Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One reason why Canon is considered "Professional"

See inside Canon's gear room at the Olympics - Digital SLR Cameras

Hard to compete with that.

08-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

And that's just the support room with loaners for any malfunctions a Canon shooter might encounter!
08-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
impressive that might explain why Canon delayed a bit some shipping at the beginning : to build this stock in case of
08-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Alright, who stole my keys to the fallout shelter?

08-01-2012, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Also, if those are 1Dx's on the shelf, at a conservative estimate of 200 cameras that is a retail value of just over $1.3 million for the bodies alone!

Who would trust that much valuable weight to mdf shelving?
08-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Also, if those are 1Dx's on the shelf, at a conservative estimate of 200 cameras that is a retail value of just over $1.3 million for the bodies alone!

ROFLMAO - you're right!
08-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

So how does this all work, exactly? Who gets to use this equipment? How does a professional know that this will be set up? How "low" does an event have to go before Canon does NOT set up such an event - Super Bowl, Presidential Inauguration, Little League World Series, where do they draw the line? Who funds this kind of an operation? Is it just a separate rental business? Does Nikon have one? What does it look like? Sony? Curious.

08-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
So how does this all work, exactly? Who gets to use this equipment? How does a professional know that this will be set up? How "low" does an event have to go before Canon does NOT set up such an event - Super Bowl, Presidential Inauguration, Little League World Series, where do they draw the line? Who funds this kind of an operation? Is it just a separate rental business? Does Nikon have one? What does it look like? Sony? Curious.
The people that pay $6,800 for those bodies and $x,xxx to $xx,xxx for the lenses are the ones paying for the shelf bling! See that is the benefit of Pentax users, no ridiculous sponsoring of pros part of which is stocking that room, saving us on the final $.
08-01-2012, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The people that pay $6,800 for those bodies and $x,xxx to $xx,xxx for the lenses are the ones paying for the shelf bling! See that is the benefit of Pentax users, no ridiculous sponsoring of pros part of which is stocking that room, saving us on the final $.
*cough*

Also means we don't get immediate and friendly support if our gear dies at such a big event.

*cough*
08-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Pentax has a professional level of support - for the 645D - that includes fast turn around and loaners as I understand it.

You have to register for that level of support, but no photog using Canon who is credentialed at the Olympics will be left out. They don't want ANYONE claiming that their Canon gear let them down at a crucial moment at such a high profile event. It's like Scott Kelby says in one of his books - real pro sports photographers don't ask how much something is, they just get 2 of whatever they need.
08-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Also means we don't get immediate and friendly support if our gear dies at such a big event.
And It also means that when people look around to see what brands the pros use at big events, they are much less likely to see the Pentax logo.
08-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #12

Correct me if I'm wrong-if profesional does not have its own support can he be called professionals...

These shelves yet another confirmation of Canon knows how to extort money, every owner of the Canon on the planet paid for this collection
I am pleased that the Pentax's marketing - otherwise we would have to pay astronomical sums for our cameras

Pentax fan since 1975, never let me down.
08-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

That looks like steel shelving with a wood veneer on top. I use something similar in my garage - those shelves are easily strong enough for me to stand on.
08-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
There was a similar thread for the Winter Olympics in Canada.
08-07-2012, 05:24 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They must be unreliable if they need this many backups.