Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #1

why people buy canikon

Group Conformity to Absurd Beliefs - YouTube

06-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can assure you I am not one of those who follows. All my life I have paid the price for non-conformity. And I'm not talking about "hipster" conformity either.

The fact that I don't believe in God seems to be the biggest issue that I have been hammered over during the course of my life. I never understood/understand how people go along with such a concept.

My parents, my teachers - pretty much everyone growing up - could not understand how I couldn't see God.

When the world is so full of different Gods and religions it didn't make sense to me, so God/Religion has had no impact on me. Religion is absent in my life.

From such a basic thing that others around me share (and I don't), all of my other non-conformity grew out of it - and continues to affect me.
06-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you can conform, I say - go for it! It makes your life easier!
06-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 2 kids (age under 5,) so many of their little friends' parents wanna get a DSLR because they think MAGICALLY with that you can atomatic getting great pictures. So what happen most of them still use the Canikon underpar kit lenses, which their pics still burry, over/under exposed(auto dial and auto apeture.)

I believe I have read somewhere in U.S. 90% of DSLR buyers buy Canons. It is just their marketing and commericals are so great people just buy them w/o thinking otherwise. I actually would love to begin with Nikon for now, Pentax is great if you don't need fast AF(K-30 saves us!!), mirror-MORE Olympus are cheap in bodies, altought glasses are still expensive.

06-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Patajac Quote
I just want to point out the obvious: the video and the title of this thread is unrelated. The video and people's belief in God is not related either.

People are different, hence different cameras (brand, type, size, complexity, etc) suit different people. Some may be affected by peer pressure, others may not.
06-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doanh Quote
I just want to point out the obvious: the video and the title of this thread is unrelated. The video and people's belief in God is not related either.

People are different, hence different cameras (brand, type, size, complexity, etc) suit different people. Some may be affected by peer pressure, others may not.
Actually - the video and people's belief in God are related. People see a line that is longer/shorter, but because others say something that goes against plain observation, most people go along regardless of what they see.

If people sit down and really think about religion, they will see it doesn't hold up to reality. It's make believe.

God is one of those things that is fake and make believe. Just because there is a VAST majority of the planet who thinks there is a God, doesn't make it so.

I recognize I am in the minority on the God issue. If you believe in God, rock on! Your life is easier if you do, and living in harmony with the majority of the planet makes for a better life. Depending on where on the planet you are living, if you believe what most of the people believe in *that* part of the planet, you're doing good too.

God is still make believe no matter how you slice it.

Don't get mad at me for stating the obvious.
06-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I heard about an experiment with monkeys or chimps where if one went up a ladder, the rest were sprayed with water. The group then hassled that one. The experimenters kept rotating new monkeys in and out, and eventually the group had no member that had been sprayed with water but none of them went up the ladder.

06-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Conformity is a powerful thing. Like I said, I am *usually* hammered/hassled immediately and severerly when I think/speak differently. It has happened ALL my life. I would never wish it upon anyone. I don't blame people for going with the flow.

I guess when I was a baby, I got into the medicine cabinet and took the wrong pill.

06-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Actually - the video and people's belief in God are related. People see a line that is longer/shorter, but because others say something that goes against plain observation, most people go along regardless of what they see.

If people sit down and really think about religion, they will see it doesn't hold up to reality. It's make believe.

God is one of those things that is fake and make believe. Just because there is a VAST majority of the planet who thinks there is a God, doesn't make it so.

I recognize I am in the minority on the God issue. If you believe in God, rock on! Your life is easier if you do, and living in harmony with the majority of the planet makes for a better life. Depending on where on the planet you are living, if you believe what most of the people believe in *that* part of the planet, you're doing good too.

God is still make believe no matter how you slice it.

Don't get mad at me for stating the obvious.
It's not related at all. Canon has the advantage of being real. To be fair, I should say there is empirical evidence that Canon exists.

