Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Micro 4/3 camera...buying one or own one?
Yes, I own a M4/3 2335.38%
No I don't own one... but I would like to buy one. 710.77%
No plans to buy one 3553.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Having owned both 7-14mm lens and 14mm lens. The zoom is much better. I hated the 14mm pana prime, the performance was abysmal. Bad corner sharpness, absolutely terrible CA and PF, even when stopped down. Wide open forget it. I'm just happy that the latest version of LR4 has PF correction so I was finally able to clean up my snow trip photos. Lots of white, lots of black and various edges, all of them covered in lots of PF... I've spent hours trying to clean up the mess, that's before LR4 came out. The pentax limited primes are light years ahead. Even tough I've sold DA15mm ltd, since it had very poor corners. IMO.

08-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
GRDIV is a tempting camera, saw some ricoh lens patents that would suggest the GRDV may be apsc or m4/3. that would be incredibly tempting (and a solid competitor for the X100)
GRDIV is awesome camera in a lot of ways, it's hard to understand until you handle one. It's sensor might not be as great as m4/3 etc. But that's not the point. It's such a fun camera to shoot, very quick to use and unlike any other cam I own, I carry it in my jeans pocket. I also like the output of the CCD sensor. This camera has by far the best interface, I'm considering of getting a GXR with 28mm A12 module. Same interface as GRD, but a 12mp APS-C sensor.
08-03-2012, 05:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
GRDIV is awesome camera in a lot of ways, it's hard to understand until you handle one. It's sensor might not be as great as m4/3 etc. But that's not the point. It's such a fun camera to shoot, very quick to use and unlike any other cam I own, I carry it in my jeans pocket. I also like the output of the CCD sensor. This camera has by far the best interface, I'm considering of getting a GXR with 28mm A12 module. Same interface as GRD, but a 12mp APS-C sensor.
the B/W output of the GRD series has always impressed me. I'd actually grab the IV but the rumour of the V coming soon has me holding off to see what it offers. I imagine their will be a big sensor upgrade because that part of the market has really heated up
I never grabbed one in the past because they weren't available in Canada, now they are (and the GXR option is tempting as well, though i would likely go m mountor)
08-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #19
Banned

Photos: Albums
I hated the 14mm pana prime, the performance was abysmal.
The pentax limited primes are light years ahead.
The 14mm is ok, the Limiteds are better, but why are you comparing a $170 plastic lens with metal lenses that cost at least twice as much?

08-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the B/W output of the GRD series has always impressed me. I'd actually grab the IV but the rumour of the V coming soon has me holding off to see what it offers. I imagine their will be a big sensor upgrade because that part of the market has really heated up
I never grabbed one in the past because they weren't available in Canada, now they are (and the GXR option is tempting as well, though i would likely go m mountor)
For me the biggest worry with upgraded sensor would be size increase. IV is bigger than III since the only difference is IS. The IV just slips into my pocket. I think with the sensor upgrade it would be too big for me. But if the sensor gets upgraded I would most likely get it too, but also keep IV.

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
The 14mm is ok, the Limiteds are better, but why are you comparing a $170 plastic lens with metal lenses that cost at least twice as much?
Well, since it's hailed by a lot of users as a great lens, when in fact it's not. I was sold on the hype and regret it, since the photos I've taken were overseas, it's not like I will be there again to reshoot them. So when someone mentioned that the 14mm lens is great, I want them to be aware that it's not. There are much better out there. In m4/3 that lens is 7-14mm zoom.
08-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #21
Banned

Well, since it's hailed by a lot of users as a great lens, when in fact it's not. I was sold on the hype and regret it, since the photos I've taken were overseas, it's not like I will be there again to reshoot them. So when someone mentioned that the 14mm lens is great, I want them to be aware that it's not. There are much better out there. In m4/3 that lens is 7-14mm zoom.
Yes, there seems to be some hype around this lens because of its small size. I don't think it is better than the kit lens, it just is a bit faster and focuses closer - those together with the small size are its only appeals.
12-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #22

Micro Four Thirds are Pretty Cool Cameras

I hate to admit but the OM-D E-M5, E-PL5, and E-PM2 are pretty awesome cameras. They embody what Pentax stood for back when they released cameras like the ME Super, and later the *ist 35mm cameras, even the original *ist D and K-x awesome cameras in a small package. I think the Q is ok, but the sensor is too small for such a "big" body and lens mount. The K-01 should have just included a mirror as "big" as it is, maybe some sort of Sony SLT like technology. It cant be Sony exclusive since Canon used semi-translucent technology back in the 1960's Pellix film SLR .

12-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #23
Forum Member

I am a new Pentax user coming from Olympus - I have owned an EP1 and EP2. I think it is an exceptional system. Some very good glass, and the technology continues to progress.

One thing to keep in mind is the image format is 4:3, which requires different framing, obviously, from a 3:2 native like pentax. For magazine/editorial work this is a distinct advantage with vertical spreads as 4:3 is closer to the crop used by publishers in print work.
01-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Mrs. ElJamoquio and I tried an EPL1 or EPL2 (don't remember) when they came out. I didn't like anything about it other than the size.

And... the size wasn't a big improvement. It still doesn't fit in my pants pocket, or even most of my jacket pockets.
01-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #25
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by godwinaustin Quote
One thing to keep in mind is the image format is 4:3, which requires different framing, obviously, from a 3:2 native like pentax. For magazine/editorial work this is a distinct advantage with vertical spreads as 4:3 is closer to the crop used by publishers in print work.
After using MFT for one year, I now find that many 3:2 frames look a bit weird to me. I particularly liked 4:3 ratio for car shots because I didn't have to cram the cars in a tight framing. I still crop some shots to 3:2, but just a few. If I had a choice, I would love to have a camera with a square sensor.
01-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm trying to get rid of mine after more than a year (GF1 then G3)

Pentax in the form of K5 and now K30 still represents the best balance of size/weight/handling/dof ctrl/features/file quality/lens options/lens build quality.
Not that m4/3 was bad, but for my use and by my rationalization, Pentax is better For Me.

In fact, I start to see Fuji (Xpro-1/XE-1) challenge m4/3 in the small for factor, good IQ, smallish fast lenses segment.
And Fuji has aps-c level advantage.

No right or wrong.
Just preferences.
02-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #27

I have a E-PL1 and a bunch of adapters for manual lenses. IQ is quite good but I still prefer the output from my K200D. I use the accessory viewfinder and find the Oly to be far easier to focus with manual lenses than with the Katzeye screen in my K200D, especially at night.
02-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #28

Started to think, need buy one...