Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax Paradox

Hi everybody,

I have been thinking lately about something odd to say the least. Pentax is a company which releases some of the best no-nonsense APS-C DSLRs on the market today.

As everybody knows APS-C size sensors are at an advantage vs. FF sensors in disciplines requiring telephoto lenses, such as sports, wildlife, etc..

However ! Here comes the paradox, Pentax does not develop a lot into telephoto lenses and releases more and more wide angle lenses, a field where FF sensors excel because of depth of field and bokeh.

Why ? I think it is an interesting observation.

04-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #2

dont see majority of APS-C users shooting sports, wildlife, etc.. so i guess developing what sells isnt paradoxal
04-14-2012, 10:07 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 560mm is coming. It will be something like $48,000 MSRP. Can't wait.
04-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
ROFL

but indeed, i don't expect this 560 to be cheap.

04-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Add another zero or two ...

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Can't wait either ... take out a second mortgage? J Frog
04-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BNBPhoto Quote
Hi everybody,

I have been thinking lately about something odd to say the least. Pentax is a company which releases some of the best no-nonsense APS-C DSLRs on the market today.
I
As everybody knows APS-C size sensors are at an advantage vs. FF sensors in disciplines requiring telephoto lenses, such as sports, wildlife, etc..

However ! Here comes the paradox, Pentax does not develop a lot into telephoto lenses and releases more and more wide angle lenses, a field where FF sensors excel because of depth of field and bokeh.

Why ? I think it is an interesting observation.
I think its because Pentax is more into the smaller form factor DSLR with smaller pancakes, primes and a few smaller lenses. If you want a camera like Pentax, you are likely to be into street shooting, walkaround travel shooting, landscapes, you're probably not going to be an NFL shooter.

With Ricoh, they want a bigger share of the market. One strategy i think they'll take is to broaden Pentax's appeal, thus adding the DA-560 tele is one way to bring in more folks.

Now that i think about it, the newer type of mirrorless cameras (with larger sensors than PS) are competing to some degree in Pentax's marketing space. Pentax can still compete where they are at, but they need to broaden out a bit too. I'm still believe that Ricoh will make thoughtful decisions on where to take Pentax.
04-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Patajac Quote
dont see majority of APS-C users shooting sports, wildlife, etc.. so i guess developing what sells isnt paradoxal
I think he listed that as an advantage, not that that was what most are used for. Many of do use them for wildlife and macro. That is another area where they have a plus side.

Edit: As far as the FA* 600/4 that Pentax discontinued 2 years ago, I couldn't afford it or its Nikon/Canon counterpart.

04-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well, I think the biggest advantage of APS-C sensors is their price. Most people want an affordable camera for 'normal' purposes. I don't think that there's a big market for very expansive, long lenses (otherwise Pentax probably wouldn't have discontinued the FA* 600).
04-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
The purpose of my post was to point out a fact. I am a sports shooter and I love Pentax, What is disturbing is that for telephoto lenses I am obliged to look a third party manufacturers because Pentax's offering is very limited. With wide angle shooting FF sensors are at an obvious advantage. So why doesn't Pentax produce an FF camera ?
04-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The purpose of my post was to point out a fact. I am a sports shooter and I love Pentax, What is disturbing is that for telephoto lenses I am obliged to look a third party manufacturers because Pentax's offering is very limited. With wide angle shooting FF sensors are at an obvious advantage. So why doesn't Pentax produce an FF camera ?
Most of the wide angle lineup is not compatible with FF. in fact, Pentax only makes 1 wide angle lens for FF.

The advantage APS-C has over 135 FF is not the formatfaktor, it is the number of sensors per wafer in the manufacturing process.