Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wording in Menus In Other Brand Cameras

Does anyone else have any feelings one way or another about the terminology in the menus in some of the new DSLRS, canon & nikon that I know of. I know the idea is probably to make them more "user friendly" however, I can't help but be annoyed by having settings that say freeze motion, or blur background. I think there is a lot of value in sticking with the real terminology that has been used by the photographic industry for decades. I am only current up to the K-7 so I don't know if some of Pentax's newer cameras have gone this direction but my vote is for the real nomenclature.

06-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Does anyone else have any feelings one way or another about the terminology in the menus in some of the new DSLRS, canon & nikon that I know of. I know the idea is probably to make them more "user friendly" however, I can't help but be annoyed by having settings that say freeze motion, or blur background. I think there is a lot of value in sticking with the real terminology that has been used by the photographic industry for decades. I am only current up to the K-7 so I don't know if some of Pentax's newer cameras have gone this direction but my vote is for the real nomenclature.
Huh, I didn't know that Canikon did this. Is it part of the "noobie mode" that the cameras have? I would think that anyone looking to advance beyond the P&S mentality would learn the proper terminology soon enough.

I do think that "legacy speak" - that is, using terms like 'ISO' - could eventually be phased out.
06-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I do think that "legacy speak" - that is, using terms like 'ISO' - could eventually be phased out.
That one has already been changed once here in the U.S.. When I started it was ASA. I don't see it being phased out anytime soon. There are still to many of us film shooters still around.
06-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Ooh! Shiney! Me Want!
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
That one has already been changed once here in the U.S.. When I started it was ASA. I don't see it being phased out anytime soon. There are still to many of us film shooters still around.
International Standards Organization (ISO) set a new standard worldwide in the late 90's. There have ben 6 or 8 standards for film sensitivity over the last hundred years. The emergence of digital prompted the most recent change.

06-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Is it part of the "noobie mode" that the cameras have?
I've seen this on a friend's Nikon D3100. It was pretty silly. By the time you go through their handholding mode, a snail would have escaped being shot.

This kind of dumbing down for the American public by canikon is one reason I went with Pentax. I think it's silly to have scene modes on a DSLR, too, but they don't get in my way, so live and let live on that, I guess.
06-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What really gets me is when electronic device menus have things like "banks." I can handle a few "user" settings for customization, but multiple banks with a slew of parameters just confuses me.

Last edited by lammie200; 06-25-2012 at 04:44 PM.
06-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
One of the things I've found most difficult is to explain to my wife and my brother with their respective cameras, how the apeture, sensitivity, and shutter speed work together or against one another to obtain proper exposure, since the menus don't support the stuff I am telling them(with as correct of nomenclature as I know) I feel like I've wasted their time and mine cause they are going to pull their camera out next time and switch it to freeze motion or blur background.