the States ... still with me here?

RESULTS ... BINGO !!! The situation has reserved on many a lens! It's now cheaper for me to buy in France as opposed to doing the same in the States via my family there and having the item sent to me in France ... oh, lucky me!

Example? Well, the pick about any of biggest percentage price increased lens in the States and odds are it's now cheaper for me to purchase in France ... even with the 19,6% VAT sales tax included ... go figure.

Maybe this could become a cottage industry ... fly to France for your next vacation and buy some "cheap" Pentax lenses at the same time! Better yet, set up a tax free Pentax boutique in the international zone of Charles de Gaulle Airport ...

Allez et bon courage mes amis américains ... Salut, John le Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 04-06-2012 at 02:58 PM.
04-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX DG APO HSM is equal or better, but a slightly different focal range.

1) Reputation of 100-300, 2) Ownership and extensive personal use of 100-300 backs up reputation, 3) Photozone:

Pentax, then Sigma - you can't compare MTF numbers directly because they are tested on difference systems, but you can see how often each lens bumps over their respective 'excellent' line threshold. Both lenses look very good optically. I think the choice would usually probably come down to price, focal length range, and HSM vs. SDM.

04-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
I have not been in a financial situation for a long time now to seriously consider buying any new lenses, and that was true even before the price hike. But there was definitely an 'eventually' list of lenses I wanted to round out my Pentax APS-C kit. I want to move to FF in the next couple years, but figured with my existing investment in Pentax gear I was better served in the short run building skills under this brand until I was either ready to move or Pentax brought a competitive FF to market themselves. An affordable stop-gap measure of sorts before inevitably departing for greener (but until now, far more expensive) FF pastures.

Now I'm revisiting my calculations because the price differential between some new APS-C Pentax lenses and FF CaNikon equivalents is not as wide as it once was. In the short run this means I'm stuck doing what a lot of you are already considering: holding (and enjoying) my Pentax gear as long as I can't afford to switch systems, but not adding to my Pentax kit in the interim. So to me it's a question of which comes first:

1) Pentax-Ricoh gets its ducks in a row and creates compelling reasons to stick with the brand (better service, warranties, QC, and um, full frame)
or
2) I have enough money to say bon voyage and sail to CaNikon (used D700, a few nice lenses? that would be lovely...)

If it ends up being #2, the follow-up question then becomes: what do I do with these lovely little Limited lenses I've collected? Do I sell them to make it financially easier to create a strong CaNikon toehold, or do I hold them for use in a second system? (K-02 with some Limiteds could be compelling). Is this just me being sentimental? I do love the glass.

Fortunately I will probably have quite a while to consider all this, but for the first time in two years of being part of this sometimes exasperatingly Pentax-critical community I've actually felt an urgent impetus to get out and get on with it.

To that end, saving my pennies ... for now.
I didn't know you were one of the folks waiting for FF, v5.

I'l just quickly say this: speaking as a Nikon FF + Pentax APS-C shooter, you shouldn't feel like you're 'stuck' in some lesser-IQ jail, as some FF proponents like to characterize it. FF would simply let you use some of these lenses to their fullest potential, give you a few more low-light shooting options and maybe better body performance than you had before. But a Pentax aps-c body + some good Pentax glass is always going to bring brilliant images. I should know, I'm out shooting with my K20D + Limiteds as often if not more often than my D700 + lenses.

QuoteQuote:
Stay tuned. I've babied my D700 and it's in perfect condition, but it's resale value is lowish because I put 40,000 actuations on it in two years. Some Pentaxian might be able to get a steal sometime in the next couple months!

04-06-2012, 04:24 PM - 2 Likes   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I get really annoyed when people say they've priced out a system and Pentax isn't up to par, but they don't post any numbers. I find it amazing that so many bought into Pentax because it was cheap, and now want to go to other cheaper systems. I'm curious, what system gives you the IQ and functionality of the K-01 at anywhere near the price?
I am not sure why you get annoyed. I mean, you're as capable of looking up prices as anyone, right? And it's pretty darned obvious how much Pentax lens prices have shot up over the past five years. Why is it amazing that people would want to spend less money for good gear?

