Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #1

How well do Pentax cameras hold their value (second hand)?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a Pentax camera, probably the K5. The brand is rather small (at least here in the Netherlands). I find myself in the situation where my old camera (Sony A200) will be partially funding my new one. So it's likely this will happen in the future too if I'd sell the body I'm buying soon.

For the purchase I want to take everything in consideration, so this is one of them... If the equipment is handled with care, how do the Pentax cameras hold their value second hand? Aren't people deterred by the fact it's a small brand, and thus having a lower second hand value (in the percentage of the original value) than similar cameras from the competition?

Thanks,
Paul

05-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your best bet would be to search the market place threads and eBay.
05-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Origineelreclamebord Quote
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a Pentax camera, probably the K5. The brand is rather small (at least here in the Netherlands). I find myself in the situation where my old camera (Sony A200) will be partially funding my new one. So it's likely this will happen in the future too if I'd sell the body I'm buying soon.

For the purchase I want to take everything in consideration, so this is one of them... If the equipment is handled with care, how do the Pentax cameras hold their value second hand? Aren't people deterred by the fact it's a small brand, and thus having a lower second hand value (in the percentage of the original value) than similar cameras from the competition?

Thanks,
Paul
Quite possible the opposite is true since there is less available used stock to choose from than with another brand. But since cameras are now really computers, their prices drop like old computers as the new models come out with more megapixels, improved algorithms, etc etc. So none of them really hold their value as we'd like. Lenses hold their value much more than bodies. If people thought Pentax was about to go under, that would be reason for concern, but with Ricoh the attitude/perception of the brand seems to be looking up. There are also seasonal and market variations, as well as economic considerations. The K10D, for instance, quite old now by modern standards, is worth more today than it was a year go. Why? Who knows...
05-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Quite possible the opposite is true since there is less available used stock to choose from than with another brand. But since cameras are now really computers, their prices drop like old computers as the new models come out with more megapixels, improved algorithms, etc etc. So none of them really hold their value as we'd like. Lenses hold their value much more than bodies. If people thought Pentax was about to go under, that would be reason for concern, but with Ricoh the attitude/perception of the brand seems to be looking up. There are also seasonal and market variations, as well as economic considerations. The K10D, for instance, quite old now by modern standards, is worth more today than it was a year go. Why? Who knows...
You're right about the value of the bodies in general, though I have to say that seeing Sony A200s (the camera I'll be replacing) go for 200 euros (+kit lens), whereas in stores 2 1/2-3 years back they cost 300 euros? That's not bad if you ask me!

You may also be right on the demand vs. availability of the K5 - it's low second hand (and it will remain to be, relatively) so if one shows up, bids can be relatively high if someone is really looking for that particular camera. That said, demand is low, and selling may take more time?

05-26-2012, 05:25 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A lot of the residual value in the eye of the original purchaser is determined by the original price paid. I bought a K20 at the end of its model run (16 months) for $650 (the K20 was introduced at $1200). Just recently, after three years of use, I was able to sell it for $400, which is not bad. The body was very well cared for and looked brand new, with less than 10K shots. Looking back, I would say that I think 3 years is a reasonable time-frame. Also, the K20 was a very solid body, had a great reputation. I would think that the K5 would fair in a similar way.

Also, if on the other hand you were an early adopter, with a much higher original cost, percentage wise - would would not fair as well.

06-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Best moving 35mm based systems are usually Canon, Nikon and Leica. There's good interest in Hasselblad and Mamiya. All of which are used the most at any level and Pentax is like a small corner kind of like Bronica was. I have bought and sold a lot of Canon and Nikon gear at stable rates, the Pentax stuff I own . . can't get anywhere close to 70% of the original value even if it has under 200 shots on it or if the lens has never been used. I personal don't see a good value on a sellers side, but a great way to steal gear if you're a buyer.
06-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
Banned

An attempt at answering the original posters question; it really also depends on the particula Pentax model.

I've seen some Pentax LX models that hold onto their value quite well. Even a LX's that was in original box and never used going for considerably more than it ever retailed for. Also saw a rather nice LX type of outfit (also never used); that included different finder, screens, and more hardware than could ever fit into one bag - all sold for over 10k

Also to compare some of the Sony and Pentax line in general...

Generally most Pentax hardware is made with a better build quality than most existing Sony lines. But there are exceptions... Some of the Sony models such as the V1 or the R1 have very impressive build quality.

Aren't people deterred by the fact it's a small brand
The truly rare cameras such as Hasselblad, Leica and others also do not sell well at all. As a matter of fact there are some Leica's that are real sales flops. But they are also still quite collectable. Case in point... The Leica MP's are quite impressive; also the future Leica Monochrom (without the E on the end) will also be quite collectable.

06-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Banned

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Paul
Like dadipentak also suggested, the easiest way is to go and see how many are offered for sale in your area and how long the listings stay around.

With fewer brand users, you should expect less interest and thus a larger price deterioration. But if that would happen, there is also a bright side: you should be able to get a K-5 used for a good price.
06-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

IMHO the best way to see the current reality is on eBay. Search for any camera model. Click on COMPLETED LISTINGS. See what people actually paid... and didn't pay, for all those overpriced luzers!