Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Clothes for wedding photography?

I just found out that I'll be shooting a friends wedding this fall, and wondered if anyone has recommendations of what to wear? I don't want to stand out, overdress, or underdress... Is there kind of an industry standard?

This wedding will be fairly formal—all the groomsmen will be in suits, ladies in long dresses, but it will be outdoors.

07-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #2

I am not a wedding photographer, I have never photographed a wedding. That said, one thing I've seen a friend do (she does weddings regularly) is wear all black. It wasn't fancy, just all black. Black long sleeved top, black pants. No jewelry to shine. Obviously they're still moving around and flashing bright lights, but in between flashes, you really don't notice them as much when they're in all black. If you've ever seen a live puppet show (such as avenue Q) where the actors are actually on stage manipulating larger puppets, it's the same concept.
07-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

All black is standard.
You can wear a jacket if you like but most photographers I see just wear long sleeve black shirt and black slacks.
This goes for male and female photogs.
(I was a wedding DJ for many years and worked in high scale and mid scale venues, there was really not much variation in photog attire.)
07-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes dark colors and make sure you're comfortable in your clothes, especially shoes and pants...

07-16-2012, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I photograph weddings part time in the summer/fall, usually 3-5 a year and about 15 or so total. I wear black or dark gray slacks, white shirt(especially if it's sunny and hot) and black tie most of the time. Whatever your combo is don't over do it, you want to blend in. In the past I have asked the couple what the main colors are for their wedding, if they aren't too crazy I have matched them with a shirt/tie combo....brides seem to pick up on this and appreciate it. I like to wear light fabrics, even in the fall you will probably work up a sweat Comfortable shoes obviously, maybe get some insoles. I would wear a watch, I think I get asked the time at least 50 times throughout a wedding day All I can think of for now, good luck!
07-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks you guys! I really appreciate all the feedback. My original thought was to wear all black, so I think I'll stick with that—
07-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The wedding will be outdoors. You will be working, taking lots of shots and moving around while carrying camera gear. Sweating (and smelling) like a marathon runner could be a worse offense than being under or over dressed. I would bring a change of clothes.
07-23-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The wedding will be outdoors. You will be working, taking lots of shots and moving around while carrying camera gear. Sweating (and smelling) like a marathon runner could be a worse offense than being under or over dressed. I would bring a change of clothes.