Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
What I don't understand is why people turn into a dead-end street and then end up complaining that the street goes nowhere.

Before I got into Pentax, I knew the brand didn't have FF. I knew it wasn't going to have FF. I don't need FF and bought into Pentax for various other reasons.

But I just can't grasp why people buy into Pentax first, and then start to complain about them not developing a FF camera. Why did those people get into Pentax in the first place??
I think for a lot of people, myself included, we bought an APS-C as full frame options were way out of reach. I also believe many of us have assumed Pentax would be joining the ranks of companies offering a full frame, giving their customers a full line of sensor types to choose from, thus addressing various needs for various types of photographers.

Now it becomes apparent a true 35mm format is becoming more affordable (albeit ever so slowly) with benefits I don't have to list here, a lot of us would like to think the cameras we've invested in were done because we saw Pentax as a serious camera company and would like to have serious products to choose from, including offerings rivaling the Big 2. After all, the K-5 has shown what Pentax is capable of against cameras in the same class, and we would like to think there's no reason it can't be done with a full frame.

But, you are correct. I am guilty of fussing about the lack of lenses, yet I got into Pentax anyway. Of course, Pentax has marketed their K-Mount as accepting millions of old lenses, and when I got into photography, understanding various lens types, etc. was not atop my level of expertise. I went with Pentax based on positive professional reviews, as well as user reviews, and also because my Step-Dad used a Pentax.

Now that my skills have vastly improved and have realized how much I enjoy photography, I am awakening into a new realm of reality that sometimes leaves me wanting more. Whether that's a good reason or not, it's my reason nonetheless.

04-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #17
Inactive Account

My suggestion is I think you and all your FILMFrame buddies should just go away and stop wasting everyone's time with your foolish, misguided incessant whining.
04-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

What I don't understand is why people turn into a dead-end street and then end up complaining that the street goes nowhere.

Before I got into Pentax, I knew the brand didn't have FF. I knew it wasn't going to have FF. I don't need FF and bought into Pentax for various other reasons.

But I just can't grasp why people buy into Pentax first, and then start to complain about them not developing a FF camera. Why did those people get into Pentax in the first place??
Some people like me were sold on the benefits of Pentax when we just started out, regarding how much better it is than others (which was true for apsc) bodies, for its WR, and for its limiteds. But then as I grew in knowledge (and also the budget I was willing to spend on the hobby grew), I realised I wanted (not need) more than APSC.

Just think about every time some newbie asks which "entry-level" camera he should buy. Usually a Pentaxian would sell them the merits of a Pentax camera.

In my case I asked in the australian Whirlpool forums (a vey popular tech forums with an active photography section) and was recommended a k-r which eventually lead to a k-5. Further research into that leads to this site which further sells the merit of a the Pentax cameras, however FF are dismissed (such as the responses of this thread) and I believed those FF detractors at that time, they made perfect sense, APSC is obviously enough for a professional, APSC is way more than enough. However considering that its just a hobby and not even sure if I wanted to spend that much money on the hobby I went for the best bang per buck option which ended up being a Pentax camera. Hurray! I get used to the Pentax system, and actually enjoy taking photos and loving my Pentax. Then later on I decided hey I actually don't mind spending more money on this hobby because it's fun and I use it enough that I don't consider it a waste (unlike that Jaeger LeCoultre that only sits on the drawer), I decide I want a full frame. At this point, I meet the almighty dead-end. I know of a few people like me who decided to drop the bucket and switched. I decided to just start building another system which does have what I want while keeping my existing Pentax gear because I love Pentax, I love my k-5 I love my 16-50 and wouldn't like to part with them, its too bad Pentax can't provide me with something more I could love. I have to go somewhere else for that.
04-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #19
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
APS-C is quite capable for professional portraiture and even landscape work. And it has always been the case. Even when there was only the *ist D available. Now there's a camera with excellent dynamic range and 12-16 Mp of resolution. Few professional applications need more resolution. Those that do need more than what FF offers as well. And then you've got the 645D, Mamiya MF and Hasselblad MF offerings.

04-08-2012, 04:28 PM - 3 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i wonder if vespa forums have people constantly complaining about vespa only making little scooters and not making big motorcycles to compete with harley davidson and yamaha. :P
04-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Path Unkown

Speaking for myself, I bought into Pentax simply because the K100DS felt better in the hand than the D40 or XT, had better specs on paper (particularly SR,) and cost less.

I didn't think I'd ever be worried about FF, in fact at the time of my K100DS purchase I was barely even aware of the format.

As time went on, I did become aware of it. My interest and investment in the hobby expanded a lot during this time also, and I began to pine for the 'look' I'd get when I occasionally shot film with my FA 50 1.4 or M 28 f/2.8.

Pentax had no upgrade path to FF - a path I wasn't aware I'd even want to take when I started. That might answer your question, but I doubt it's everyone's story.

04-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #22

Original Poster
I cannot believe some of you are actually saying that APS-C is basically "just as good" as full frame for everything. I would like to see you people compare photos from a D4 to ones from a D7000, both great cameras, almost the same mgpix, but one is full frame.

The low light capabilities of a potential Pentax FF would be marvelous in situations such as weddings and sports (which I forgot to mention I do those too.) This is not just a desire, it is to help business, and equipment really helps. I obviously do not own a D3s, or I wouldn't be complaining. I love my K-5, but no matter what you say, a Pentax FF would be better. (Perhaps a K-3? Lol)

The way I see it: If The K-5 was so amazing (I personally believe so), how could you NOT want to see a Pentax FF? Would it not be equally as revolutionary? I believe that Pentax has the potential, creativity, and incentive to make a FF system. My problem lies within the bastards that create rumors about a FF and hopes are let down every year. I am ready for Pentax to act on the momentum of all of these rumors and actually surprise us: the many, many Pentaxians who have waited long enough for them to "fill the gap" in their market.

And for all of you who think I am just whining about Pentax FF, think again. I am just realizing the potential of a great company unlike you. I feel like they can be a bigger part of the camera market, and that they have a shot. I would feel better seeing more people out there with Pentax cameras, I still have not seen another in person. I feel that if Pentax made a FF camera, it wouldn't just attract people who already bought Pentax, but it would also attract those who have already switched over, or even some who are just getting in the business.

Please tell me that someone feels the same way!

Last edited by nick52; 04-08-2012 at 04:58 PM.
04-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nick52 Quote

Please tell me that someone feels the same way!
I suspect that one or two others feel the same; since there are dozens of other threads besides this one on the subject.
04-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #24
Pentaxian

We can read this thread, or we can just read over the other 15 FF threads. This one isn't off to much of a start.
04-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Nikon is top quality for their pro gear.

Pentax can approach or rival Nikon with certain lenses. But if you need big prints, Pentax's only option is 645 or D800 will win for big prints.

I don't need big prints. I'm not a pro. I only view on the 'puter. 6-12 mp Pentax and their top end glass and AA batts are good enuf for me.
04-08-2012, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

04-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You and thousands of others are waiting for a FF pentax- hopefully we'll see it early next year!
04-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
i wonder if vespa forums have people constantly complaining about vespa only making little scooters and not making big motorcycles to compete with harley davidson and yamaha. :P
+1. Maybe Pentax should branch-out into mopeds and pianos and sports bars.
04-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
pianos and sports bars.
If they make a white grand I'm running and jumpin' ship!
04-08-2012, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #30
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
+1. Maybe Pentax should branch-out into mopeds and pianos and sports bars.
Some people would complain that the Pentax chicken wings weren't hot enough for serious sports fans.