Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
color clipping - am I looking at digital images "wrong"?

I've noticed that folks post images which feature a fair amount of color clipping, mostly with the reds, oranges and yellows. Of course, that's the segment of the color spectrum most difficult for digital cameras to properly handle, and thus requires a bit of processing to rein in those colors. It seems to me that many (most) people don't care about this, and in fact some horribly (IMO) clipped images receive praise for their color.

Is there now a different sense of aesthetic in play when judging digital images, and I'm late to the party?

06-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Of course, that's the segment of the color spectrum most difficult for digital cameras to properly handle, and thus requires a bit of processing to rein in those colors.
Actually, no amount of processing will help if the data is clipped in the first place. To avoid clipping, you have to use RAW for the added bits (so the camera doesn't clip out data) and often underexpose by 1/3, 1/2 stop, then correct afterwards on software.

Some lenses seem to transmit colors differently too. I find the rendering of the A 35-105mm very pleasant compared to FA/DA, warmer without blowing out on bright reds and yellows. The DA 18-55 produces very saturated images under bright light, but often blows out details.
06-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Actually, no amount of processing will help if the data is clipped in the first place. To avoid clipping, you have to use RAW for the added bits (so the camera doesn't clip out data) and often underexpose by 1/3, 1/2 stop, then correct afterwards on software.

Some lenses seem to transmit colors differently too. I find the rendering of the A 35-105mm very pleasant compared to FA/DA, warmer without blowing out on bright reds and yellows. The DA 18-55 produces very saturated images under bright light, but often blows out details.
First, thanks for the response!

Hmm, you're taking this in a different direction than what I was thinking. I'm not really talking about the nuts and bolts of processing to avoid clipping - most of us know how to do that - but that so many photos seem to have it, even though it could be avoided. It makes me wonder if many people don't look critically at their photos, or maybe the visual stimulation of a bright blob of red is too much to ignore!
06-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Luft
I suppose most of us on the forum use plain srgb space and 3 by 8 bit gpu cards, which can produce splendid images on a good monitor.
I would be interested to hear about anyone using the 30 bit GPUs and corresponding monitors.
Many of the shots posted here show outstanding skill using minimal or no processing and I particularly enjoy looking at such images that are posted with a link to say a 3000 by 2000 for a full screen view.

06-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@wombat2go - believe me, I'm definitely not attempting to be egalitarian - one look at my photos will prove that! I use plain ol' sRGB on a 24" Dell IPS monitor that also supports sRGB.

Also, I'm not trying to pick on PF members. I see this phenomenon on all the mainstream photo sites. I occasionally download the photos to check the histograms, and sure enough the clipping is present.
06-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I get what you're saying and haven't really paid attention to the issue except to notice the red clipping a lot which I guess you're right I haven't cared too much about... I'll try to pay more attention now that you've brought this up..

Just a thought but someone might want to post an example here of a photo that is excessively clipped then unclipped, for edumcational purposes.. I might give it a go but can't right now.
06-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Just a thought but someone might want to post an example here of a photo that is excessively clipped then unclipped, for edumcational purposes.
Yeah, this is a good idea.