Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #1

Pentax Wedding Photography?

Anyone here shoot a wedding with the K-5 or K-7's?

08-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #2

Original Poster
And if so, how'd the pictures turn out? Would you switch to Canon or Nikon for a wedding shoot?
08-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I recently shot a wedding for a personal friend with a K-7 and a Tamron 17-55 2.8 lens and Pentax 540FGZ flash (bounce flash mostly). I was very pleased with most of the pictures, but it's the only wedding I've ever done, it was quite challenging inside the reception hall (no windows and fluorescent lighting) and I did it for free, so they didn't expect much to start with. I don't plan to shoot weddings regularly, - just not my cup of tea.
08-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
i have shot 2 weddings so far. I have the K-5 and mostly stick with the Tamron 28-75 2.8 and use a Metz 50AF-1. Im pleased with the majority of the shots as well, I can post some shots up when i get home. If i can figure out how :/

08-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot weddings with 2 K5s, Sigma 17-50, DA* 50-135 and F50 f1.7 along with Metz flashes.
08-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Many times... with my k-5, k-7 and DA* lens, MF Chinon lenses, most recently DA 16-45 lens. I am very pleased with the results. I suppose I can get similar results with equivalent Canikon gears but I just feel more comfortable with k-5 (or k-7); and you get the convenience of TAv mode (with two-dials of course).
08-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #7

Original Poster
So, if you had an option that you had the money for the equivalent of a canon. Would you switch for the image quality/sensor/af-points/etc for a wedding shoot?

Without the excuse of whether it'd be practical

08-04-2012, 03:12 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My wife shoots weddings. She does currently with two K5s, although she shot them back when we had a K20 and a K10 as well. Her photos turn out fine and have with each camera, but she knows how to use various lighting techniques to get good results in various situations. Low light situations have improved a lot with the K5 as has auto focus continuous. And no, I don't think she would switch to Canon or Nikon, just to get more auto focus points. I do think she would be interested in full frame at some point, as long as it didn't mean increasing the size of her camera/lens too much.
08-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steezylistic Quote
So, if you had an option that you had the money for the equivalent of a canon. Would you switch for the image quality/sensor/af-points/etc for a wedding shoot?

Without the excuse of whether it'd be practical
I have never find AF to be an issue at all with the screw drives FA limited, SDM DA* lens or m42 MF lens, therefore it does not do much for me by switching to more expensive and bulky Canikon models. I also have no issues with PTTL flash either, everything performs as expected. I have seen the work from Canon users in the same shooting, they were either too soft or the color is not quite to my taste.
08-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I have never find AF to be an issue at all with the screw drives FA limited, SDM DA* lens or m42 MF lens, therefore it does not do much for me by switching to more expensive and bulky Canikon models. I also have no issues with PTTL flash either, everything performs as expected. I have seen the work from Canon users in the same shooting, they were either too soft or the color is not quite to my taste.
Definitely, I noticed that my friend's Canon 5D MkII shots were not too... contrasty.. per se. The image quality itself was great, but the colors were not as great as my K-x.
08-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Definitely, I noticed that my friend's Canon 5D MkII shots were not too... contrasty.. per se. The image quality itself was great, but the colors were not as great as my K-x.
I have no issues with the k-5 or the k-7 for wedding photos... with my favorite Chinon m42 lens and no need for fill flash either. The shots I have seen from the 5D MKII were washed.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #12

Original Poster
Nice!

Well.. looks like I'll be switching to a k-5 or k-7 when I start shooting weddings.
08-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Nice!

Well.. looks like I'll be switching to a k-5 or k-7 when I start shooting weddings.
Actually there is a lot of thoughts that goes behind every 'proper' shot taken; and the object for me is to get the shots as close to reality as possible just like what one sees through the view finder. The one shown previously is an outdoor shot with my lens facing the sun (a hood is a must) and the brightly lit up concrete foreground acts as a giant reflector so I can see the people's face and their dresses clearly if I shield my eyes from the sun (hence the shot). The sun-lit glow on people's hair also make the shot more real and interesting as well. Again, no one is posting for me... (no one pay attention to me because I have the more stealth k-5/chinon combo)

Here is another example of using the same manual focus lens and hot-shoe flash in manual mode. I am sure one can do the same with k-x or k-r or the equivalent Canikon models, but the k-5 certainly makes the job easier (at least for me anyway).

k-5 Chinon 24/2.5 m42 lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Heres a couple shot with my k-5 and tammy 28-75mm...and sorry it took so long to post, procrastination will be the dea.....well, ill finish that sentence later.

Last edited by Bear; 08-09-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: copied wrong link for image attachment
08-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #15

Original Poster
Wow, great photos Bear.
Is the sensor bigger in the K-5's and K-7's?