Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Now here's an idea: Pentax DSLR with iPhone dock

Credit to Joshua Goldman:

Will Apple ever make another camera? | Reviews - Cameras - CNET Reviews

Excerpt:

"... what I can see happening, with or without Apple's input, is a third-party manufacturer creating a whole line of cameras with an iPhone dock at the back instead of an LCD. That way, you could have your pick of lenses, processors, and sensors, while still having all the app access, iCloud and AirPlay support, and mobile broadband and Wi-Fi. Paired with an app to act as an interface for camera control, you could have the ultimate connected camera."

Interesting. If I could snap an iPhone on the back of the next K, and use filter apps, my phone's unlimited wireless data plan, etc PLUS having full manual DSRL controls and K mount lenses, I'd be a very happy camper.

If Pentax implemented such an idea, it would certainly create a LOT of publicity and draw many new users to the brand. Even capturing 1% of the 35,000,000 iPhones shipped each QUARTER, would mean nearly 1,500,000 additional annual sales!

05-07-2012, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #2
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
What about people without an Iphone?

Ain't gonna happen. And if it does, I'm outta here.
05-07-2012, 05:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Bad idea. Just put wifi or Bluetooth connectivity in the camera and have apps for both Apple and Android. Then can use smart phone or tablet.

Dave

Edie: Since I believe this is a bad idea I wouldn't be surprise to see it from Pentax. :-)

Last edited by DaveBlack; 05-07-2012 at 05:51 AM.
05-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Btw I'm not looking for a connected camera. I'm looking to connect with what I see through the viewfinder.

05-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
Unfortunately won't be happening with the sensor anytime soon.

An interchangeable sensor is a nice idea - but we won't be seeing it (a true interchangeable sensor) in a non medium format camera anytime soon.
05-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
What about people without an Iphone?

Ain't gonna happen. And if it does, I'm outta here.
I imagine they'll be out taking photos. Bring back film!

Seriously, why would you care if someone did this? I'd be delighted if someone would just create a Pentax tethering app for the iPhone (there's one for the Canon and Nikon cameras that support tethering). I wouldn't care if Android phones, Blackberries or even Windows phones could do the same, as long as it makes some aspects of photography easier.

You know the definition of a "wowser", don't you? It's someone who lives with the suspicion that, somewhere, someone is having a good time.
05-07-2012, 05:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You've got a USB 2.0 port which is a lot more useful than an iPod dock for starters. For next, what would you use it for? You've already got all the control surfaces you may need in a far more ergonomic form than a touchscreen.

What else? Facebook integration? Pur-lease. GPS? Actually that's not too bad (except that GPS eats batteries on my phone). Raw development in the field? Maybe.

05-07-2012, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

A Pentax camera with an Iphone-dock? That would suck tremendously. They're two opposites. A niche device that's focussed on quality, ergonomics and useability coupled to a design sheeplephone. It's the Frankencamera. Kill it with fire!
05-07-2012, 05:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mention the iPhone: it's the modern equivalent of "light blue touch-paper and retire".

I've got one - it's a great device, but it attracts derision from some quarters like Pentax gets from Nikon/Canon owners (as distinct from "photographers"). Some folks just have to have something to hate. Still, better a phone than other people, I guess.
05-07-2012, 06:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Unfortunately won't be happening with the sensor anytime soon.

An interchangeable sensor is a nice idea - but we won't be seeing it (a true interchangeable sensor) in a non medium format camera anytime soon.
Ricoh has a camera for some years now where you change the sensor.
05-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bluetooth and a well-designed camera app would be interesting. Sometimes it may be easier to control the camera parameters via the phone interface. This way it can be iOS or android - essentially a tethered control. Plus, it has the advantage of not touching the camera to change settings when you're wary of vibrations. What would be very nice is to output to a large device for manual focusing - use a big screen to judge the scene real-time.
05-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I'd be delighted if someone would just create a Pentax tethering app for the iPhone
I'd love a tethering app for every phone. Just to be clear - that's really not what this thread was (initially) saying, though.
05-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #13
D0n
Banned

bluetooth for external microphones and wireless flash control... (yes make p-ttl flash units that use bluetooth instead of flash pulses).
wi-fi for external tethering and live view to ANY phone/laptop/tablet... I mean tethering.. live veiw, full camera control, intervalometer, filter effects... also able to work with apple tv's ios airplay...
and release an open source sdk for developers please...
05-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
(yes make p-ttl flash units that use bluetooth instead of flash pulses).
+1
And make an Android and iOs app to control the flash from your phone maybe
05-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I'd love a tethering app for every phone. Just to be clear - that's really not what this thread was (initially) saying, though.
That's why I used the word "just".