Last edited by kenafein; 06-06-2012 at 04:24 PM.
06-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Conformity is very powerful and penetrates pretty much every part of our life, from marketing to fashion, religion to politics. The majority of the population just rides along what everyone else is doing or using (iphone?). The few smart ones take advantage of this and make millions (including religion). The same effect is also affecting the discussions of this forum, and many others. In the end, one will learn most don't really care about the truths. People just believe what they want to believe, and will come up with ridiculous speeches trying to convince others.
06-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't really have any special beliefs - for or against.

What bugs me is that people upon learning that you don't believe suddenly say things like, "Oh, I'm so sorry that you don't believe, I used to be like you but then I found God."

I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me, I doubt ANYONE used to be like me and I don't think God has ever gotten lost.

However, I DO hope that my cats go to a nice place when they pass on and I hope that I can meet them again.

As for preferring Canon (or Nikon), if I got to the point where I was shooting pro full time I would probably get a Canon or Nikon system just to make it simpler to rent new or replacement bodies and lenses if needed.

No one rents Pentax here in Canada so I'd keep that for home & personal use and use the Canon or Nikon for pro use.

Thems my beliefs, folks. (spelling and grammar police, keep away)
06-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
No one rents Pentax here in Canada so I'd keep that for home & personal use and use the Canon or Nikon for pro use.
I bought my 21 ltd. from a guy in Ottawa facing exactly that issue. He kept his K-5 and 16-50, I think he just couldn't part with them, but was looking at Nikon for the rest of his equipment. The thing is where I live, no one rents anything. anyway. I have to be able to own my back ups... so it works the other way for me, thinking I might have to go Canon or Nikon some day scares the heck out of me. I shudder to think what it would cost to emulate what I have in Pentax gear in another system. It's not just what I shoot with. It's the overlapping lenses I keep, that are unique in themselves, but close enough to cover for each other incase of damage or failure.
06-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I almost wanted to buy a T2i that I saw locally on clearance, just so I could tell my doubting friends that "yes, I actually do have an 18 MP Canon, and I leave it at home because my 16 MP Pentax is superior." But then I realized that is a really stupid and expensive way to try to make a point, especially when Ron Howard and Ashton Kutcher are so much more convincing.
06-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I bought my 21 ltd. from a guy in Ottawa facing exactly that issue. He kept his K-5 and 16-50, I think he just couldn't part with them, but was looking at Nikon for the rest of his equipment. The thing is where I live, no one rents anything. anyway. I have to be able to own my back ups... so it works the other way for me, thinking I might have to go Canon or Nikon some day scares the heck out of me. I shudder to think what it would cost to emulate what I have in Pentax gear in another system. It's not just what I shoot with. It's the overlapping lenses I keep, that are unique in themselves, but close enough to cover for each other incase of damage or failure.
I'm lucky here in Ajax, if I do get to the pro enough stage where I need to rent, I can easily get to Vistek or Henrys with no problem. Or in a pinch, buy a cheap Canikon body or lens from my local Best Buy or Future shop if required.

No wonder that photographers don't change systems unless they really need to.

I'm thinking that I might keep the K-5 as a backup and plan on purchasing what Pentax comes up with later as a primary. I only do a bit of part-time real estate photography (360 degree tours and stills for realtors selling homes) but even that can be worrisome without a backup.

At least my Metz 58 AF-2 (Pentax mount) can do 'auto' and 'manual' mode with any body (even Sony with an adapter) so all I'd need to quickly get would be a new body and lens. I even have a couple of old Metz 'hammerhead' flashes to use as backup for the newer Metz.

Thank goodness I do know how to use manual on the camera and 'auto' on the flash units. In a real emergency I'd still be able to get decent enough photos.
06-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

That's a good video. Peer pressure is a prevalent thing.

Think for yourself and use logic to base decisions off of. Being in the Pentax group is just the same as being in one of the other camps. You are still conforming to a group in some fashion.

As for the other aspect people feel they need to mention, take that to the other sub-forum for such things. I have that sub-forum blocked for a reason.