Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Photographing Paintings

I lost a life long friend two months ago.
He was an artist, musician, poet and teacher.
The responsibility of photographing his visual art has fallen half on me and I was curious if anyone here has undertaken such a task.
The medium is sometimes irregular.
Name:  f2503165.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  98.1 KB
Name:  f2052221.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  182.2 KB

The goals are to 1) document his visual art and 2) to reproduce as prints to be sold.

I want negatives (probably slides) in medium format (for the archive) as well as digital images (for the purpose of reproducing the paintings). My counterpart has, recently acquired the new Canon. I have a Mamiya 645, which he actually wanted us to use exclusively. I will insist that we use his 5d Mk3 also.
(No, I won't be using my K2 for this shoot! )

Thanks everyone.

05-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A daunting task, Gashog. I wish you well.
05-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I recommend better lighting, and a tilt/shift lens, if you want to faithfully reproduce his artwork since it seems to be mostly in a single plane. The cameras you use, are not important, the technique of capture is.
05-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll tell you what I had in mind:
We are probably shooting in a dingy basement.
Two shower curtains with a few thousand watts behind them and maybe a home made soft box that my friend uses.
No strobes.
I was going to use a mirror against the paintings to verify squareness to the work.
A tripod and remote.
A couple color cards.
Maybe a polarizing filter because of the reflections of the "facets" of the brush strokes of the oil paints. Also, there are some paintings with glitter like reflective material.
I was thinking of some very subtle HDR on some of them to make sure no detail is missed.
My Mamiya 70mm f2.8 at f11
Whatever lens my friend has.

05-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gashog Quote
The goals are to 1) document his visual art and 2) to reproduce as prints to be sold.

I want negatives (probably slides) in medium format (for the archive) as well as digital images (for the purpose of reproducing the paintings). My counterpart has, recently acquired the new Canon. I have a Mamiya 645, which he actually wanted us to use exclusively. I will insist that we use his 5d Mk3 also.
(No, I won't be using my K2 for this shoot! )

Thanks everyone.
Well, to achieve those two goals you need a better setup.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gashog Quote
I'll tell you what I had in mind:
We are probably shooting in a dingy basement.
Two shower curtains with a few thousand watts behind them and maybe a home made soft box that my friend uses.
No strobes.
I was going to use a mirror against the paintings to verify squareness to the work.
A tripod and remote.
A couple color cards.
Maybe a polarizing filter because of the reflections of the "facets" of the brush strokes of the oil paints. Also, there are some paintings with glitter like reflective material.
I was thinking of some very subtle HDR on some of them to make sure no detail is missed.
My Mamiya 70mm f2.8 at f11
Whatever lens my friend has.
It's sounds like you're not *really* serious about the first two goals. Fine art reproduction is an *art* and technique onto itself. I'd love to see your results when you are finished.
05-23-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Serious enough.
I think we can do as good a job as anyone with what we have, even in a basement. My friend shoots sponsored events for an energy drink company and has talent.
I have actually done this once before but for myself. I have a 30x40 on my wall of my favorite painting.

Last edited by Gashog; 05-23-2012 at 06:53 AM.