But since you asked so nicely, here's what I bought for under a grand. (Currency is Euro but dollars would be much the same.)

Olympus PEN E-PL2
Olympus PEN E-P2
Panasonic 14/2.5
Panasonic 20/1.7
Olympus G. Zuiko 40/1.4
VF-2 (that's an excellent EVF)
Olympus 14-42mm kit zoom
straps, cards, etc.

This is a complete shooting system with yer 28mm, normal and portrait focal lengths covered in primes. It weighs about one kilogram. I have IBIS, a built-in flash that acts as a remote trigger, better metering than Pentax, better exposure accuracy, better white balance, faster focusing (except the 20mm), more accurate focusing (on all the AF lenses), very good video (Panasonic models are better, but it's not my priority), and access to every lens for every system in existence -- which is fun! (K-mount adapter is in use, two more on their way.)

Just based on the K-5 being the highest rated APS-c sensor, and costing less than any of it's not as good performing competitors you'd think that would be a cost advantage. Apparently it's not enough.
Yep, it's not enough. Not if lenses cost too much. I last bought the Panasonic 14/2.5 for £95. It focuses completely silently, faster than I can think (which is pretty fast, cheap jokes to the contrary aside ). Please point me to a Pentax AF 28mm equivalent lens for that price. It can't be done.

I agree with many, just because the K-5 and K-01 are capable of providing the best IQ in their class, not everyone cares about IQ.
Your attempt to discredit anyone who disagrees that Pentax is the God of IQ is lame. I care about IQ more than most shooters. And I can tell the difference between truth and myths. I do tests and find out what's real for myself. There is no debating the raw IQ of the K-5 and K-01. I have never said one word against that fact. However...

That's not all there is to taking photographs, not by a long shot. For my purposes (which are, in fact, rather demanding) I need good IQ, good ergonomics, and a discreet setup. The Olympus PEN cameras are significantly smaller than the box they call the K-01. I can fit my shooting rig into a bag that no-one even sees when I enter a crowded venue. Then I can shoot without AF tracers, light noise from the camera LCD or flash. I can do this in extremely bad light and still get the shot. Using the EVF I can ignore the back screen completely and still change my settings, customise white balance etc., using the fast menu in the viewfinder.

Yep, MFT is a (slightly) smaller sensor. But, IQ not good enough? I tested extensively with my first MFT body. And now I have three MFT bodies. This is why:

Shot at ISO1600 in some of the worst light you have ever seen, completely monochrome blue. The place was like a cave. Someone who follows me on Flickr was there on the night, saw me shooting, saw the size of my camera, and said "you can't possibly be getting any keepers in here".

No, it's not the best photo in the entire world. But it will do just fine. No-one else there on the night got any better. I'll put money on it.

The gig prior to that one I was up against a couple SLR shooters including some dude with a giant Canon. But I was the one the artists came to for photos. Maybe that's because even large differences in IQ (MFT to FF) matter less than most would like to believe. Other factors matter more. (Take a guess at what they are.)

But if you want top of the line APS-c image quality you can shoot Pentax or Nikon D7000. What's the point of doing comparisons, when right off the top, your comparison is not capable of producing the same IQ?
IQ that is good enough is good enough. That's why people compromise on APS-C. Or compromise on full frame. Or compromise on digital medium format. We don't all need 8x10 technical camera quality. Obviously you have learned to compromise too. Learn a bit more and you might be able to shoot with the lowly MFT format.

Even if you don't want to go that route, even if it makes no sense for the type of photographer you are, it shouldn't be so difficult to understand why others might want to pay less for better gear. Pentax is releasing toy cameras and simultaneously pricing their glass out of comparison with much more effective camera systems. Call that a strategy?

Nonetheless, I don't feel the need to criticise people who find Pentax suitable to their purposes. I am sure there are still a dwindling cadre for whom Pentax is the perfect system. But ignorant criticism of alternatives is not something I wish to encourage.