Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2012, 03:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Beautiful Britain

Magical landscapes from mist-covered hills to rocky wildernesses that prove our island really is a special place | Mail Online

06-20-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Note that most are taken in Scotland. The landscape of Britain isn't distinctly impressive, and it takes an excellent photographer to reveal the modest beauty it holds. But it is there, and it's amazing when you find it.

That said, Scotland is an amazing place, especially the Isle of Skye.
06-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Note that most are taken in Scotland. The landscape of Britain isn't distinctly impressive
JUST to nitpick, and do keep the source in mind, wikipedia says "Most of England, Scotland, and Wales are on the island of Great Britain"

---edit---
I guess that was sort of a derail. TO maintain topic relevance, those are some gorgeous photos. I've only been to southern England, and it did not look like that...
06-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

No I know. I was pointing out that most of the shots are of Scotland because the landscape of England itself is rather lacklustre unless you really look for it. Especially in the south :P

Scotland is beautiful, and English tourism companies like pointing out that Scotland is part of Great Britain, and proclaiming how lovely the Great British countryside is, when most of the best bits are in Scotland and Wales, not England. Same with most things really. Countryside. Beaches. Mountains. Wildlife. Whisky.

That said, once you see the beauty in the English country, it's very nice. Only been daan saath rarely, but the north has the peak district, the lake district, the moors, the dales, Northumbria and the Forest of Bowland to name but a few awesome places. Nothing to hold a candle to most of Scotland in terms of grandeur though.

06-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #5

I was pointing out that most of the shots are of Scotland because the landscape of England itself is rather lacklustre unless you really look for it. Especially in the south :P
Ah, my apologies for nitpicking. I hadn't had my coffee yet Also, very valid point about the English tourism. "What's theirs is really ours, really!"
06-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Beautiful...nothing else needs to be said.
Cheers, Pickles.
06-20-2012, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the landscape of England itself is rather lacklustre unless you really look for it. Especially in the south :P
Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.

Only been daan saath rarely
Really?

Last edited by Unsinkable II; 06-20-2012 at 05:59 PM.
06-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
LOL. I spend anywhere from a few weeks, to a month, pretty much every year in the UK.
The UK is by far one of the most photogenic places on Earth!
06-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Pfff. Tha's soft landscapes for southern jessies. Though Cheddar gorge is beautiful, as is Glastonbury tor. Three o' them aren't even landscapes, jus' buildings on flat land with fancy southern stuff round 'em.

Jesting aside though OBVIOUSLY there are some lovely places in the south, as there are anywhere in the world. But the majority of the English countryside is seemingly boring until you get to know it, consequently few people capture the true beauty of it. And as your shots show, they focus on the harsher coastlines.

And you can't argue that the scenery isn't better in the North in general. We may have fewer coastlines, but we have most of the national parkland :P Plus London doesn't eat a huge grey hole into the landscape.
06-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The landscape of Britain isn't distinctly impressive, and it takes an excellent photographer to reveal the modest beauty it holds. But it is there, and it's amazing when you find it.
What a load of pompous drivel.
06-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
The UK is by far one of the most photogenic places on Earth!

._.

But, but, but... The Alps? Tsavo reserve in Kenya? Edinburgh!?

Ah wait, yeah UK. I do agree there then. Scotland and Wales are awfully photogenic.
06-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
What a load of pompous drivel.
woah, ok then. Yeah, England's fantastic. Woo, go England.

I'll point out that I didn't mean I can capture the beauty of it. A quick look at any of my photos and you'll see I'm a failure of a landscape/nature photographer. But I know that when I go into the boring countryside there's something I feel and I want to photograph it, but I don't know what it is.

And it's far more beautiful than Windermere and the Grampians combined. It's not imposing or awe-inspiring, and it can't pull a crowd. It's more than just the joy of being outdoors though. It's like England an old, awkward and slightly grumpy landscape.

But yeah, I'm clearly being pompous. But dammit, I'm going to carry on being pompous! I like thinking in such a ridiculous arty-farty way.

Last edited by Mareket; 06-20-2012 at 07:08 PM.
06-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Too Funny!!!
Last year we woke up in a B&B in Greenhead, after hiking on Hadrian's Wall the day before.
As is usual, we quietly ate our breakfast. As is also usual, there were some Americans who did NOT eat quietly.
We, as did the other guests, finished up quickly to escape the "Blah-blah-America-this-or-that".

Outside, we were greeted by some locals who were part of the breakfast scene we just escaped from.
Not knowing where in the UK they were from (England/Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland) I did my best to avoid a confrontation.

When the locals asked us about how we were liking the beauty of the land, I punted and said "I love how beautiful the UK, is this time of year".
Without missing a beat one of the guys perked up and said "You are in fook'n ENGLAND".

I laughed because it could just as easily have been the same line in the other parts of the UK - and often is!!!!
When the local realized that I wasn't fazed and laughed with him, he then - again without missing a beat - said he loved the USA, except for one thing.

It was full of Americans!!! LOL

I LOVE THE UK, wherever I am!!!!
06-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I just find a fanatical love for England depressing. I can't stand patriotism. And what with the Jubilee, the Royal Wedding and the Olympics, it's been a very irritating year.

I just find England depressing in general I suppose, unless I'm out away from civilisation. The island is wonderful. The country less so. I guess a lot of people feel the same way about where they come from.

Last edited by Mareket; 06-20-2012 at 07:46 PM.
06-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Sorry for talking about myself so much, but here's a photo that sort of captures what I'm on about. It's me trying to find a way to photograph this boring flat landscape. How do you go about doing that? When you can't help but feel like you're in the most amazing place ever, but there's absolutely nothing interesting to photograph?

I find I'm most inspired by the most boring things.