Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Idea: Color OLED viewfinder overlay and hybrid viewfinder

I was thinking about Canon's implementation of the Intelligent Viewfinder, which uses a transmittive LCD to display AF points and other information. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E7D/ZPOLYNETLCD.JPG

This isn't the first time we've discussed hybrid viewfinders and possible implementation on DSLR cameras, but here's an idea for a more advanced information overlay: A full-color viewfinder overlay can be implemented by replacing the transmittive LCD and illumination LED in the Intelligent Viewfinder with a transparent OLED display as described in this article. I'm not sure about patents regarding this system, but it would be relatively simple to implement. If implemented correctly, the OLED display could show a Live View image with the mirror up, hence producing a hybrid viewfinder.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 07-09-2012 at 09:41 AM.
07-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've been pondering this since the K-01 came out. Something along these lines could be a way of getting focus peaking into a DSLR's viewfinder.
07-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't want to sound pessimisstic but I think that Pentax is way behind the curve on any type of EVF - almost intentionally so. AFAIK none of their cameras (P&S and Ricoh included) have ever utilized one. Also, reading between the lines when one of the execs said something about 100% VF's in subsequent dSLR models, I think that, at least in the short term, they aren't going anywhere with EVF's. Look at the latest: The K-01 that has no VF, and the K-30 that has a pentaprism that has already been utilized before many times over. I don't think that the K-5 replacement will deviate from their formula either. I think that the response for 100% VF's was a feature meant to placate those that want something more advanced.

Last edited by lammie200; 07-09-2012 at 02:25 PM.
09-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know this thread is old, but I really think this technology could revolutionize viewfinders on DSLR cameras, so I'd like to restart discussion of this topic. How difficult would it be to implement this system, and what potential technical issues would there be in such a hybrid viewfinder system? If Pentax gets there first with this system, it would make a world of difference for both us Pentaxians and for Pentax itself.

It would be really cool to see a color status overlay in a TTL SLR viewfinder and use the same finder for Live View...

--DragonLord