Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How Yahoo Killed Flickr and Lost the Internet

Good Article...

05-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The way I see Flickr is that is is for photographers and general picture enthusiasts more than anyone else. It certainly could stand to be improved in many aspects, but it is still one of the better systems out there (Photobucket and other image hosts leave something to be desired).

Instagram seems like a big fad to me and I have no desire to use it. I see photos from there pop-up on my Facebook newsfeed and laugh to myself due to the ...artistic... filtering. Sorry, it doesn't help the present-ability of cellphone photos much. In a way it's a good introduction to the world of photography for people who never really thought much about getting into it.

Facebook is a completely different animal and I don't think Flickr was ever setup or had a chance to do something like them. It would have taken the focus away from photography and moved it to social anything.

Last edited by sjwaldron; 05-19-2012 at 08:59 PM.
05-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Interesting article and an object lesson in bean-counter management.
05-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The article misses the point. It's basically saying Flickr is a failure because people are not uploading mobile photos to it. Non-sense.

05-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I use Photobucket, but the censor some of my photos and delete them. Which are some good photo hosts that allow nudes?

Thanks
05-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
I use Photobucket, but the censor some of my photos and delete them. Which are some good photo hosts that allow nudes?

Thanks
Flickr does. As long as you mark your photos as innapropriate for some audiences, it's ok on their book.
05-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #7

Interesting article. I wouldn't say flickr is failing because people are not uploading their mobile photos. I would say that flickr is failing because they fail to provide new features and innovation to their product. IMO the stuff they do release seems buggy and half assed. Eventually I think they will get left behind in the dust.

I have been using a flickr pro account for years, but I doubt I'll renew my membership next year.

05-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't think Flickr will become popular again unless they provide an option to sell your photos for you or some service like that. I know they have that Getty thing but that is super high standard.