Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Selling Guest Portraits At A Wedding...?

I shot a wedding recently and during the "down-time" whilst the guests were enjoying the food I got to thinking...

Shall I take portrait pics of the guests and print & sell them there and then? I have all the equipment - mini studio, event printer, photo mounts, etc.

My train of thought started because only 20 minutes previously several family groups had asked for portraits (which I duly took) and told them I'll put the pics on-line BUT we all know that internet sales after the fact don't even come close to sales generated on site.

I don't think the Happy Couple or the venue would mind, I'm just curious for general opinions.

04-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good concept. I suppose it would be up to the bride/groom and if they wanted their event to be "commercialized".

Maybe give them a share of the proceeds? Again, good concept as all the ingredients are there.

Family/friends together.
Everyone dressed nicely.
Memories of the day.

Let us know how it turns out.

04-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I put all the pictures online with Zenfolio in a password protected gallery. The bride and groom can give out the password to anyone they want. Typically they email this information out to family and friends and they can order directly from the site.
04-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
I put all the pictures online with Zenfolio in a password protected gallery. The bride and groom can give out the password to anyone they want. Typically they email this information out to family and friends and they can order directly from the site.
I think what Kellyboy was looking to do is maximize sales on location since on-line sales tend to be quite a bit lower than the "impulse buy" of being at an event having a great time.

I agree with Lauren, I would talk to the bridge/groom first because it is their day, after all. If they have no problem with it and taking the portraits doesn't detract from the primary focus of being the wedding photographer, I don't see why not! The photographer at my cousin-in-law's wedding had a photobooth set up in the corner where you could choose out hats, boas, masks, etc. and have a mini photoshoot during the reception. It was a blast!

Let us know how it turns out at your next event!

04-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by The Kellyboy Quote
I don't think the Happy Couple or the venue would mind, I'm just curious for general opinions. [/INDENT]
I've heard of several people trying to float this idea down here in the Oxfordshire area the last few years. None have made a go of it.
Most people don't want the distraction at their reception, or the P&S crowd don't want to part with any money since they already have the pic they want, "cuz they took it themselves".
The last wedding I was talked into doing, for one of the wife's friends, there were two Canikons that were cousins of the bride. They sprayed and prayed like crazy then put everything on FB. We LOAO at all the antics as the two continually tried to out do each other, "I got x-many shots on that card....I got more...I've got a better lens...I have more...I've got more x-many MP....I've got more." You get the idea...:-)
The only thing I was responsible for were a few portraits and the album as the wife's gift to the bride. Selling prints would have been a non-starter.
04-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have shot quite a few weddings where the favor is having a photobooth and getting pics from it. I have also done some set ups with the backdrop myself for a photobooth like experience. I collect their email address and issue a gift credit to them that is worth a 4x6. Usually they end up buying more or bigger pictures when they are on the site.

I do loose the immediate response, but I think that if I started selling stuff at weddings I would make my couples mad. I also believe that would ultimately lose the type of clientele that I am trying to attract. I am thinking that most high end couples would be really turned off by this.
06-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I doubt anyone would want a vendor to start selling product at their wedding. Would be like the DJ charging for song requests.

I think the best option is to offer it the same way photobooths are sold - bride/groom pay for the service and guests can use it for free. You can offer it as a package - include a certain number of prints, use it or lose it.

06-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
Banned

or the venue would mind

You might want to check on that one. I've done both weddings and receptions at places that; unfortunately would mind.

Think of Vegas as an example. Vegas is largely a union city. Or think outside of Vegas, that most reception facilities in places such as hotels are in fact also union shops.

So how does all of this add up? Because there are many, many hotels in Vegas that offer their facilities for weddings, and guess what... No outside photographer even permitted in the facility - no joke. It's a union shop. Reception is a bit different, but most hotels would in fact not allow one to sell their work on their property.
06-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've provided dj services for weddings since the 80s and know that the schedule is always shifting during the reception.
Even if you worked everything out so that a sell portrait operation was acceptable, you'd want a second unit or assistant to handle it.
The bride expects/deserves the photog to capture every moment and you wouldn't want to be caught flat footed in another room while the brides 90 year old gramps decides to take her out on the dance floor for a 30 second waltz and you missed the shot.
Besides, the photog has been working all day from the hair and makeup session till the final chicken dance so they should use the dinner break to take a rest.
If the idea to sell portraits is for extra cash consider a rate increase or offering a pic package with better margin. My 02 cents.
06-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I know for a fact that this is already done by some wedding photographers. I think it would be fine as long as all the extra equipment is completely out of sight so you don't appear to be setting up shop at the wedding.
08-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #11

you are much better off just offering a photobooth along with your packages or having it as an ad on... this way your costs are already figured out for the size of the wedding and you charge accordingly. This would be a greater cost to the couple, it'd be too hard and maybe even a bit cheesy to charge people for the prints...
08-16-2012, 02:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I attended a wedding that did this and guess what?
I got pissed... I mean, seriously... To me, it makes the couple look "Cheap"...

C'mon, have a discussion and come to an agreement for additional costs and give it out to the crowd.

It's a wedding, NOT a sales/boutique/car show..
08-16-2012, 03:01 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
I attended a wedding that did this and guess what?
I got pissed... I mean, seriously... To me, it makes the couple look "Cheap"...

C'mon, have a discussion and come to an agreement for additional costs and give it out to the crowd.

It's a wedding, NOT a sales/boutique/car show..
I was just testing the water with my question. I think that the B&G would have to pay up front and then all the pics are free.

Thanks for your input!
08-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi hi Kellyboy!

I'm just explaining my reasoning, please don't get offended!

But yea, i understand your intention and i think the best is to come up with a package plan for it. At least, from my point of view, it minimizes the chances of setting tongues "wagging" for the newlyweds, right?

New ideas, new market, but stripped down to the core, all we wish for, is for the newlyweds to have a fantastic start with minimal potential problems in their new journey, while we capture the best of that moment!

I was just testing the water with my question. I think that the B&G would have to pay up front and then all the pics are free.

Thanks for your input!
08-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi SyncGuy,

Don't worry, I wasn't offended - this isn't the kind of forum where people are rude to each other simply to make their opinion heard.

I haven't offered it yet to a B&G and I think it'll become an "optional extra" in the wedding package.

Thanks again,

Matthew.