Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
OMG...First time hear you need to have full frame camera to get the job

update2: I met the head photographer and did training.

update: I did not get hired..maybe full frame camera is just an excuse..who knows..

ok..I just had an interview for a part time photographer. basically take interior photo
everything seems fine except I need to have a full frame camera........
ok I said my camera is very good. good enough for this job..
she said well she need to ask colleague and let me know later....
I will be more shocked if she tell me aps-c is fine..but it has to be either canon or nikon..That is the worest to hear......lol....

Last edited by liukaitc; 08-02-2012 at 09:17 PM.
07-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is actually becoming more and more prevalent and just one more reason why Pentax needs to step up their game. Can't imagine they want full frame for shallow depth of field though. You might see if they'll accept images from a rectilinear ultrawide like the Sigma 8-16, that will give the same angle and perspective as a full frame 12-24.
07-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well, just see this news at dpreview.com

"Panasonic has announced that Getty Images sports photographer Dean Mouhtaropoulos will be covering the London 2012 Olympic Games exclusively using its recently-announced Lumix DMC-G5."

you see professional even use m4/3.....

so by many people standard..this photographer must be sucks because he use m4/3 not full frame..
07-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
everything seems fine except I need to have a full frame camera
To weed out the phonies maybe? An amateur or beginner is more likely to own a walmart/sears sold DSLR than to be shooting with a D3x or something similar...

07-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
This is actually becoming more and more prevalent and just one more reason why Pentax needs to step up their game. Can't imagine they want full frame for shallow depth of field though. You might see if they'll accept images from a rectilinear ultrawide like the Sigma 8-16, that will give the same angle and perspective as a full frame 12-24.
they require a 16mm full frame equivalent lens
I have simga 10-20..so that is 15-30mm in full frame.
she says the lens is fine.
only problem is my camera. because that is not full frame..........
07-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
they require a 16mm full frame equivalent lens
I have simga 10-20..so that is 15-30mm in full frame.
she says the lens is fine.
only problem is my camera. because that is not full frame..........
Don't get too offended, just provide some proof that you're able to put out better quality photos than they need.
07-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I hate to make this technical, but a shorter focal length on an APS-C at an equivalent field of view to a longer focal length on full frame will have a more distorted persepective. Perhaps that is the reason.

07-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I wonder who is putting out these requirements...what is the final product going to be from the shots taken for the job? Unless it's going to be massive prints, seems unreasonable to demand a specific sensor size, but then again, they can hire who/whatever they want.
07-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Ask them if they will accept you using a camera currently in use for the magazines Vogue [French] and Harper's Bazaar. A member of this forum (username: benjikan, Benjamin Kanarek) uses the K-5 (and other Pentaxes) to shoot for these magazines. See benjikan's posts on this forum.
(e.g.,:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/192013-my-harper-s-bazaar-fa...s-weekend.html)

You had better not get a 645 or they'll tell you you're overqualified!
07-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The flipside could maybe be that they have invested in a ton of canon gear for their staff to use. Then theyd be perfectly entitled.
07-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Benjamin Kanerak said most if not all of his shots were taken with his Pentax K-5... He shoots for Harper's Bazaar and Vogue, I don't see why you can not use your APS-C to shoot professionally. That really sucks, hope all works out for you =(
07-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
I wonder who is putting out these requirements...what is the final product going to be from the shots taken for the job? Unless it's going to be massive prints, seems unreasonable to demand a specific sensor size, but then again, they can hire who/whatever they want.
well, nikon d700 is only 12mp....but that is full frame..
07-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I mean it is ok. If I am not hired I will just go looking for other jobs.
just that now I know that there are people out there that look at what camera you use when hiring photographer.
lesson learned....it is best to invest in full frame and either canon or nikon.
07-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

lesson learned...if one want to take photography seriously..it is best to invest in full frame and either canon or nikon.
Don't say that bro, you just have to prove them wrong that you can get the job done with APS-C. I would give them a portfolio based on what subject they want to see. If Benjikan can do it, there's no reason you can't either. http://benjaminkanarek.com/2012/04/26/benjamin-kanarek-photographs-super-mod...anol-may-2012/ Keep your head up bro, don't let anybody tell you otherwise. You shoot Pentax for a reason!
07-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #15
JFN
Veteran Member

Knowing nothing about distortion, but it feels kind of logical that a FF would be more suitable for extreme wide angle for high quality results, no?