Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2012, 09:54 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
2 megapixel Pentax Point and Shoot Does it Again

It's just refreshing whenever I get a decent sale for a low-tech shot.

Ten years ago I had a wonderful day fishing with my son which has resulted in several sales including full page ad spreads in glossy magazines and several hundred thousand press runs of specialty publications with one of these images on the cover. Well, that was ten years ago and not really a photo trip...just family fishing with a Pentax EI200 two megapixel point and shoot plus a handful of slides shot through the PZ1p.

State of Montana hired an exhibit company from AZ to assist in designing the interior of a massive public education/visitor center/nature experience facility in the capital city of Helena. And the exhibit company is going to take one of those tiny little 2 megapixel images and blow it up to 5 feet tall and 3.5 feet wide for a section of the exhibit. Note that this is being paid for a 10 year hang time and it was shot with a point and shoot digital and had no post processing to speak of! Just a 1600x1200 pixel shot cropped to remove the date stamp in the lower corner--No Kidding! I presume we are talking major Perfect Resize work which they simply called "interpolation."

Just goes to show that it's not the era or equipment but the ability (or good luck) to catch those peak moments that make images people like. The weather...the fish...the kid was still young and cute...the water...just one of those pics that I hate as a technical photo (cluttered, color cast, mid-day sun, background distraction etc.) It's not really even good enough to post here, but it's sold and soon to be paid for by a company that I have no established relationship with--a random sale (well, I did submit a group of images). They told me there were more than 7600 images submitted for the project and I got a 2 mega pixel shot selected...YEAH!

Score one for Pentax EI200!

(Note that I've upgraded a few times since then...currently shoot digital through a K-5 and a K-01)

06-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Congrats! Great things can indeed be accomplished with modest tools.
06-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi Ron; I know you were trying to sell your P67 system. Did you switch to digital completely?

Steve
06-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
You are going to make me 'fess up aren't you. Can I refuse to respond? Yes, it's true...I'm getting out of the 67 game and reinvesting in other equipment. I still have a nice little Hassy XPan II panorama film camera kit that shoots about the width of 67 but on 35mm film. Because of the large image circle it counts as medium format but is just a nice little rangefinder with stupendous lenses...like the Limiteds that I'm carrying most of the time. Those Hassy/Fuji lenses have pixie dust and everything.

06-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #5

so cool, great to hear. Congrats!