Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #1

Beginner DSLR

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

hey guys, i'm new to the forum, and i wanted to see what kind of information i can get! I'm going overseas to europe this summer and really want a DSLR. i dont care much if it can shoot video, and all i really want are good quality pictures. ive been looking at a nikon d3000 because ive had so many recomendations for it. but i was wondering ifnthere were any other dslrs for under about 400 with a lense. it can be new, used, or refurbished! if anyone has any info on where i can buy one or if anyone is selling!

Thanks!

Ethan

04-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well...when i bought my Kx i considered the entry level offerings of Canon and Nikon and the Pentax was the one who offered the most and had the best build quality for the price BUT you ought to consider the dslr as a system more than just the body...what type of photography you want to do? what is the price point you'll agree to when it comes to lenses? do you want a weather sealed body, do you shoot a lot outdoors? will you print? is it only for computer and web usage? More important than the body will be the lenses used, and all related to the intended usage.

If it is for this summer, you can find a Kx for a great price, it's a capable, well built (for the price) litle camera...But then you might want to spend amore and get a K5, wich is a very capable camera with great sensor inside, weathersealed and can be found quite a bit cheaper than it's Nikon "counterpart" the d7000.
Before comiting to a system look at the lenses and their prices, Pentax's higher end glass is cheaper than nikon's, all is stabilized since it's in body stabilization, so compare the lenses and prices to decide...
04-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Not wanting to put you off at all but if all you are looking for are tourist pics with higher quality IQ than a P&S then I'd be looking at smaller kits such as the Pentax Q, Olympus or Sony or Nikon 1. Far easier to pack and carry around even with a few tiny lenses in tow.

If you really decide you want a DSLR then any of the entry cameras from the main DSLR players will do a good job. I happen to think that either the Kx or Kr will do a better job than the opposition fork the money, and have two major plusses in their favour, low light capability and shake reduction built into the camera (meaning whatever lens you put on the camera will have shake reduction - not many of Canon/Nikon's do unless you pay the big bucks).

Coeurdechene's advice is sound though .. consider the system when buying a DSLR and not just the camera (which will change over time - the lenses you may well keep).
04-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #4

Original Poster
Well, right now I've traveled quite a bit, and always took my Lumix TZ1. And it just doesn't make the cut for quality. I actually took my friends dslr, and I fell in love. But I have about 500 dollars left over, after paying for my airfare and putting money away. I found a nikon d3100 refurb with a 18-55 lense for 399 but I don't really care for something with video. If I wanted something to take video then I would buy a video camera. So is there anything cheaper with out video. Because I was thinking it may or may not be cheaper to get a dslr without video capability.

Thanks!

Ethan

04-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Ethan,

If you look here then there are a number of Kx cameras (some with kit lens) around your budget : pentax kx | eBay Add the 55-300 DAL to now have lenses to cover 18 - 300mm and all with built-in Shake Resistance. If the 55-300 DAL (not the DA which is more expensive) still costs too much then a Tamron 70-300 or Sigma 70-300 will give you excellent coverage (the Tamron will also cover real macro up to 1:2, it was my first long zoom lens and I still have some superb shots from it) for around US$100.

The Kx is clearly a better camera than the Nikon 3100 - the only important feature where the Nikon has an advantage is in low light capability (but the Kx is still excellent). In all the other important categories the Kx comes out on top (see the comparison below) and the real biggie is the in-camera shake reduction : Nikon D3100 vs Pentax K-x

Last edited by Frogfish; 04-29-2012 at 10:58 AM.
04-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #6

Original Poster
where do you suggest buying one online? ive been looking and cant find a refurb or new pentax