Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
You don't get me, and i didn't express my self the best way possible.

It's about hiring seomone that will be the best for a task, and that will fit best for any of your request to get what you consider to be the best final result you wish for.

Of course you won't get Karl Lagarsfeld for sport photography (albeit the result could be fun), nor get David Burnett for some product shots of cupcakes.

They might be the best among the best in fashion and phoography, they probably won't fit to your expectations.

In fact, maybe not ! i stopped by a huge ad on a highway once. maybe 15m x 20m. The "pixel" of the picture were big. In fact it was the size of a big fist, so around 10cm each. Printed with CMYK gammut.
The biggest 1500x2000 pixel print i've ever seen
I think I understand but I am not saying that someone with a Pentax may not produce the best photo. What I am saying is that the best photo may not be what the employer is looking for. They may want someone that can work with their current team, submit in a format that their editors and graphics people can deal with without needing to reset their presets, etc. They may want someone that can, if they work out, be able to use their equipment. There are lots of reasons that an employer may value things other than simply the best portfolio. I've interviewed people with excellent academic credentials, outstanding publications in great journals, etc. but who had horrible bedside manner or who treated staff like sh*t/merd*. I hired "lesser qualified" applicants because they could work within the system well and would provide better care overall.

My attitude is that if you want to be hired, you need to find out what the employer wants - not what you think they should want.

08-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I think I understand but I am not saying that someone with a Pentax may not produce the best photo. What I am saying is that the best photo may not be what the employer is looking for. They may want someone that can work with their current team, submit in a format that their editors and graphics people can deal with without needing to reset their presets, etc. They may want someone that can, if they work out, be able to use their equipment. There are lots of reasons that an employer may value things other than simply the best portfolio. I've interviewed people with excellent academic credentials, outstanding publications in great journals, etc. but who had horrible bedside manner or who treated staff like sh*t/merd*. I hired "lesser qualified" applicants because they could work within the system well and would provide better care overall.

My attitude is that if you want to be hired, you need to find out what the employer wants - not what you think they should want.
Good post. With my last job interview (graphic design) they spent half the time discussing how I interacted with people and about my ability in meeting deadlines. There is certainly a lot more to getting hired than your skill.
08-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
Good post. With my last job interview (graphic design) they spent half the time discussing how I interacted with people and about my ability in meeting deadlines. There is certainly a lot more to getting hired than your skill.
Thank you.
08-02-2012, 04:47 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Worth a read:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/185224-good-article-paid-photogr...l-sensors.html

08-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote

I put appart the behavior point. I consider, whatever the job, the behavior should always be faultless. If not : fired !
So in your case, i would have fired them too ... and with some pleasure

For the rest, i put it in the "that will fit best for any of your request".

i agree about the setups workflow : you use all the time Nikon to don't have to change setting in order to always get the same skin tones, or Canon in order to have lens distorsion correction always on when processing.

I got well all that.

My points is that asking for a FF (and apprently don't know what it implied) and not a brand means that the person doing the interview is not in the perspective of workflow but just reputation of supposed advantage of a FF over any other kind of DSLR.

My whole point is about the fact that the interviewer probably don't know anything about photography and just need the final result (without even knowing what it should look like, which is in fact not a problem at all) . Fact is asking for FF show that the Canikon marketing around FF is working incredibely well about convincing people that FF is the ultimate photo tool to get.
08-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey I just met their head photographer and finshed a quick training
I think I am pretty much hired.
but not 100% sure yet
need to waiting for final judgement!!!
Even though it is an entry level job, it is important for me. first step, you know..
08-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
but not 100% sure yet
Even though it is an entry level job, it is important for me. first step, you know..
Congratulations.

08-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #53
Veteran Member

but not 100% sure yet
YEAH ! that's so cool ! i'm happy for you
08-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #54
Veteran Member

but not 100% sure yet
Sweet! Is this after you told them about the trove of Canikon equipment that you have hidden away in the closet?
08-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Great, I hope it works out. Glad you somehow managed to work around the initial screener.
08-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I think anyone wanting to go pro, and especially if they will work for others along the way, should switch to Nikon or Canon FF. As Peter Zack said earlier, this is the reality of the industry today. Why fight so hard against it and make life harder than it needs to be. Even if Pentax comes out with a FF DSLR my thoughts would not change on this.
08-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I think anyone wanting to go pro, and especially if they will work for others along the way, should switch to Nikon or Canon FF. As Peter Zack said earlier, this is the reality of the industry today. Why fight so hard against it and make life harder than it needs to be. Even if Pentax comes out with a FF DSLR my thoughts would not change on this.
Ditto! The professional support network provided by them alone is worth it's weight in gold...
08-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I wouldn't argue with this. I am not a "pro" by any means but shoot Canon FF and Pentax APS-C. Pentax rules for going light, hiking in the mountains, where you need WR, and just FUN photography in general. I picked up the 5DII refurbished for a great price and both cameras together cost me less than the D800. The 5DII is great for hauling around in the car for wide angle shots of sunsets, etc or where I see the need for an extra bit of resolution--plus there is a huge network and used market around Canon. Sometimes I think I'm a bit silly or just stupid for not just going for a Canon APS-C (I actually have an old 20D though that I started on) but the Pentax is just too fun to use (and just special in a way I can't describe) for most purposes. I have to invest in a few different lenses but it's worth it to me....

If I shot sports, this wouldn't be a good combo but I don't.
08-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
I hate to make this technical, but a shorter focal length on an APS-C at an equivalent field of view to a longer focal length on full frame will have a more distorted persepective. Perhaps that is the reason.
You are completely wrong. Focal length does not "distort perspective".
08-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Hey I just met their head photographer and finshed a quick training I think I am pretty much hired. but not 100% sure yet need to waiting for final judgement!!! Even though it is an entry level job, it is important for me. first step, you know..
Hopefully everything goes in your favor. I believe great things start from small beginnings and who knows, you might become head of photography department or something after a few years, once you get in