Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Frankly, I don't think most people buy Canons and Nikons because of absurd beliefs. I believe they do so (a man's got to believe in something) for a much more pedestrian reason: they're the brands they see in the shops, and the brands that salespeople push on them. Now, I don't want to start another argument that this can't be the case because there aren't any camera shops any more: I'm just saying that that's how most non-Pentax DSLR owners I know got their cameras.

On the other hand, you could say a lot of marketing is pretty absurd, but the brand owners clearly believe it works, so maybe there's something in this, after all...

06-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
As for the other aspect people feel they need to mention, take that to the other sub-forum for such things. I have that sub-forum blocked for a reason.
Sorry about that. I also have that forum blocked. I sometimes forget it's a hot topic.

06-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Frankly, I don't think most people buy Canons and Nikons because of absurd beliefs. I believe they do so (a man's got to believe in something) for a much more pedestrian reason: they're the brands they see in the shops, and the brands that salespeople push on them. Now, I don't want to start another argument that this can't be the case because there aren't any camera shops any more: I'm just saying that that's how most non-Pentax DSLR owners I know got their cameras.

On the other hand, you could say a lot of marketing is pretty absurd, but the brand owners clearly believe it works, so maybe there's something in this, after all...
Aside from marketing, Canon also makes a reasonably good product. For many there isn't much reason to look further.
06-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Religion is absent in my life.
But don't ignore your spirit

06-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #20
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
People also buy the big brands because they're available and hold a reputation. People won't worry much about ergonomics or cost if there's nothing else to compare it to. In many Australian outlets there just isn't any Pentax to try and compare with. (Definitely leave faith in God out of this discussion. Although related to herd influence/peer pressure, camera gear is different to spirituality. )
06-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I have acquaintances that shoot both Nikon and Canon, both FF and APS-c. We don't spend anytime at all talking about which system is better. We look at images. Period.
06-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #22

Original Poster
I would like to see a statistic on how many first time dSLR buyers go with Pentax. It must be a unique person to see past all the marketing and conformity. Also i would like to see a statistic on average IQ for users of different brands.

06-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

People who know cameras like my system when I hand it over. A 16 year old kid at a photoshoot remarked last week, my dad's camera is bigger. My reply That's nice. My back was saying stick to my nice light pentax lenses.
06-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Aside from marketing, Canon also makes a reasonably good product. For many there isn't much reason to look further.
There's no denying either of those points, but the initial purchase tends to arise from what people see. Pentax was most successful when it had high visibility in the marketplace, and the same went for other brands.

The other point is reputation: I don't believe (there's that word again) reputation counts for much in an initial purchase. What counts most is familiarity of the name, especially when committing to a comparatively large purchase (in general consumer terms) of a new type of device. Knowing a name has been around for a long time provides some comfort that what you're buying has some validity - I doubt if reputation in the sense of testimonial from professionals counts for much, because most consumers wouldn't know who they were.

The photographic market also seems to have dodged the association-marketing stream, so we have something to be thankful for. Brad Pitt may sell watches (what are the odds he knows anything much about what he's being paid to sell?) but the minute a celebrity appears in a camera advertisement we can be sure that glamour will have overtaken engineering in camera design.
06-07-2012, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

I am a first time DSLR owner that went with Pentax =)

QuoteOriginally posted by Patajac Quote
I would like to see a statistic on how many first time dSLR buyers go with Pentax. It must be a unique person to see past all the marketing and conformity. Also i would like to see a statistic on average IQ for users of different brands.
06-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
same here
06-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
If you can conform, I say - go for it! It makes your life easier!
Indeed. I guess that like you I took the wrong (was it really?) pill. Going with the flow makes life easier but it's so much duller.

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Being in the Pentax group is just the same as being in one of the other camps. You are still conforming to a group in some fashion.
Not really, just like many Canikon users aren't conforming with a group. They choose according to their needs that happen to be similar to others. I choose my first DSLR (a K10D) after looking at what was available at the time. The K10D was comparable to the Nikon D80 but less expensive and with SR. And look at pros (the ones that shoot photography for a living). Like mtansley said,

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
if I got to the point where I was shooting pro full time I would probably get a Canon or Nikon system just to make it simpler to rent new or replacement bodies and lenses if needed.
they need certain services and equipment availability to work so choosing a brand that provides that is natural. A photojournalist using a Pentax would have trouble replacing broken equipment during the job.

The video is about those who buy a camera (car, phone, clothes, etc) to be like their neighbors without thinking. And that represents a significant part of the market share.

A friend of mine has a Sony DSLR that she won and she believes that her photos would be better if she had a Caniikon just because she sees better photos from others that use Canikons. If everybody does one thing it must be the best thing to do. It is the same with religion, politics, economy, etc.

Regards,
Luis
06-07-2012, 02:54 AM   #28

same here
Me too. Damn, I'm feeling conformist. No, wait! My SLR was a Minolta. I feel better now.
06-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

3 yrs ago it came down to a used Sony A700, and a good price new K-x. I chose latter and never looked back.
06-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #30
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
Me too, but it's because I used a Pentax SLR for film and still have those K-mount lenses.