Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Don't say that bro, you just have to prove them wrong that you can get the job done with APS-C.
as my grand Pa' often says : "back in the days, no one matter about the camera as long as the job's done, and you get paid".

So tell them that : i will use my current gear to do some pictures and show you what i can do with it. If after that, that's not enought ... well, go find other job, as you said.

Rent a 12-24 or a 10-20 and work with it.

07-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
well, nikon d700 is only 12mp....but that is full frame..
I was referring to the 24-36 MP models out there primarily, but I see what you mean.
07-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I mean it is ok. If I am not hired I will just go looking for other jobs.
just that now I know that there are people out there that look at what camera you use when hiring photographer.
lesson learned....it is best to invest in full frame and either canon or nikon.
There are people like that all over the place. The so called 'photographers' are using the FF gear because some customers (don't know a lot but only hear FF means pro) wants to hire them because they use Canikon FF gear. First, I would ask if they would provide you with the FF gear to shoot with, if they do, no problem. But if they ask you to get the FF gear before they can hire you. I would walk away immediately.

On the other side, I once have a friend whose daughter was getting married, so he went out to get a pro-photog and pay substantially because he wanted the photog who uses FF only. I was invited to the same wedding, so as a friend, I also took a significant number of photos during the ceremony. I had my photos shown to his friends and others and they were all pleased with the result I got; and they couldn't wait to see what he got from the hired photog (they expect even better results from him). Six months later, big disappointment, the photos came in, most of them could not even match mine; with many blurry and harsh flash photos. I didn't want to share my photos with him anymore since he wanted to get my originals and wanted to know how I took those nice pictures.

Last edited by aleonx3; 07-27-2012 at 03:04 PM.
07-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is a freelance photographer job. I have to have all the gear needed.
and it is a entry level job. means the pay is not much.

07-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

It is a freelance photographer job. I have to have all the gear needed.
and it is a entry level job. means the pay is not much.
The best approach I find is to do some voluntary work for communities to get exposure and then participate in photo clubs.
07-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps such employers are not worth to work for anyway,
Kirk Tuck has this to say on this
The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck: The ever changing perspective of the marketplace.
07-31-2012, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #22

hiring manager to personal friend the night before: "I need to hire a photographer, what do you recommend I look for?"
friend: "Who ever it is, make sure they use full-frame, and have at least 20mp."
hiring m: "huh?... Why is that?
friend: "That's the best there is... oh, and make sure it is Nikon or Canon, that way you will get the best pictures."
hiring m: "oh.. ok, thanks."

07-31-2012, 01:05 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
I wonder who is putting out these requirements
Canikon dark mages magicking corporate heads' minds into thinking only their gear can do the job...

but seriously, the decision-makers sometimes have no idea about this at all. They just sign the documents. Sometimes, it's the mid-management people who mess around with it, then just convince the higher-ups that "this is what we really need."

...well at least, that's how things go in my country, sometimes. Corrupt mid-management folks cut deals that get them extra "commission" from dealers... and all the bosses do is "sign" anyway.

It is a freelance photographer job. I have to have all the gear needed. and it is a entry level job. means the pay is not much.
honestly man, with the gear you have, you've covered all necessary focal lengths for a lot of jobs except perhaps specialized long-range wildlife photography. Don't worry I think there are more employers out there who will be willing to hire you based on talent not choice of camera
07-31-2012, 01:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
I hate to make this technical, but a shorter focal length on an APS-C at an equivalent field of view to a longer focal length on full frame will have a more distorted persepective. Perhaps that is the reason.
that is simply wrong
07-31-2012, 01:24 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JFN Quote
Knowing nothing about distortion, but it feels kind of logical that a FF would be more suitable for extreme wide angle for high quality results, no?
can you explain that logic?
07-31-2012, 03:51 AM   #26

what if you were using a compact camera?

everybody knows that a good photopgraph would do a better job with theses that a beginner with a FF.

Would you still feel offended ?

Once you're a know photograph, you can photograph with everything you want, even a compact.
But since you're unknown, you need to make some points and equipment you use is one amongst others.
07-31-2012, 05:47 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Thank a lot pinholecam, your link is really awesome.

big punch in the face to remind us to go out and shot more instead of measurebating on our next DSLR ^_^
07-31-2012, 06:02 AM   #28
Veteran Member

liukaitc: Sucks that you didn't get the job, but I would just chalk it up to the person making the FF rule being an idiot. They're everywhere. If you do quality work, and you shove it in their face and they still turn you down because of the FF rule, they're an idiot, plain & simple.

Anyone who knows anything about photography knows the only thing that matters is the end result.

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 07-31-2012 at 06:15 AM.
07-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks..guys..for comforting me...
but I think about it later. frankly I am just an ordinary photographer, nothing outstanding yet.
so from their perspective, if all the candidates are equal in skill, then the one who has better gear should be the one get hired. right?
if I am really outstanding, maybe I can overcome the gear inferior issue.

Last edited by liukaitc; 07-31-2012 at 11:21 AM.
07-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #30
Veteran Member

so from their perspective, if all the candidates are equal in skill, then the one who has better gear should be the one get hired. right?
if I am really outstanding, maybe I can overcome the gear inferior issue.
Actually being a purchaser for a day job i'd say from their perspective if all candidates are equal then it should be the cheapest who get's the job, not the guy who has to charge more to pay for the more expensive kit
If you have things in your portfolio that are the type of image they are looking for and they like the work there is no reason for FF unless it is for very large scale prints like billboards and bus shelter ads. in those cases a D700 shouldn't qualify either.
Reality is they probably are using the FF thing to weed out fauxtographers. Funnily enough many of them have 5d2
I've had it come up once and offered to shoot the job on medium format and scan at 80mp is that was what the job needed - the snark went right over their heads