Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2012, 04:55 AM   #1
Bad LBA case
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Drowning in gossips and rumors

Looking for news of the Pentax K30 I realized that the search engines actually have a problem separating new information (or rumors with some credibility) from old false rumors. Not long after the Pentax K20D was launched, rumors about a K30D started. Below is just a few samples.

Do you remember these? Some are really fun to read now with the perspective of 2012.
Somewhere in these threads someone even speculate on the K40D, which make some blogger complain "K40D! It is so 2012!".

September 2008:

K30: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

November 2008:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/41213-put-your-money-w...-bet-pool.html
Rumor from China: Pentax K30D with a 14mp APS-H sensor (and K300D w/CMOS) - 1001 Noisy Cameras
rumor of new cameras and lens for pentax: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
pentax
K30d: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

December 2008:
3 new Pentax DSLR in 2009 ! : Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Juza Nature Photography Forum • Leggi argomento - indiscrezioni novitÓ PENTAX... Fullframe e...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/44709-bullshit-rumors-italy.html

January 2009:
PENTAX DSLRs: Time flies whether you're having fun or not. PMA 2009 is on the horizon.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/47828-k30d-rumor.html (offering 1 USD per rumor...that could be costly by now!)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/46583-k300d-k30d-soon.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/46647-pentax-k30d-body-design.html

March 2009:
Whats Next for Pentax: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
K30D now?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

April 2009:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/58194-there-yet-anothe...era-works.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/56571-what-would-we-want-k30d.html

May 2009:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/61649-there-will-no-k30.html (and finally we can expose JCPentax for being wrong all the time)
So, the K30D = K7 minus the video?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

June 2009:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/62335-samsung-announce-july-7th.html (this is actually about a Samsung clone of a K30D which obviously never happened since "that" K30 never happened)

I'm sure I missed many!

With the K-7, K30D rumors decreased in number, but there continued to be people stating in threads here and there that "what I really want is a K30D because my hands are too large for the K-7/K-5".

The search engines also get deluded by a much older Pentax hardware. The SMC Pentax 30mm f2.8 lens is often shortly called "K30/2.8". Bing does worst and list the Pentax forum review of this lens as number two when you search for "Pentax K30 sample"

I presume that they will eventually get this sorted out. If nothing else the large number itself of coming forum and blog posts and reviews on the actual K30 camera will cause the old false rumors to sink further down on the search lists. But I think it is a fairly good example of the confusion disinformation (rumors) on the web can cause. Something even the marketing departments need to consider? Just consider the day Pentax actually release a full frame, and recall the enormous number of wishful full-frame threads we have caused in the past!

05-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep... all that matters right now is that JCPentax was wrong
05-18-2012, 05:20 AM   #3
Bad LBA case
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
But he was probably right...that they used K30D as work name while working on the K-7, and then abandoned the name. But it was taken up again, minus the D. Of course, now it looks like he was wrong
05-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Yep... all that matters right now is that JCPentax was wrong

05-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

But whatever happened to the Ky, K9, KC, KO, K101, Kw, K00, KP, Kg, Km, K0D, KiP? Will there be a K1LL? And where is my atomic helicopter?

Last edited by RioRico; 05-18-2012 at 09:50 AM.
05-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
But whatever happened to the Ky, K9, KC, KO, K101, Kw, K00, KP, Kg, Km, K0D, KiP? Will there be a K1LL? And where is my atomic helicopter?
I am guessing that on the k-y, Ned got on a plane to Tokyo with best interpreters and some show and tell props and explained the the corporate guys that he would never be able to go home again if they adopted that name.
05-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico:
But whatever happened to the Ky, K9, KC, KO, K101, Kw, K00, KP, Kg, Km, K0D, KiP?
I am guessing that on the k-y, Ned got on a plane to Tokyo with best interpreters and some show and tell props and explained the the corporate guys that he would never be able to go home again if they adopted that name.
For the K9, did he send DVDs of Rin-Tin-Tin movies?
05-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
For the K9, did he have to send DVDs of Rin-Tin-Tin movies?

He probably sent some Lassie movies as well to make sure. He probably through in some Snoop Doggy Dog videos just to make sure.

05-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Great detective work, Douglas! And all this also shows how important source criticism is. The net is full of stuff that has little to none to do with actual facts. Even when people do not twist the facts on purpose, they change from one person to the other. Broken telephone game, anyone?

And while I'm as eager to hear about the upcoming new products as anyone (more than average probably), I have realized that all this new product rumor mill is a very strange phenomenon and reflects the age of the net. Instead of using our current gear and perhaps comparing to other current gear, we as a collective obsess about the next oh-so-much-better model. Heck, we even have numerous websites concentrating on and naming themselves after - rumors! The strangest thing. I guess all this has to do with the concept of "new" which is a major player in today's consumerism. New and improved washing powder. New and faster car, new and less consuming car. New and improved TV sets. New, new, new...

Having said all that, I'm itching to hear more about the upcoming release!
05-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
I guess all this has to do with the concept of "new" which is a major player in today's consumerism. New and improved washing powder. New and faster car, new and less consuming car. New and improved TV sets. New, new, new...
All too often, "new and improved" means you get less for your money. I see this in staple goods, where the old box was 10oz / 250g and the new is 8oz / 200g, for a slightly higher price, natch. It works the other way in fields with fairly rapid technological advancement, as where Moore's Law operates.

But a new-and-improved strategy *depends* on constant tech advances, which don't always appear on schedule, and on efficient production and distribution, which can be interrupted by disasters.

Best example before the too-recent quake-tsunami-meltdown and flooding IMHO was the destruction of a Kyocera ceramics plant in the late 1980s. The plant made cases for microchips -- MOST of the world's superior chip-cases. Microelectronics prices had been falling via Moore's Law. Rebuilding the plant took a couple years and mucho dinero. Chip prices rose, and stayed high more than a year after production resumed. I estimate that the development of the Net|Web was delayed 3-5 years by the lack of affordable chips.

Of course, consumer demand is driven by wanting new-and-improved, but also by wanting Kewl Stuff. (Shall we say Apple?) Some|much of that desire is implanted psychologically by clever propaganda. Such propaganda may include... gossips and rumors! Teasers. Leaks. Disinfo. Vaporware.

Ah yes, vaporware. Back when mainframes ruled, if Amdahl or Toshiba or Digital was set to release a new super-duper machine, IBM would make a pre-emptive announcement that encouraged IT shops to hold-off on buying the competition. A negative teaser... that sometimes even resulted in a product! Could certain camera announcements use the same strategy?